Wife switched us over to tmobile

Wife brought us over to tmobile from vz prepaid, went with this magenta max plan buy one get one iPhone 13. I'm disappointed with the phone I was using the iPhone xr which I absolutely love luckily I didn't trade the device in. I'm mad at the fact they're using the esim so I cant switch back over to the xr, I'll be going back to the store when they open and have my line moved onto a physical sim card. The wife went from a galaxy not sure what model but 5g capable she's not exactly happy with the switch to iOS. I'm going to do some convincing she turns both phones in before it's too late. I'll stick with my xr and she should just get an updated galaxy phone if shes not happy with iOS. I think tmobile is a bit over priced on their post paid plans, I'm so used to prepaid pricing otherwise tmobile has great coverage in my area.

Wife brought us over to tmobile from vz prepaid, went with this magenta max plan buy one get one iPhone 13. I'm disappointed with the phone I was using the iPhone xr which I absolutely love luckily I didn't trade the device in. I'm mad at the fact they're using the esim so I cant switch back over to the xr, I'll be going back to the store when they open and have my line moved onto a physical sim card. The wife went from a galaxy not sure what model but 5g capable she's not exactly happy with the switch to iOS. I'm going to do some convincing she turns both phones in before it's too late. I'll stick with my xr and she should just get an updated galaxy phone if shes not happy with iOS. I think tmobile is a bit over priced on their post paid plans, I'm so used to prepaid pricing otherwise tmobile has great coverage in my area.

Geez...iPhones generally suck and the XR is the absolute bottom of the barrel, what a trash device. T-Mo > VZW.

Not bashing but why do you prefer the XR over the much newer 13?
Size and weight the xr has a better feel. The xr ran just fine good battery great screen and camera. I'm not finding anything the 13 has to offer as an improvement 5g isn't mind blowing LTE is plenty of fast.

Last edited:
i would say give time to adjust to the change. I do get not liking the phones being larger i did not at first either, but you do get used to it and when you get old you'll appreciate it... :confused:

If you don't like it on day one don't force yourself into growing into it.

It's like Clark Griswald trading in the Vista Cruiser for the "Metallic Pea" Wagon Queen.

"You think you hate it now..."

Size and weight the xr has a better feel. The xr ran just fine good battery great screen and camera. I'm not finding anything the 13 has to offer as an improvement 5g isn't mind blowing LTE is plenty of fast.
I understand. Some people just prefer a bigger phone. The screen is the same size but Apple made the 13 slightly smaller and lighter.

I’d personally try putting a nice case on the 13, that might make a difference. I like the UAG Pathfinder cases. They are sturdy, extremely durable, give you great grip, and Amazon has them for $30 with free returns if you don’t like it.

I understand. Some people just prefer a bigger phone. The screen is the same size but Apple made the 13 slightly smaller and lighter.

I’d personally try putting a nice case on the 13, that might make a difference. I like the UAG Pathfinder cases. They are sturdy, extremely durable, give you great grip, and Amazon has them for $30 with free returns if you don’t like it.
I’ll look into this thank you

I can understand, nothing is for everyone, even though some day you will find the need to move into the future and part with that XR! *LOL*
ITs true, the XR is a great phone, I have been a major proponent of the XR for a long time now, longest phone I ever owned in the last 20 years.
Three years I think I had it, will check with my wife.

For many people the iPhone 13 has many advantages for the following activities IF that matters to some.
1. Superior camera, standard cell phone lens plus super wide angle lens, Superior night photos, actually amazing and the XR doesnt come close.
Superior HDR Dolby vision 4k video with a really cool cinematic mode, 2 times optical zoom, sensor shift image stabilization, audio zoom, 12mp selfie camera and more.
4. Brighter and better touch screen display
5. Slightly longer battery life
6. Water resistant to 18 feet vs 3 ft for the XR
7. 5g cell unit (may not matter for some, but kind of cool for fun, I have speed tested depending where I am speeds up to 800 Mbps on 5g. Just came back from Florida last night, condo had 400 Mbps on near the top of a 15 story condo. May not matter to some, didnt to me at the time, except if your away, you can tether to your laptop at some awesome speeds. I didnt but for some some its pretty cool.
8. 16 core processor vs 8 core
9. Wifi 6 vs AC for the XR.

There are also some improvements on how the Apple air tags work with the newer phones, amazingly accurate ( I dont use it but my wife does for our dog) I haven't had the 13 very long, 3 months now and maybe a bit more like you where things are good enough but now that I have it, I wouldnt want to give it up. My wife who is REALLY (and always has been) into the cameras on these phones is having a ball with the camera and video capabilities of the iPhone 13 compared to her iPhone 11 that we traded in. She wouldnt give the 13 up for anything. (within reason)

PS for the record, the iPhone 13 is actually more compact than the iPhone XR, NOT larger. Screen the same size.
The iPhone 13 is also slightly lighter.
(I have more to say in a minute, time to refill my coffee! I AM SURE YOU KNOW ME BY NOW, JUST DISCUSSING! For the benefit of others, no device is right for everyone)

Last edited:
I've been satisfied with T-Mobil. No billing hassles whatsoever, good coverage.

Finally broke the screen on my old i6s. It's been a real workhorse.

Looking at the current iPhone SE. Small phone. has the guts of the newest machines. Competitively priced to the Android phones. i11 is competitively priced and a solid machine but lacks 5g.

Not a big deal unless you keep a phone for years.

Wow, reading your post, this sounds like a train wreck. (again just conversation, I think you know that by now, not everyone does*LOL*)
Honestly, reading your post, why dont you cancel everything and just go back to prepaid?

The way I read this your wife committed to the most expensive cell phone plan TMobile offers for a $800 cell phone she hates.
Even though I use the word committed it is a no contract plan.
You, kept your cell phone and rejected the other $800 they would have given you for another free phone.
Choosing the most expensive plan isnt a knock on TMobile, ATT and Verizon also sell a most expensive plan and TMobile has to most features at the lowest cost, and they all also offer cheaper plans and prepaid plans. But you guys didnt even take the $1600 worth of phone they were offering.
Honestly, you guys arent happy, bailout. I think you made a poor decision.

My wife and I, lucky (depending on how you look at it) if one person in the plan is 55+ years old =
We got the Magenta 55 plan. $70 a month ACTUAL PAYMENT $70, turned in an iPhone 11 and iPhone XR, TMobile sent us two new iPhone 13's. Total cost after two years (other then the phones we gave them is $0.00)
We couldn't go wrong.
Before this, for the last decade or so ALL we used was prepaid service and the Ultimate to us and still is RedPocket.
We were paying $50 a month, total cost and now we pay TMobile $70 a month but WOW we get so many more services and if you do the math, two iPhone 13s came with the deal so the service cost is $480 more for the two years but we got two $800 phones and I was ready to upgrade anyway.
BUT it gets even more interesting!
1. We now have 5g and ok, that right now is more of a fun thing, no big deal
2. We truly have unlimited High speed 5g or LTE service of 100 Gb per line
3. For the first time in over ten years we have roaming again, no big deal but (read to the end)
4. For some this wont matter but we have overseas service for the first time and 1 hour each of airplane data.
Plus a whole host of other free stuff, like TMobile Tuesdays (wife keeps track of that)

Ok, back to the $70 a month! I was paying RedPocket $50 for 10 Gb per line, now have 100Gb per line unlimited with Tmobile (some value in that)
BUT, we also cut our TV cord over a decade ago and have ALWAYS had Netflix and Part of the Magenta 55 Plan Standard Netflix is included but we have HD Netflix plan which is more money. SO ... We now pay $10 less for our Netflix service! This brings the actual cost of our Tmobile plan in REAL dollars to only $60 a month with a boat load of extra stuff, some of which has value to us. TMobile pays the first $10 of our Netflix plan and we pay the difference for the next tier up of HD service.

Ok, so back to roaming, no big deal at ALL for us but we just did have some roaming while streaming music for the entire time of a 9 hour car trip to Florida this last week, that is NINE hours both ways.
We were so impressed, TMobile in my mind was at the bottom of the barrel for cell service back around 2002, boy they have come a long way.
Streaming my Apple Music for nine hours each way, there was only an area somewhere around the Alabama,Georgia, extreme north Florida border that there was a lapse of maybe 15 minutes worth of service and maybe another 20 minutes of roaming, if that. Im just guessing at time frames but no way was it longer than I stated.
So anyway, both of us (my wife also into technology, actually crazy about it) we streamed Apple Music the whole trip, non stop with the exception of maybe a 15 minute gap, on roaming for the other maybe 20 minutes once in a while there was a period where it would stop for a second or two and play when it had a signal again, keep in mind we were in the middle of no mans land at the time, we were so amazed and thought, wow, they have come a l long way.
Honestly I dont even think it was as long as I stated but I didnt time it.

Last edited:
The speeds of 5G might not matter so much, but the newer phones have more “bands” which can mean better overall signal. I switched us from a 12 pro max for me and a 12 for my wife to a 13 pro max and 13 pro and we noticed more consistent call quality and overall service (she maxed out her storage, figured I’d upgrade as well while they were offering a decent trade in price). The 13 supports 6 more LTE bands than the XR, in addition to the 5G bands that the XR doesn’t support at all.

Wow, reading your post, this sounds like a train wreck. (again just conversation, I think you know that by now, not everyone does*LOL*)
Honestly, reading your post, why dont you cancel everything and just go back to prepaid?

The way I read this your wife committed to the most expensive cell phone plan TMobile offers for a $800 cell phone she hates.
Even though I use the word committed it is a no contract plan.
You, kept your cell phone and rejected the other $800 they would have given you for another free phone.
Choosing the most expensive plan isnt a knock on TMobile, ATT and Verizon also sell a most expensive plan and TMobile has to most features at the lowest cost, and they all also offer cheaper plans and prepaid plans. But you guys didnt even take the $1600 worth of phone they were offering.
Honestly, you guys arent happy, bailout. I think you made a poor decision.

My wife and I, lucky (depending on how you look at it) if one person in the plan is 55+ years old =
We got the Magenta 55 plan. $70 a month ACTUAL PAYMENT $70, turned in an iPhone 11 and iPhone XR, TMobile sent us two new iPhone 13's. Total cost after two years (other then the phones we gave them is $0.00)
We couldn't go wrong.
Before this, for the last decade or so ALL we used was prepaid service and the Ultimate to us and still is RedPocket.
We were paying $50 a month, total cost and now we pay TMobile $70 a month but WOW we get so many more services and if you do the math, two iPhone 13s came with the deal so the service cost is $480 more for the two years but we got two $800 phones and I was ready to upgrade anyway.
BUT it gets even more interesting!
1. We now have 5g and ok, that right now is more of a fun thing, no big deal
2. We truly have unlimited High speed 5g or LTE service of 100 Gb per line
3. For the first time in over ten years we have roaming again, no big deal but (read to the end)
4. For some this wont matter but we have overseas service for the first time and 1 hour each of airplane data.
Plus a whole host of other free stuff, like TMobile Tuesdays (wife keeps track of that)

Ok, back to the $70 a month! I was paying RedPocket $50 for 10 Gb per line, now have 100Gb per line unlimited with Tmobile (some value in that)
BUT, we also cut our TV cord over a decade ago and have ALWAYS had Netflix and Part of the Magenta 55 Plan Standard Netflix is included but we have HD Netflix plan which is more money. SO ... We now pay $10 less for our Netflix service! This brings the actual cost of our Tmobile plan in REAL dollars to only $60 a month with a boat load of extra stuff, some of which has value to us. TMobile pays the first $10 of our Netflix plan and we pay the difference for the next tier up of HD service.

Ok, so back to roaming, no big deal at ALL for us but we just did have some roaming while streaming music for the entire time of a 9 hour car trip to Florida this last week, that is NINE hours both ways.
We were so impressed, TMobile in my mind was at the bottom of the barrel for cell service back around 2002, boy they have come a long way.
Streaming my Apple Music for nine hours each way, there was only an area somewhere around the Alabama,Georgia, extreme north Florida border that there was a lapse of maybe 15 minutes worth of service and maybe another 20 minutes of roaming, if that. Im just guessing at time frames but no way was it longer than I stated.
So anyway, both of us (my wife also into technology, actually crazy about it) we streamed Apple Music the whole trip, non stop with the exception of maybe a 15 minute gap, on roaming for the other maybe 20 minutes once in a while there was a period where it would stop for a second or two and play when it had a signal again, keep in mind we were in the middle of no mans land at the time, we were so amazed and thought, wow, they have come a l long way.
Honestly I dont even think it was as long as I stated but I didnt time it.
Wife is now enjoying her 13 she got everything figured out on her end. For me I asked T-Mobile for a physical sim and currently using my XR. We’re on the magenta max+ Plan we didn’t have to trade in any phones the bill turns out to be $112 month taxes and fees included bygo she paid taxes upfront for one device. Each month there’s a bill credit for the 2nd device. We also get the T-Mobile Tuesdays and Netflix perk. I’ll see playing around switching back to the 13 this weekend I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The OLED screen makes whites appear yellow as the XR LCD panel looks bluish.

I can understand, nothing is for everyone, even though some day you will find the need to move into the future and part with that XR! *LOL*
ITs true, the XR is a great phone, I have been a major proponent of the XR for a long time now, longest phone I ever owned in the last 20 years.
Three years I think I had it, will check with my wife.

For many people the iPhone 13 has many advantages for the following activities IF that matters to some.
1. Superior camera, standard cell phone lens plus super wide angle lens, Superior night photos, actually amazing and the XR doesnt come close.
Superior HDR Dolby vision 4k video with a really cool cinematic mode, 2 times optical zoom, sensor shift image stabilization, audio zoom, 12mp selfie camera and more.
4. Brighter and better touch screen display
5. Slightly longer battery life
6. Water resistant to 18 feet vs 3 ft for the XR
7. 5g cell unit (may not matter for some, but kind of cool for fun, I have speed tested depending where I am speeds up to 800 Mbps on 5g. Just came back from Florida last night, condo had 400 Mbps on near the top of a 15 story condo. May not matter to some, didnt to me at the time, except if your away, you can tether to your laptop at some awesome speeds. I didnt but for some some its pretty cool.
8. 16 core processor vs 8 core
9. Wifi 6 vs AC for the XR.

There are also some improvements on how the Apple air tags work with the newer phones, amazingly accurate ( I dont use it but my wife does for our dog) I haven't had the 13 very long, 3 months now and maybe a bit more like you where things are good enough but now that I have it, I wouldnt want to give it up. My wife who is REALLY (and always has been) into the cameras on these phones is having a ball with the camera and video capabilities of the iPhone 13 compared to her iPhone 11 that we traded in. She wouldnt give the 13 up for anything. (within reason)

PS for the record, the iPhone 13 is actually more compact than the iPhone XR, NOT larger. Screen the same size.
The iPhone 13 is also slightly lighter.
(I have more to say in a minute, time to refill my coffee! I AM SURE YOU KNOW ME BY NOW, JUST DISCUSSING! For the benefit of others, no device is right for everyone)
You’re definitely a techie guy lol. I understand the pros the 13 has to offer and yes it’s amazing how they got the same 6.1” screen size into smaller real estate.

Last edited:
The OLED screen makes whites appear yellow as the XR LCD panel looks bluish.
Make sure “reduce white point” is turned off (its under Settings>Accessibility>Display and Text Size>bottom of screen) as well as True Tone (Settings>Display and Brightness). Night Shift will also make the screen “warmer” in color.

Wife is now enjoying her 13 she got everything figured out on her end. For me I asked T-Mobile for a physical sim and currently using my XR. We’re on the magenta max+ Plan we didn’t have to trade in any phones the bill turns out to be $112 month taxes and fees included bygo she paid taxes upfront for one device. Each month there’s a bill credit for the 2nd device. We also get the T-Mobile Tuesdays and Netflix perk. I’ll see playing around switching back to the 13 this weekend I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The OLED screen makes whites appear yellow as the XR LCD panel looks bluish.
Yeah, Apple devices can take some getting used to and they have their own funky things. I was trying to understand your post, hope my reply didnt sound harsh after I read it I was like, hmmm ... can easily be read the wrong way.

The 13 to my wife and I display is superior.
I am a person who likes a warm color display, my wife likes the cold blue look.
This is EASY to change in the 13. The 13 has a "True Tone" setting that is turned on by default. I like that setting but if you want more blue simply turn it off. I just noticed skippy posted other things that can be done which I Wasnt aware since I like the default but I think if you do the "True Tone" first it maybe what you are looking for without going further, I have no idea but the change in color is dramatic to blue with it off.
Settings>Display & Brightness>True Tone

Last edited:
Yeah, Apple devices can take some getting used to and they have their own funky things. I was trying to understand your post, hope my reply didnt sound harsh after I read it I was like, hmmm ... can easily be read the wrong way.

The 13 to my wife and I display is superior.
I am a person who likes a warm color display, my wife likes the cold blue look.
This is EASY to change in the 13. The 13 has a "True Tone" setting that is turned on by default. I like that setting but if you want more blue simply turn it off. I just noticed skippy posted other things that can be done which I Wasnt aware since I like the default but I think if you do the "True Tone" first it maybe what you are looking for without going further, I have no idea but the change in color is dramatic to blue with it off.
Settings>Display & Brightness>True Tone
No harm took, As mentioned before, always have good convo on here.

. I was trying to understand your post, hope my reply didnt sound harsh after I read it I was like, hmmm ... can easily be read the wrong way.
Being Italian I talk better waving my hands around. When I type and text I cant get my thoughts on screen the way I plan lol. They say to shut an Italian up tie their hands behind their back. Italian with one hand is a speech impediment and no hands is a mute.

Back