Will 1.35 volt RAM work in a desktop mobo that takes 1.5 volt RAM?

I want to upgrade a P55 intel mobo's RAM. It already has a 1.5 volt 2 Gb RAM stick in it. I do have a 1.35volt Crucial 4Gb RAM stick in my parts bin. I could remove the 2 Gb stick and replace it with mine. Will this work? Ideally I want to add mine to the 2Gb already in there, but I don't suppose they would work together. (Or would they?)

Depends on the specific RAM I guess. Some of them are dual voltage (1.35/1.5), so it should work.

I believe to claim it's DDR3, it has to be able to support running at 1.5V, if the system doesn't support 1.35V then it'll just run at 1.5V, if the system supports it, it'll just use a little bit of power and put less strain on the IMC in the CPU, I'd think that a P55 board probably supports 1.35V if you have the most updated BIOS. either way it'll work, just if it runs at 1.5V it may use a virtually unnoticeable amount more power and dissipate a mostly unnoticeable amount of extra heat but the difference between running the ram at 1.35v or 1.5v will cause no noticeable difference, the push to 1.35V was mostly when they got to 32nm and smaller transistors as 1.5V+ ram puts more strain on the integrated memory controller and can possibly shorten the life of the chip, 1.35V memory wasn't a requirement until Intel got down to 22nm.

Just try it out an see if it works. There's no way that it will blow up, and the vast majority of 1.35V compliant memory modules are 1.5V capable through auto-select switching.

Update: Well, I installed my low voltage 1.35 volt RAM in that Intel mobo, didn't remove the 1.5 volt that was already in there, and everything works. Now I have 6gb RAM that is available for the OS.

Back