Wife shares transmission horror story

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife and I go out to lunch today after Church with friends. During lunch, the friends are telling us their transmission woes with their Honda van - tranny died after 230,000 miles. When they were through with their story, my wife says:

"Oh yeah, the transmission on my car acts up every now and then."

"What?" say I.

"Oh, it's nothing to worry about. When I back out of the driveway on a cold morning and then put it in drive, it acts like it doesn't want to go into drive. Sometimes I put it in park and then back in drive and it makes a 'clunk, clunk' noise and then off we go. Nothing to worry about" she says again.

I'm worried.

Wife's ride is a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. 2.7 V-6 with an automatic transmission. Car has 60,000 miles on it and we've owned it for about two years now.

I have done very little work on this car since we've owned it, other than change the oil. We did have the water pump replaced back in November of last year along with the timing chain and a general tune up and I had the shop replace the belts and hoses as well.

A couple of questions:
1. What kind of transmission is in these cars of this era. In truth, I haven't even googled it yet as we just got home from lunch with friends.

2. It's a 2004. If I were to do a tranny fluid and filter change, would I use the ATF-3 or the ATF-4 fluid?

3. As soon as the weather clears, (it's very stormy here today), I want to do the fluid and filter change and flush, would a bottle of "Lubegard" be in order here. If so, which "color"?

4. Finally, does anyone have any earthly idea what is happening that would make it not want to shift into drive and then the "clunk, clunk" noise? I hardly ever drive this car and she says it only happens when the weather is cold, (think Central Florida cold, like in the 40's). I've never seen it happen or heard it happen but can only relate to you what she has related to me.

She's been a good wife to me but is very bad about not telling me automobile related problems until something major happens, (like stranded on the side of the road). Since I don't want her stranded, I would like to get on top of this ASAP. Any and all comments, guidance and information would be most welcomed.

Thanks - Glenn.

Has the the 41TE

Of course you have had the trans serviced? Use ATF+4 and a mopar filter.

Why dont you go out and drive it and see if acts the way your wife describes?

If it does bring it to a dealer and have them check the codes.
Could be an issue with a speed sensor etc

Its a 41TE,same as the minivans.Only use ATF+4.The clicking could be bad solenoid pack.Or a bad trans ground.

Have you checked that the fluid is full? Sometimes insufficient fluid will cause a "it doesn't go" sort of problem. If you have leaky cooler hoses that can cause low fluid level.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Have you checked that the fluid is full? Sometimes insufficient fluid will cause a "it doesn't go" sort of problem. If you have leaky cooler hoses that can cause low fluid level.

Thought about that one, but it is pouring rain here right now and we are under tornado watches for the afternoon. As soon as the weather breaks, will be the first thing I do, (that and drive it around for a while - the good side of this is that I get to drive her ride).

Does this trans have adjustable bands? Some of the older chrysler FWDs did. I'd get that check out.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Does this trans have adjustable bands? Some of the older chrysler FWDs did. I'd get that check out.

No bands or sprags in the 41TE.

The fact that it didn't immediately lock itself into 2nd gear limp home mode leads me to believe that it may be something simple like a PRNODL switch but the clunk concerns me.

It makes a clicking/rattly noise between gears. That's normal solenoid pack noise. Clunk is not normal.

Further discussion with my wife reveals that it doesn't actually make a clunking sound. She was trying to emphasize the "feeling" she gets, not the actual sound. She says it's more like the gears are not engaging, more like holding in the clutch on a manual tranny. So in other words, it makes no noise, but works in reverse, and then when placed in drive, doesn't work until gear selector is placed in park and then back in drive, and then car moves forward in a "clunky" kind of way. If that makes sense to you guys, you're miles ahead of me.

Oh, and I did google the 41TE and landed on a site that gave a very good description of this transmission. Was surprised to see it was the first tranny designed to run on "fuzzy logic." No wonder my wife loves this car so much.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: eljefino

No bands or sprags in the 41TE.

The fact that it didn't immediately lock itself into 2nd gear limp home mode leads me to believe that it may be something simple like a PRNODL switch but the clunk concerns me.

It makes a clicking/rattly noise between gears. That's normal solenoid pack noise. Clunk is not normal.

"PRNODL switch" - this would make sense after translating the "clunking noise" into "clunky feeling" lingo.

Is this something a shade tree wrench twister with limited wind can do himself, or is this a "take it to the shop and let someone else do it" kind of thing?

If it turns out to be a per-noodle switch, the repair would be well within the realm of what's doable under your tree. Cross your fingers and hope it's that as it's a lot easier to fix than the bloodthirsty cooler hoses.

Last edited:
fuzzy logic, lol. They waaay overdesigned that transmission control system when they went electronic at chrysler. Put a computer on that is more capable of sending a shuttle to outer space. That is one of the reasons they needed a fluid with such specific physical properties, their ATF+4. Now the other manufacturers have caught up and make just as complicated control systems for theirs too.

Get a complete fluid flush with ATF+4. Problems will probably go away in a week or so after that.

You still have not gone out and driven it to confirm what the problem is, if any.

Go drive and report back.

Also I hope she isnt one of those who are rolling backward and then
slam the trans into drive while still rolling?

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
"Oh yeah, the transmission on my car acts up every now and then."

Glenn: Does she have a twin sister missing since birth?
12.gif
If so....I know where she is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Chrysler and transmission. Two combinations that do not go well together.

You beat me to it. First step in diagnosing a transmission problem: Check for a Chrysler logo somewhere on the car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back