wife wants to trade in her car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am torn she has an 03 pt cruiser only has 57,000 on it.sometimes the transmission shifts hard when cold. Other than that its in decent shape runs good ect. However she hates it. She found at my new place of employment or will be in 2 weeks an 09 Honda Accord with 88000 miles in great shape with the 4cyl for 10,900 she wants to trade it in on that. Our payment will go up but not enough that I'm really concerned with that. Mainly my question is would you do it? I'm torn hands down the accords are a much better car I mean let's face it the pt cruisers weren't known for their quality. And the accord will have a 2 yr 150,000mile warranty and roadside assistance ect. The pt has no warranty at all and it's not a car I want to work on . The Honda is much more mechanic friendly. What would you do? Also the pt cruiser uses oil about 1qt every 1500 miles or so. Not a life threatening danger for it but is a factor and I'm sure its harder on the cat. Anyway your thoughts ? Thanks all.

Last edited:
Well with a lot of effort dedication and prayer. We worked it out. It took a lot of effort on both sides for sure but it's for the better.

Well, good luck to you then!

Regarding the Accord, were these still prone to tranny issues? I know that primarily applied to the V6 but I have to ask. Also, is the PT costing you any money at this point? I know they are ugly little beasts but if it is reliable.....
21.gif
The Accord, as you noted, is going to cost you more. So is that "more" accounted for in the maintenance you currently pay into the PT is what I'm getting at. If the PT isn't costing you anything but gas and other consumables It becomes less of a "deal" so to speak IMHO.

BTW, what kind of gas mileage does she get in the PT?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
We worked it out. It took a lot of effort on both sides for sure but it's for the better.

Well done! It takes a lot of strength and courage to keep a marriage together.

Pt gets a dismal 23mpg. It has been decently reliable so far not asking for much needs a battery and tires soon. But nothing mechanically related. As I said the trans shifts hard when cold sometimes and there is a weird noise in the dash when turning on the hvac only once in awhile. Not a big issue though. Overall it's not nickel and diming yet but who knows when itll start. Could be soon or could be awhile. And she doesn't like it that's the biggest factor probably I have to hear he complain about it lol.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Well, good luck to you then!

Regarding the Accord, were these still prone to tranny issues? I know that primarily applied to the V6 but I have to ask. Also, is the PT costing you any money at this point? I know they are ugly little beasts but if it is reliable.....
21.gif
The Accord, as you noted, is going to cost you more. So is that "more" accounted for in the maintenance you currently pay into the PT is what I'm getting at. If the PT isn't costing you anything but gas and other consumables It becomes less of a "deal" so to speak IMHO.

BTW, what kind of gas mileage does she get in the PT?

No tranny issues on these. OP, I would go for the Accord. If the PT is burning oil at only 57K, and is having hard trans shifts I would lose that thing before you end up spending big $$ on it. The Accord will come with the warranty as you mentioned and if taken care of should hit 200K. If it will be a strain on your budget then by all means keep the PT. Good luck to you and your wife!

Well with a lot of effort dedication and prayer. We worked it out. It took a lot of effort on both sides for sure but it's for the better.

That's wonderful news! Glad to hear everything worked out :^)

Check out CarComplaints.com... They don't like the '09 very much. I didn't look too closely but it appears brake issues, oil consumption and uncomfortable seating are chief among the complaints

...and this coming from a honda guy

Last edited:
And she doesn't like it that's the biggest factor probably I have to hear he complain about it lol.

"If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy..If daddy ain't happy, don't nobody care!"

I suspect there will be a new or new-used car in your family some time real soon.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Check out CarComplaints.com... They don't like the '09 very much. I didn't look too closely but it appears brake issues, oil consumption and uncomfortable seating are chief among the complaints

...and this coming from a honda guy

Consumption issues were few and far between. Hard seats, just take it on a long highway drive. Most people had issues within the first hour of driving if it will be an issue at all. Brake issues are usually resolved with new pads and rotors. I test drove a 2008 (same complaints as 2009) and the seats were fine, although the fabric was cheaper than in my 7th gen. The brakes did make a whirring metallic noise when stropping at low speeds but they still worked fine. Make sure its up to date on all maintenance if you go for it.

I want to preface by saying I'm not trying to be cheeky. A lot of times when these threads about a significant other has a car dilemma, the advice given is it's their car so they should get what they want. Seeing as how you just worked things out, maybe it's not a good time to get in a fight about it.

PT Cruiser is unrepentantly ugly junk. Be patient, put in the work and take the time to search and find a low mile gently used Honda Accord that has been garaged and well maintained. In the meantime save as much money as you can, pay off the PT if possible, so you have minimal or lower payments if possible. Never buy any car or any other consumer item that gets you further into debt.

Last edited:
You already have a payment on a used car. You're looking to get a higher payment on an even more used car.

Glad to see you're back together, if at least for the kids. But iirc, she works at McDonald's and you're changing jobs.

I thnk a $3k beater is in order, after all, you have a new, reliable car. When you can pay cash and the car is no more than half your combined salary, then go for it.

Even if not for the debt, seems there are too many unknowns currently. Ultimately maybe it's a good idea, but if have her qualify and have the loan fully on her own. But right now I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You already have a payment on a used car. You're looking to get a higher payment on an even more used car.

Glad to see you're back together, if at least for the kids. But iirc, she works at McDonald's and you're changing jobs.

I thnk a $3k beater is in order, after all, you have a new, reliable car. When you can pay cash and the car is no more than half your combined salary, then go for it.

Even if not for the debt, seems there are too many unknowns currently. Ultimately maybe it's a good idea, but if have her qualify and have the loan fully on her own. But right now I wouldn't.

Good advice.

If you're still making payments on an 11 year-old vehicle that holds value like a sieve, then you are not financially able to buy a newer car. Pay off the PT and save up for a better used car that you can afford.

NOTHING is worse for a relationship than financial issues. Having a car payment that takes away from other things you might like to do isn't healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back