Wife's 2014 Mazda 6 - official thread/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that kinda jumped out at me was the fact that Mazda moved the parking brake on the driver side which I think is MUCH better than having it on the passenger side. Whenever I have a passenger in the front seat it is always awkward pulling the brake after parking and brushing against the passengers leg....especially on a first date.
whistle.gif

that previous gen interior is very reminiscent of my 3i 2006 interior. Circle vents and cloth/plastic is the same. im definitely a fan of the materials in the new car

Man, the Mazda 6 is a very nice looking car! Inside and out! Now you new 6 owners need to follow GMFan's example and make sure you use Kendall for your OC's. Love that oil!

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Now you new 6 owners need to follow GMFan's example and make sure you use Kendall for your OC's. Love that oil!

Too hard to obtain, and does it even come in a 0W-20 in the first place?

BC.

Originally Posted By: hefe

I went to a shop recommended to me by a local forum. Shop is called TVP ..website is tvpauto.com and the owner is Pete.
only thing about his shop is that you will feel like a buster with your new 6 when its sitting next to a couple teslas and a porsche while its being tinted..
smile.gif

They do an awesome job but it was pricier than my last car. (last time i went to formula one..decent job but they broke my rearview mirror)
He uses suntek carbon films..they are warrantied for life (most films are i believe). was quoted 240 for the suntek and 300 for carbon xp film which also blocks heat as well as visible light. I went with the xp..from looking around online i may have paid a little too much, although its comparable to a ceramic tint and they are usually around 300 or so.
you could easily get a good job done for 200 or maybe less
35% is the lowest legal allowed in NC.

Thanks for the indo - I will shop around a bit, and let you know when we get ours done...
- did you notice ANY change in sensitivity/function of BSM, rear cross traffic alert, keyless entry, auto-dimming, FM reception etc after installing the tint?
(I've heard that some ceramic tints can interfere with sensors/signals etc, but I never had any problem on my BMW after installing a ceramic tint...)

Beautiful rides, both of them. Congrats.

I really like the new 6 inside and out. The wife and I stopped at the dealership to look at one- not really with the intent on buying one, but we both kinda agreed if the stars aligned we might consider it.

The 184hp standard and only engine choice basically makes it a non-starter for me. I have not heard if Mazda may drop one in or release a MazdaSpeed version at some point, but it's foolish of them if they don't.

Why they're positioning another gen of 6 to be mainstream with the Accords and Camrys of the world is beyond me. Of course, they see the sales numbers of the Accord and Camry and want in on some of that action. But that's not how it's turned out. The 2nd gen was a step down performance-wise compared to the 1st gen. Sales were still dwarfed by the competition.

The sensible, non-exhilarating, driving appliance segment is going to be dominated by the usual suspects forever it seems. Mazda should be comfortable in it's own skin and keep a healthy dose of zoom zoom in their products. A sexy bod and 19" wheels mated to 184hp in a mid-sizer isn't quite the zoom zoom Mazda enthusiasts and repeat customers hoped to see in this current gen.

Mazda's resources seem more limited now since they don't have their relationship with Ford anymore. I am sure Mazda would love to make all these engine options, but I am not sure how it will fit into their budget. Isn't this partially the reason why Mazda and Alfa Romeo are building the new Miata together?

I do question the release of a diesel Mazda 6 in the States though. It seems like more American buyers would jump for a quick V6 instead. Just thinking out loud here.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Mazda's resources seem more limited now since they don't have their relationship with Ford anymore. I am sure Mazda would love to make all these engine options, but I am not sure how it will fit into their budget. Isn't this partially the reason why Mazda and Alfa Romeo are building the new Miata together?

I do question the release of a diesel Mazda 6 in the States though. It seems like more American buyers would jump for a quick V6 instead. Just thinking out loud here.

They've got serviceable turbo 4's and sixes in their stable. I can see with limited resources not being to develop a unique engine just for this application, but just plug in what you've already got on the shelf.

Heck don't even bother with AWD. Put in a lump with 250 or so hp with a manual trans and a sport tune on the already capable chassis.

That's what I'm talking about

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Why they're positioning another gen of 6 to be mainstream with the Accords and Camrys of the world is beyond me.

Well, it IS a FWD family sedan. It may have a good chassis setup, but it still IS a FWD family sedan. It's not a Miata. It's not a Cayman. It's not an Enzo. It's a FWD family sedan.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Thanks for the indo - I will shop around a bit, and let you know when we get ours done...
- did you notice ANY change in sensitivity/function of BSM, rear cross traffic alert, keyless entry, auto-dimming, FM reception etc after installing the tint?
(I've heard that some ceramic tints can interfere with sensors/signals etc, but I never had any problem on my BMW after installing a ceramic tint...)

the tint they used on my car was actually not ceramic (i had asked him about it and apparently through their testing they preferred suntek cxp over the ceramics) no difference in any of the sensors or radar detector or anything that i can tell. I do love the nice heat reduction..i definitely suggest getting the higher end tint that has heat rejecting properties..makes a huge difference with the black interior.

Thanks - I remember the tint shop offering me clear front windshield heat protection film when I got my BMW tinted...at that time I declined, but I sort of regret it a bit now...I can still get it done, of course.

I will shop around a bit and let the wife also know about heat rejection film vs non-. she has the black leatherette interior, so like you said, it will def. be worth it in the long run...

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
The 184hp standard and only engine choice basically makes it a non-starter for me. I have not heard if Mazda may drop one in or release a MazdaSpeed version at some point, but it's foolish of them if they don't.

A sexy bod and 19" wheels mated to 184hp in a mid-sizer isn't quite the zoom zoom Mazda enthusiasts and repeat customers hoped to see in this current gen.

Originally Posted By: jigen

Mazda is phasing out all of the V-6 engines, because they currently have to buy them From Ford, at a severe markup, only to have the fuel economy penalty across their entire product line, not to mention the fact that if they have to repair one under warranty, they then have to pay even more for parts, from Ford.

If you want more torque in your Mazda's, you need to wait for the turbo diesel. If you want more hp, you have to wait a good long time.

And, unless you have driven the new 6 with the 184 hp engine, you can't really claim that it's too little as of yet.

What Mazda has done, was they looked at the number of sales of the midsize segment, realized that 90% of them are 4 cylinder engines, and went that way. If all you want is more power, the other car companies have you covered right now. If you want the best looking car in the segment, with the best driving dynamics, then you will buy the Mazda.

What's the point of driving a boring car, that only wakes you up when you floor the throttle in a straight line? Mazda wants you fully engaged in the car from the moment you open your front door and walk towards it.

They have that covered in spades, honestly.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: JavierG
Now you new 6 owners need to follow GMFan's example and make sure you use Kendall for your OC's. Love that oil!

Too hard to obtain, and does it even come in a 0W-20 in the first place?

BC.

Yes Kendall makes an 0w20....it seems to do the job just fine. I will likely do a UOA on my current fill. I order it from an oil distributor in Pennsylvania. Even with shipping I get it for about $4/qt by the case. I ordered a bunch of cases so price may have gone up since.

Looks like a very nice car.

Mazda only gave me a re-manufactured VCR when I bought my Protege5.

The "unreliable AT" in my Protege5 has broken down....never and still shifts very good at 210k. From my experience with MT I would have have done at least one clutch replacement. The "liability" or "hidden costs down the road" argument is not correct in my experiences. There are quite a few cars around with MT issues also.

And already 1000 miles - wifey took this pic today. (on the extremely empty road she takes to work)

(Funny how the 'current MPG' display goes to 99.9 MPG when you coast)
we have put about 940 miles on the car since we bought it, and it came with a full tank of gas, and now we're on the 2nd tank -
you can see how much is left of the 2nd tank in this pic.
(a manual calculation will be done at the end of this tank, and wifey said the avg MPG is showing 34 MPG right now...)

543739_10200170443118589_462506003_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Funny how the 'current MPG' display goes to 99.9 MPG when you coast

Our Dodges would get up to 99.9 MPG on the INST MPG display, too. Our Cadillacs would stop at something like 70 MPG.

Our CR-V and MDX both have bar graphs for the instantaneous display. The CR-V's graph stops a bit above 60 MPG and the MDX's graph stops at 50 MPG. I can either *drive* at that MPG (such as on a slight downhill, with the pedal depressed slightly), or *coast* at that MPG (where fuel is cut and MPG is technically infinite for that moment).

I'd like for it to display a small infinity symbol next to the end of the graph to indicate when the fuel injectors are turned off and you are literally getting infinite MPG.

One thing that I have noticed with the 6 is with the power windows. When you shut the car down you can only put up the drivers side window. If any others are down you have to turn the car back on to ACC mode (push start button twice with no foot on the brake) and roll them up.

Lol this is crazy, any car I've driven in the past decade let me rollup windows after I shut the car off. I hope I am missing something here. x_x

I also find the info displayed on the dash to be inaccurate. According to this thing I have always been averaging 23mph. The speed sounds realistic since I do a lot of around town driving but it never budged one MPH...

I have the manual trans and after my first fill-up I averaged 27.5 MPG. This was 100% around town driving and 0% hwy. I wasn't too easy on the car either, not hard but I could have went more for MPG. We'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back