Wikipedia: Sludge prone engine list:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, taken with 2 grains of salt. A savvy Toyota exec would log in add some ** like "GM engines w/ Piston slap problems".
"SAE reports Camry engines save fuel by burning sludge."

Oh wait, my GM truck has that problem... I'll shut up now.

~Sail

What are you talking about?
The list is legit.
It has been around for ages.
Even Consumer Reports has published its take on it with some extra warranty guidelines.

-

quote:

Taken with a grain of salt. WIkipedia is a cool resource but can be edited by anyone.

While anyone can submit edits, not every edit makes it to the Wiki. And, all of the engines listed have a known history of sludge issues. Do a little research.

J

> So if you have one of these sludge prone engines - your advice to this person would just be to change your oil more often? (Every 3k with dino, maybe 5k with synthetic)?
I have one, and my answer is a solid yes.

There are at least a couple on the list that REQUIRE synthetic oil to maintain warranty coverage; the VW & the Audi.

I have yet to see one proven case in which an owner of either the VW or Audi changed the oil as prescribed in their owner's manual with VW 502.00 rated synthetic, & still suffered sludge. Even the Audi with it's 10k mile OCI, still has a clause in the owners manual that says the oil should be changed more frequently if it is operated in severe service.

People don't read their owners manuals.
mad.gif

I don't see what Wiki got wrong? It says "Fixes include changing to synthetic oil, inspection, and even engine replacement." Or were you referring to the engine type designation being wrong?

Yeah, engine designation. The affected Saab engines are the B205/B235 series, not the B204/B234. The B205 is in base turbo 4 cyl 9-3's (2000-on) and 5's while the B235 is in the Viggen and the 9-5 Aero.

quote:

There are at least a couple on the list that REQUIRE synthetic oil to maintain warranty coverage; the VW & the Audi.

I have yet to see one proven case in which an owner of either the VW or Audi changed the oil as prescribed in their owner's manual with VW 502.00 rated synthetic, & still suffered sludge. Even the Audi with it's 10k mile OCI, still has a clause in the owners manual that says the oil should be changed more frequently if it is operated in severe service.

People don't read their owners manuals.

Pretty much, I remember reading numerous things on owners just taking it to the quick lube and complaining when they have problems. If they would have used a factory spec oil in the first place the problem wouldn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back