wife wants to trade in her car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I simply wanted to know opinions on the Honda and given the issues the pt was having would you cinsidering trading. I wasn't necessarily looking for the financial advice end of it other than if the asking price seemed reasonable ect.

See, thing is, there were no issues really per your commentary (which I quoted earlier above). Additionally, like it or not, but a vehicle purchase is the second largest purchase most folks will ever make - yes, it's substantial, and thus it is inherently, like it or not, part of the thought process when asking about considering trading a car. It just is what it is. And to add one more, we never did actually get a straight answer on the Honda, given that your math never has added up.

So let's recap:
-bad relationship situation (which were all glad you're working through, but as third parties who know you and not her, were actually looking out for you)
-changing jobs
-two young children
-new car on payments
-low mileage pt cruiser with questionable reasoning behind trading

Of course the practical/financial/protectionist (it's her asset that you're on the hook form, get it?) opinion is going to come out.

Certainly a few more miles on the pt and a bit more checking of the AT is prudent. Looks like you're on the right path.

Good luck.

I simply wanted to know opinions on the Honda and given the issues the pt was having would you cinsidering trading. I wasn't necessarily looking for the financial advice end of it other than if the asking price seemed reasonable ect. I may have not been clear on that and if I waant I apologize. I haven't really told you guys that much about my personal life. You know my wife is a manager for Mc Donalds you do not know which manager and you know I'm a tech but you know neither of our earnings or our payments ect. And really those things need not be discussed in detail anyway. If I say I can financially afford something you should take me at my word since this isn't a financial forum and is an auto forum. But its done and over now we have decided to keep the pt. I will be changing oil and Trans fluid in the next few days and see what happens. If it ends up needing a Trans I'll just replace it when it does .

a few thoughts:
-search the forum sales for coupons for atf+4 (if i'm not mistaken)
-check what else you can do in terms of "better ride quality" (tires, suspension,soundproofing, chair padding)
-in about 2 months, you will be the new guy, but will know a few guys... since january/february may be a slow months (maybe not) you may be the lucky one and get a better deal on your way. had a friend get a honda with a shot engine for 3k from an acquaintance, fix it right, use it for 1/2 year and sell it for 8k...
-there are a few guys that kept the pt's going for more than 100k on this forum...

P.S. i wish you all 4 the most and the best. never an easy feeling (debt free or not) to not have a reliable ride for wife and kids DD....
P.S. to P.S.: please work on your people skills. and remember you are at the next job to learn EVERYTHING about those cars... this could make you the guy that never has to worry about enough work...

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I say get the honda accord. it would be good to save for it. but in this economy err recession, you got to have reliable transportation for work. if the PT cruiser trans is dying, I would dump it.

My sister had a 05 PT Cruiser convertible, the air condition didn't work and the convertible top broke. the mechanic told her that chrysler didn't make parts for the convertible top anymore and she would have to get a junkyard part. she didn't like that all. she traded it in after 1 year. she bought it used in 2012.

I don't believe that story. Manufacturers are required to make parts for 10 years after a model is discontinued. I know this from having Brockway trucks after Mack bought them. They still had to make the parts, even though they never made the truck.

There is no such requirement in auto parts. There are decade old cars and newer where the OE has discontinued parts, especially body/trim parts, and especially on oddball models like the PT convertibles. I see it fairly often. The OEMs would lose a lot of money if they had to crank out a supply of parts for 10 years after every model was discontinued.

Mack probably kept making Brockway parts because they were selling them easily. Medium and heavy trucks do not get recycled as quickly as cars do.
Soo, I researched and you are sorta correct. 50 years ago, car makers were required to produce parts for 20 years for every model produced. In the 80s that got dropped to 10 years and now, its only for as long as the warranty is in effect. Although they are sometimes required to produce the emissions equipment for anywhere from 8 to 15 years. Also car manufacturers may decide to go beyond their obligations. GM produces accessories for 2 years after a model is discontinued and 5 years on interior parts and 8 years on mechanical parts. My big question is how is Dodge going to work this on the lifetime warranty, because my Hemi is under warranty till 2077.

Whats kind of sad is that you had a Civic that was running well that you decided to get rid of for this 'cream puff' 'cant-miss' PT Cruiser.

Keeping the PT is a good choice.
It's a very low mileage car and should give another three or four years of reliable service.
My wife usually has a newer and nicer daily driver than I do but she really couldn't care less what she drives as long as it's reliable, capable of comfortably running up to eighty or so and has solid heat and air.
You're a mechanic. You can keep the PT running reliably for very little money and it's not as though you'll actually have to work on it more than a time or two each year.
The Accord would likely give about 10% better fuel economy, but from what you've posted about your wife's typical use, no car will give particularly good fuel economy. We see an average of about 25 mpg as my wife uses our '12 Accord, which consists mainly of her fifteen miles each way commute through traffic. Yeah, it'll give 34 mpg on a road trip with the cruise set around 75 mph, but those aren't the majority of the miles it sees.
Any Accord of the last five generations is a better car than any PT Cruiser in every way, but the PT is the car you have and might as well keep.
The finances will never work out in favor of a used Accord as a replacement for a useable, low miles car.
Good used Accords aren't cheap and cheap used Accords aren't good.

I simply wanted to know opinions on the Honda and given the issues the pt was having would you cinsidering trading. I wasn't necessarily looking for the financial advice end of it.....

Actually you specifically asked what would you do and mentioned the finances in a sentence before. Reread your OP and you'll realize why so many folks posted the way they did.

I get grounded by my neighbors who make great money but choose not to spend money on vehicles. My direct neighbors nice car happens to be a 2009 Accord Ex-L(his car). They make $300k+/year as part pharmicist and dr. She drives a PT cruiser btw since it was cheap used.......

I simply wanted to know opinions on the Honda and given the issues the pt was having would you cinsidering trading.

Then that's what you should have asked and skipped all the financial details that you provided in your original post.

I'm not going to get into all the issues...I'm just going to say that sometimes auto transmissions shift or operate 'harsh'; and it doesn't meant they are dying. Sometimes they go for years like that. Hopefully this is the issue with yours.

It's possible they can shift weird for a long time, although I wouldn't feel comfortable about it. It's the reason I sold my Camry. I wanted to take it to 300,000 miles but I didn't feel comfortable. You just have to go with your gut instinct, maybe do some drain and refills for it and a bottle of Lucas.

My friend has a high mile 98' Cavalier and for almost 3 years it shifts into 2nd gear so hard it literally feels like it's been rear ended EVERY time it shifts. I mean REALLY hard but it just keeps on going.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's possible they can shift weird for a long time, although I wouldn't feel comfortable about it. It's the reason I sold my Camry. I wanted to take it to 300,000 miles but I didn't feel comfortable. You just have to go with your gut instinct, maybe do some drain and refills for it and a bottle of Lucas.

My friend has a high mile 98' Cavalier and for almost 3 years it shifts into 2nd gear so hard it literally feels like it's been rear ended EVERY time it shifts. I mean REALLY hard but it just keeps on going.

your friend should use maxlift ATF and lubegard red. it solved my sunfire trans shift problem.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm not going to get into all the issues...I'm just going to say that sometimes auto transmissions shift or operate 'harsh'; and it doesn't meant they are dying. Sometimes they go for years like that. Hopefully this is the issue with yours.

Drive a Jeep Cherokee (XJ style). Those transmissions always shift hard - and they routinely outlast the rest of the vehicle when it gets scrapped at 300000 miles because it broke in half from rust.

When I got mine and had the stock size tires on it, it would bark the rear tires on the 1-2 shift under moderate acceleration. Still will ... when I put on the stock sized tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back