WiFi 6 Mesh Systems Linksys (Cisco) vs ORBI (Netgear) and 2 node vs 3 node (boy have I got Questions)

The Home:

A early 70's partial brick basement ranch on concrete block. Approximately 3200 total SQF. It has a deck/porch across the back as well. If does have some Aluminum Foil insulation (I'm not kidding) and some of it will be replaced, but perhaps not all.

The NEEDs:

I need strong WiFi on the porch and throughout the house, if it will reach the pad 50 or so yards behind the house where the future garage will be that would be great too. Though I may string CAT6 through old phone jacks during the somewhat extensive remodel, i need it to perform well over a wireless backhaul.

I do have WiFi 6 capable devices with more planned in the future. and i have gigabit service coming in.

The Questions:

So, Between he ORBI AX6000 and Linsys Velop do we see any clear advantage (other than price) to either one either in specs or personal experience.

Additionally, while documentation seems to indicate a 2 node system is sufficient the extra nodes are in short supply so if i only buy a 2 node system I'm sunk if it does not blanket the house. In actual real work conditions will a 2 node system blanket this residence with strong signal over a wireless backhaul... without a doubt ... or should i just go straight to OVERkill with 3 nodes.

Ethernet through the house and using a couple access points will work better than mesh, but mesh would be a good thing to get you started if you don't have ethernet at the ready. Downside is the price. I think the Netgear mesh can be linked with ethernet backhaul once you get your ethernet wired.

Install several access points that are connected to the network via CAT6 cable. Wired access points are better than a mesh. You can get UNIFI ones for $100 each. Outside ones also.

Cisco no longer owns Linksys, it has been owned by Belkin for several years now.

If you are running CAT6, just put in dedicated AP's. I'd recommend, if budget is a concern, the Aruba Instant On AP22 is a good value. Those + a PoE switch and you can place as many AP's you need for full coverage.

There is no way to tell if you need 2 or 3 nodes from here. Try it and find out yourself. Way too many factors that can come into play with radio frequencies. The WIFI backhaul will work, but your speeds and pings may go down a little bit (which may not matter depending on what you are doing with it). Why not get it up and running with the WIFI backhaul and implement the wired ethernet backhaul when and if you install the wire? WIFI backhaul performance will be dependent on the signal quality as well.

Last edited:
I said I MAY string CAT6 but it won’t be quick and I need it working like this week... I should not have even mentioned it.

it also needs to be fairly easy to set up and seamless in operation...

If Belken owns Linksys that might just make my mind up.

im not really concerned about the cost as long as it works..

Why not get it up and running with the WIFI backhaul and implement the wired ethernet backhaul when and if you install the wire? WIFI backhaul performance will be dependent on the signal quality as well.

Kinda what I’m thinking, the ORBI does have sufficient connections to do this. YouTube FWIW seems to have it performing quite well on a wireless backhaul.

What I was afraid of on the nodes. if I could readily get extras I would buy 2 and try, since I can’t I guess I’ll have to swallow the price of 3 ...

Move to strike OP's post as too general.. we need more specific information

There are several kinds of mesh.. mesh by itself doesnt mean wifi hops.

you can have mesh with wired backhaul or wireless backhaul.

Where in the house is the internet source located? Do you have any existing ethernet?

you might need to walk around the house to test for signal strength.. easy way is to install a regular router.. then walk around with a smartphone with a wifi signal app. to see how much the structure blocks the signal.

now move that router to where you would place the wifi mesh node or AP. repeat signal walk.

that would tell you if you need 1,2 or 3.

I might be a bit more on the paranoid side. I would go with the follow order if possible, even if it means overkill on the signal strength:

1) Wired backhaul with CAT6, and blanket line of sight with access points / routers.
2) Powerline ethernet adapter backhaul instead of CAT6, blanket line of sight with access points / routers.
3) A wifi repeater / mesh every time line of sight takes a turn as a way to repeat signal strength, so 3 nodes system is better than 2, I believe in physics.
4) For the same mesh nodes amount, I would guess Orbi would likely be better than "lesser" brands like TP Link or Linksys, just gut instinct, not scientifically proven.

I personally use 2) above. Cost of Powerline ethernet adapters add up but it is IMO worth the cost. Get the one with AV2 / MIMO, and expect those 2000bps bandwidth to get to only 500 or so due to wire condition, but still way overkill for most internet need.

But the Unifi access points as I have suggested. They will mesh together just fine. If you install CAT6 network you can connect all of the Unifi access points wired vs just one.

Only have experience with Orbi RBK852 and RBK752. If I recall correctly the RBK852 has more channels for the wireless interconnect.
You should move every wireless device to the newest possible radio standard in order to get them to play well (i.e. most speed and least interference) with the mesh. Especially if you plan to stream TV (I use wired for TV, but have a couple iPads that stream stuff).

I looked at the technology a bit when I purchased 9 months ago. Seems it'll be similar to stuff going into 5G.

In my house the units are at the front and rear of a rectangular shaped house, and I use wired 1Gbps Ethernet interconnect. (Parents house got the RBK752 with wireless interconnect). Coverage outside the house is good to excellent; it never was before with a single Nighthawk 3 year old device.

Management is mainly via an app installed on a smartphone, and, you can enable remote mgmt also (for supporting parents).

No real glitches. No reboots, other than for firmware upgrades in the beginning. Just have to let the antivirus software trial period expire. It doesn't nag much.

Walking from the range of one node to the other node is seamless. I never see nor hear an interruption.

Only have experience with Orbi RBK852 and RBK752. If I recall correctly the RBK852 has more channels for the wireless interconnect.

Walking from the range of one node to the other node is seamless. I never see nor hear an interruption.

Thank you very much. The RBK850 series is the one I'm considering. (in fact I will probably pick it up today)

But the Unifi access points as I have suggested. They will mesh together just fine. If you install CAT6 network you can connect all of the Unifi access points wired vs just one.
Physics is physics. They will mesh just fine if the line of sight is good, so will other brands with sufficient power and SNR. Without seeing how the signal is it is hard to recommend one or the other, or you can just assume the worst case and put in the most stable options: wired.

I suppose it may be true of others or even all, but one of the things being said about why the ORBI AX6000 is the most expensive unit out there is that it supposedly has a dedicated 5G radio in each unit just for the backhaul. as a result the wireless backhaul does not impede the wireless performance...

Guess we will see...

I suppose it may be true of others or even all, but one of the things being said about why the ORBI AX6000 is the most expensive unit out there is that it supposedly has a dedicated 5G radio in each unit just for the backhaul. as a result the wireless backhaul does not impede the wireless performance...

Guess we will see...
This is likely true, but, 5GHz does not penetrate wall well and it does not travel as well as 2.4GHz, so the physics of wall blocking things are likely still there. If I absolutely must use it I would use them like mirror, every time I need to bounce things around the corner I put one there to repeat the signal around a corner. It may not be needed but it will definitely help.

Or let it decide and use 2.4GHz to go through walls.

This is likely true, but, 5GHz does not penetrate wall well and it does not travel as well as 2.4GHz, so the physics of wall blocking things are likely still there. If I absolutely must use it I would use them like mirror, every time I need to bounce things around the corner I put one there to repeat the signal around a corner. It may not be needed but it will definitely help.

Or let it decide and use 2.4GHz to go through walls.
too many wifi points can also cause issues. you need them spread out enough.