Wikipedia

Do you donate to Wikipedia? Their annual fundraiser is in full swing. I use it a lot. I have donated in the past. $20 or so. What’s their deal? Hurting for donations or worth a fortune?

Wikipedia is great and I love their mission. I used to donate but after reviewing them on Charity Navigator I realized they don't need my money. They bring in more money than they spend and are doing quite well. I re-check each year and if that trend reverses I'd consider donating.

Wikipedia is great and I love their mission. I used to donate but after reviewing them on Charity Navigator I realized they don't need my money. They bring in more money than they spend and are doing quite well. I re-check each year and if that trend reverses I'd consider donating.
Wow. I didn't realize that their Executive Director makes more than $350,000/yr. That's not a small sum of money.

I give them some money & do use the site + it does not suffer advertising overload …
Also, I realize which way it leans … but compared to google & fake book … it’s fair …

I used to donate. I used to participate a lot. Several WWII equipment pages still carry my contributions, as well as some other hobbies like computer CPU's.

Since then I have not been allowed to participate.

First my edits got rejected because I cited primary sources. Only the media can be cited. So if there is a press release of the specs for a product, you can't use that, only reprints of it elsewhere. Army service manual? Web page for product? All primary source, sorry, no. Rejected.

Then my edits on a modern military program got rejected because an employee of a competitor product/service camps out on a page and doesn't let any objectivity through. It's BAE's side, or nothing.

Then my edits got rejected by a political type that doesn't let anything positive through for the "other side". Even with citations of "main-stream" media.

Done with Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m spending $200 a month for cable. Wife is an addict. I use wiki more than I can count and I have learned so much from that site. They’re begging me for $2.50 a year. Please explain that. I’m not defending them or criticizing them. Just want to understand how this works.

I don’t personally. In school we were told never to use it so I have not used it much at all.

We were told the same thing. I used it anyway, but I would just click on the source and use that as my source.

I've never donated to Wikipedia and probably won't start this year. I've used it less and less over the years.

You wouldn't donate if you knew how bad their admins and moderators are about certain topics.

Wow. I didn't realize that their Executive Director makes more than $350,000/yr. That's not a small sum of money.

I think about a third of their budget goes to salaries. I heard they made some money through merchandise, but then I saw their 990 and it's a tiny amount compared to donations. Keeping everything running must take a lot of people.

I have in the past, and contribute to their Canadian nuclear info, but haven't this year and some of the stuff presented in this thread has certainly given me pause on doing so.

I never give to charities directly. Sometimes I find their electricity provider and make a payment on their account, or something similar. But to give money directly and trust it's going to the actual running of the establishment instead of private jets and multimillion dollar mansions, nope, not gonna do it.

Back