Wild Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love wild rice, always have. I use it all the time. Trader Joe's 'Organic Lake Wild Rice' from Saskatchewan is excellent and reasonably priced at under $3 per lbs. Thanks Canada!
canada.gif

Is anybody else a wild rice fan?

I love it! I just usually eat brown rice though... probably because my parents were too frugal to buy wild vs. brown, and so it stuck!

I love it as a treat every now and again.

Is there any health difference between wild and brown rice? It seems that wild rice has all the firbous stuff still attached, just like brown rice.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

Is there any health difference between wild and brown rice? It seems that wild rice has all the firbous stuff still attached, just like brown rice.

JMH

Wild "rice" has a much higher protein content that genuine rice. Don't know about the other contents.

Useless Tidbit: Wild "rice" is not a rice.

We like wild rice. It can be incorporated into so many different recipes. I always buy a really big bag of it when we go to Minnesota. It's really inexpensive there.

I watched a show on PBS that you should look up on heirloom grains grown in the South. They were seeking out people that still grew the ancient varieties of wheat, rice and corn. Those grains made your body work to digest them, and were full of complex nutrients. They said that some of the common rices had a drugging quality on the dinner guests.

Does the rice that is purchased in a large store any good?,like Riceland,brown in a box ok? or gust plain white rice like at Wallace world,what are the pro and cons:,,BL

What kind of rice are you looking for? There are a few types and quality varies greatly. You got basically long, medium and short grain rice. The shorter the grain the stickier the rice. For example, arborio rice for risotto and sushi rice are of the short-grained, stickier variety. Long grain rice, like typical US-grown rice, is more suitable where a loose, non-sticky, rice is wanted.

Brown rice variants that retain the germ and bran are nutritionally superior their polished counter parts. Polished, white rice is usually fortified with vitamins , but it if you choose this type rice, get the more expensive kind that has not been treated (coated) with talc, starch or glucose.

In some cases, rice from a fresh crop is much tastier and commands a premium price. A good Japanese short grain rice can cost over $20 for a 15 lbs sack. Check you local Asia supermarket, because they usually offer a good selection.

If you want a good arborio rice, go to an Italian supermarket. You get the idea.

Trader Joe's Canadian wild rice is of pretty good quality at about $3 per pounds.

We've switched most of our GP rice to Basmaitti, as its better GI is good with the kids (and prolly us too). Although the kids LOVE brown rice with turmeric and cardomom seeds.

We don't keep arborio rice, as that stuff can be turned into theat vile risotto stuff :hurl:

(an ounce of prevention and whatnot)

When buying long grain rice I also go with Indian basmati. The locally grown basmati is a GMO.

Pablo,
for some reason, I just loathe risotto.

I don't mind barley risottos once a year or so, but rice risotto is not my scene at all.

Pablo,
I've had it twice at resteraunts (pumpkin for one, and a chickeny sort of one), and a few times at my parents, and another couple at friend's houses.

I think it's the texture, and the merging of all the flavours that turn me off (I like the textures and flavours of stir frys/steam fries)

Baked risotto is not as sticky as the typical, stirred risotto. I don't care for squishy food e(other than mashed potatoes) either. Gruel, grits, oatmeal and other stuff that looks like it's already been eaten before are all pretty revolting to me.
smile.gif

Naming something "gruel" is just setting a bad destiny for any food substance
smile.gif
Glad the Germanic word for steak or lobster or berry cobbler wasn't "gruel".

Risotto need not be gloppy/predigested or even like grout.

I had some good risotto in this North Beach restaurant. It's one of the better local trattorie. If you ever come to SF, try their food. Of course, you may be more tempted by the 'Stinking Rose.' Just follow the smell...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back