Wife Wants New Washer,Dryer,Stove and Dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do some homework. Don't go by reputation form 20 years ago. Its a whole new ball game.

Go into a appliance repair place and frankly ask them, which models are the most frequent failures, which ones are the hardest to work on, which ones have the most expensive replacement parts. There are brands they hate to work on and they will tell you if you approach it correctly.

Also do more background on who makes what. You will be surprised that there are very few actual manufacturers, but many names distributed. Also don't be afraid to mix names. There will be some brands that are better at one item than another.

Keep in mind that bells and whistles are nice at first but can greatly add complications when something goes wrong. Remember it is an appliance, a machine to do a task.

We have the old school coil burner stove, basic microwave, low tech and reliable by GE, a Blomberg dishwasher and a Frigidaire washer dryer. None of them match, none of them are high end, but they all are very reliable and low cost.

I replaced that 4 months ago i got rid of a nice 18 year old ice cold one for one that may not last half as long. And as for spending around $4000.00 that would be good this ordeal is going to cost more than that with what she wants.

Visit your local appliance store which also does the servicing. I just had to replace a 15 year old dishwasher. The guy was honest and told me that nothing I buy today is going to last more than seven to ten years. They no longer make anything which will last over ten years regardless of the price.

Last edited:
All Kenmore appliances in our kitchen, fridge,stove and dishwasher. 10 yrs and running great, bought new front load Samsung washer and dryer combo 5 yrs ago and no problems yet, When Mommas Happy everybody is Happy
thumbsup2.gif

We have an LG front load washer that going on 14-15 now, our dryer we got used and I have no any idea what brand it is. The rest we ended up with Kenmore that's all 9 years old now. No issues with any of it. If sears wasn't in trouble, it would be easy to recommend Kenmore, but I would assume there are so many made that any repair guy could find parts for them into the next couple decades, even if sears disappears.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
We have an LG front load washer that going on 14-15 now, our dryer we got used and I have no any idea what brand it is. The rest we ended up with Kenmore that's all 9 years old now. No issues with any of it. If sears wasn't in trouble, it would be easy to recommend Kenmore, but I would assume there are so many made that any repair guy could find parts for them into the next couple decades, even if sears disappears.

Remember, Sears doesn't really make appliances, they're just rebranded appliances from other makers like Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag, LG, Samsung, etc. Usually in the model number there's a code that indicates the actual maker of the appliance. And yes, I use to get all my appliances for my rentals at Sears before, got a few each each. Then they got rid of free delivery and then once you factor in delivery, their prices weren't as competitive anymore. I had switched to home depot for appliances, but they don't carry as much as Lowes and their delivery took a while, usually a week or two, but they had it available when the total was over $300 instead of $400 with Lowes. Now most appliances I buy are over $400 so that doesn't matter as much plus their next day delivery and the availability of their 10% off coupon makes Lowes the cheapest for now.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Remember, Sears doesn't really make appliances, they're just rebranded appliances from other makers like Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag, LG, Samsung, etc. Usually in the model number there's a code that indicates the actual maker of the appliance. And yes, I use to get all my appliances for my rentals at Sears before, got a few each each. Then they got rid of free delivery and then once you factor in delivery, their prices weren't as competitive anymore. I had switched to home depot for appliances, but they don't carry as much as Lowe's and their delivery took a while, usually a week or two, but they had it available when the total was over $300 instead of $400 with Lowes. Now most appliances I buy are over $400 so that doesn't matter as much plus their next day delivery and the availability of their 10% off coupon makes Lowe's the cheapest for now.

I have all Kenmore appliances and would not hesitate to buy them again. In fact I just bought a Kenmore gas stove 2 months ago that was manufactured by Frigidaire. All my other appliances are Kenmore that are made by Whirlpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back