WiFi extended to detached garage

Cruzer4326

I need some tech help.
I need to extend my WiFi range into my garage, about 175' away. I can get a weak WiFi signal in the garage with the doors open-nothing when closed.
I have DSL internet service with Frontier as my ISP in my house. I use an Arris NVG443B Modem/ Wifi Router.
I have a shielded Cat 5E (about 225') in a conduit going to my detached garage.
What more do I need to finish the job?

I need some tech help.
I need to extend my WiFi range into my garage, about 175' away. I can get a weak WiFi signal in the garage with the doors open-nothing when closed.
I have DSL internet service with Frontier as my ISP in my house. I use an Arris NVG443B Modem/ Wifi Router.
I have a shielded Cat 5E (about 225') in a conduit going to my detached garage.
What more do I need to finish the job?
Connect a wireless access point to the Cat5E cable in your garage and you are good to go. You should be able to use the same SSID as you use within your house.

Good job and you're very lucky having that ran out there. Did you do that ?
Yes.
I buried a conduit 12 years ago, when I was installing a new electric service to my property. I'm an electrician by trade.
Last year I pulled the cable in that conduit. I ruptured a couple discs in my back shortly thereafter and stopped progress.
I'm almost all healed up now and when I get back to work, I'll put in the WAP.

Also powerline ethernet if you have power in the garage, it converts ethernet to signal going through the AC and then on the other side back to ethernet.

Also powerline ethernet if you have power in the garage, it converts ethernet to signal going through the AC and then on the other side back to ethernet.

Why would he use that when he said he has Cat5e cable going to his garage?

Hmmm, I thought the IEEE specs for IEEE 802.0x networks have a limit of 100m meters between active components such as routers and bridges..

Hmmm, I thought the IEEE specs for IEEE 802.0x networks have a limit of 100m meters between active components such as routers and bridges..
100m=328 ft. Should be fine. Just need to understand the power aspect. POE requires a compatible switch or router or POE injector. Otherwise just connect the network cable and then power @ an outlet.

Last edited:

It’s not necessary here since he’s got an Ethernet cable already out to the garage.

Update;
I was going thru some old boxes and found these 3 items:
1.) Netgear AC1200 Router
2.) CISCO Linksys E2500 Router
3.) Box that the ARRIS router came in that contains a POE adapter

Recalling my ISP providers, I used to get my Internet service through RF service that used the Netgear router and I changed to DSL when Frontier updated their service in my area several years ago.
The CISCO router is one that I inherited when my in-laws passed away several years ago.

My question now is this;
Can one of these routers be used as a WAP?
If so, how do I go about setting the password/access so that I have seamless WiFi?

You can use a router as a WAP if you do the following:

1)Connect the LAN side to your network. Do not use the WAN port.

2)Set the LAN side IP address to an IP address on your network.

3)Turn OFF the DHCP server. (You may need to do these last two steps before you connect it to the rest of your network, like from a laptop connected directly to a LAN port on the router).

All you need to do for "seamless" WiFi is to set the SSID, key, and security type to be the same on all your access points.

You can use a router as a WAP if you do the following:

1)Connect the LAN side to your network. Do not use the WAN port.

2)Set the LAN side IP address to an IP address on your network.

3)Turn OFF the DHCP server. (You may need to do these last two steps before you connect it to the rest of your network, like from a laptop connected directly to a LAN port on the router).

All you need to do for "seamless" WiFi is to set the SSID, key, and security type to be the same on all your access points.
Thank You, I'll try this.
My tech skills are limited but I'll give it a shot.
If I remember correctly, I access the router(s) through the 195.162.xxx.xxx something address, right?

Thank You, I'll try this.
My tech skills are limited but I'll give it a shot.
If I remember correctly, I access the router(s) through the 195.162.xxx.xxx something address, right?

Usually it's 192.168.0.1 or something, but find the manual for your particular router and see. You might need to do a factory reset on the router first.

I have the same question to my shed, but I don't have a dedicated Cat5 cable just a weak WiFi. I take it this would be my answer?

It’s not necessary here since he’s got an Ethernet cable already out to the garage.
My bad, forgot about this.

I have the same question to my shed, but I don't have a dedicated Cat5 cable just a weak WiFi. I take it this would be my answer?
Yes, that's how I would do it if they are on the same meter. I am getting 500mbps instead of the advertised 2000, but still much better than wifi going through many walls.

Back