Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 - official thread/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ou
Originally Posted By: jigen
One thing that I have noticed with the 6 is with the power windows. When you shut the car down you can only put up the drivers side window. If any others are down you have to turn the car back on to ACC mode (push start button twice with no foot on the brake) and roll them up.

Lol this is crazy, any car I've driven in the past decade let me rollup windows after I shut the car off. I hope I am missing something here. x_x

I also find the info displayed on the dash to be inaccurate. According to this thing I have always been averaging 23mph. The speed sounds realistic since I do a lot of around town driving but it never budged one MPH...

I have the manual trans and after my first fill-up I averaged 27.5 MPG. This was 100% around town driving and 0% hwy. I wasn't too easy on the car either, not hard but I could have went more for MPG. We'll see how it goes.

Our avg MPG display on wife's 6 have been pretty accurate - they have been almost exactly what the manual calc's showed.
you might need to reset-re-calibrate yours, it's unusual that it doesn't vary. (Our average MPGs so far have been between 31-35 MPG in mixed but more hwy driving)

One thing that I have noticed with the 6 is with the power windows. When you shut the car down you can only put up the drivers side window. If any others are down you have to turn the car back on to ACC mode (push start button twice with no foot on the brake) and roll them up.

Lol this is crazy, any car I've driven in the past decade let me rollup windows after I shut the car off. I hope I am missing something here. x_x

I would bet that this is a response to potential legal issues of kids rolling up the window on their fingers.

I bet that if you go to the dealer you can ask them to program the Body Control Module to do what you want. You may have to sign a waiver though.

My BMW reserves ACC power for about 20 min I think, after engine has been completely stopped and key taken out.

BMW owners buy the BCM software and program / code a a lot of options not available in the US. Like windows rolling UP with the remote, 3-blink turn signal, sunroof close when rain detected, auto door lock at 5 mph, fogs stay on with brights, euro-hazards, etc etc...
-all you need is to buy the software and the OBD cable (like $65 online and a windows XP laptop.
(I am hoping to get some of those things changed on my 330Ci too - dealer will charge a LOT for just pushing a few buttons, and they won't do some of those things at all due to legal issues)

Sooner or later someone might sell Mazda software too...although it doesn't have the huge aftermarket mod community like BMW does...

But asking the dealer is a good idea - they MIGHT do it.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, on my CX-5, you can adjust things like when the/how many doors lock and unlock, or even relock, and the 3 blink turn signal function through the radio/back up camera system.

I did that for the 3 blink turn signal, and to change when the doors locked and unlocked.

BC.

Is there a setting section you can get to for this? I can't imagine the cx-5 having this and not the mazda6. But maybe I'm wrong lol.

BTW, it's time to update your sig line, as it still lists the 2003 Elantra in there!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
BTW, it's time to update your sig line, as it still lists the 2003 Elantra in there!
smile.gif

yeah the Elantra will remain there - will be the spare car.
97tbird will most prob. go
frown.gif

2 Fill-ups so far, both hand calculated at the pump, both averages exactly the same 27.5MPG.

I wonder if my around town driving style will bring in this number regardless? Maybe I can try being a little harder on the engine this fill to see what numbers it brings.

2 Fill-ups so far, both hand calculated at the pump, both averages exactly the same 27.5MPG.

I wonder if my around town driving style will bring in this number regardless? Maybe I can try being a little harder on the engine this fill to see what numbers it brings.

We are getting about the same with the 13' hand calculated, you should be doing better than that I would think.

I bet the climatic difference between Florida and Pennsylvania is responsible for most of that difference. With my '11 Camry, I averaged in the upper 20s as well, but I'm in North Carolina, where temperatures are usually fairly warm (often better for fuel economy). His location in Pennsylvania may be more hilly than for someone in Florida as well. That can make a dramatic difference.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I bet the climatic difference between Florida and Pennsylvania is responsible for most of that difference. With my '11 Camry, I averaged in the upper 20s as well, but I'm in North Carolina, where temperatures are usually fairly warm (often better for fuel economy). His location in Pennsylvania may be more hilly than for someone in Florida as well. That can make a dramatic difference.

Very good point.

It's a little hilly, and temps didn't start hitting the 50's-60's until just this past week. I haven't done any highway mileage at all yet, so we will see after a few more tanks.

Do you have instantaneous gauge? If so, it becomes obvious as to where your fuel is going. Every time you push on the gas pedal, your mileage drops to single digit. If I drive extremely consciously by putting one eye on that gauge, I can get the 3.5L V6 Acura TL to give me close to 32 real (and indicated) mpg in daily commuting routine but if I am not watching it, it will struggle to approach 30 and if I am "enjoying" the car, I would be lucky to get 26 mpg to the tank.

And if I running errands around the town, I am looking at twenties. So unless you take it on a long highway drive, don't think too much about the reported or observed mileage.

In all honesty, that's pretty good when you're just starting off with a new car, getting it broken in, and are getting used to the various nuances of how the car performs.

For comparison's sake, my CX-5 with the same engine (not sure if you have a manual or auto) has just over 1300 miles on it now, and in town, I've been getting around 24 mpg, and this past Saturday, I decided to do a very specific highway mileage test.

I got out onto I-70, east of Denver, filled the tank at a gas station, drove 50 miles in one direction, turned around, and went back to the same gas station and refilled. I left the cruise control locked on at 75 mph (speed limit) and stuck to the right lane. I put on 107.4 miles total on my highway speed fuel test, and got 30.03 mpg.

Not too shabby, in my opinion.

BC.

we've had 2 fill ups so far:
manual calc's are 34 MPG and 32.5 MPG avg (but my wife's work to drive involves VERY little city, it's almost 90% on a road at 65 mph cruise on...

and yeah the car does have an instant mpg display; one can toggle between instant/avg/miles to empty.

Wow that's a surprising list. Not a single German vehicle? The Spark being on that list makes me want to sit in one now.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back