Wife returned $500 to the bank today

I always see them counting money multiple times.

since the tellers were waiting, they realized their mistake and would have withdrawn the disbursed amount from your account. The optic of honesty is a good one, but they would get theirs back regardless of if she returned it…
They know my wife's face but I'm not sure that they know her name. Since there was no deposit or withdrawal forms today, they might have had to do some investigating to get her name or wait for her to show up again.

your wife is a good samaritan

I used be a teller, and it is easy to shorten someone or give more that is asked

these days everything is recorded via video camera, so the teller can pinpoint who did he/she give it to

however, if no-one is back as a good samaritan then it will be counted against the teller

in my credit union they allowed you to be up or down up to $500 in a year, then the cycle goes again

I returned an extra $2000+ heat pump to home depot.

Backstory, I ordered one online and it arrived at the store for me to pick up a week later. They had two pallets full of boxes wrapped in that saran wrap stuff, with two Estes freight shipping documents. They had my name but the HD store's address on them. Clerk insisted I take both, because "there are inside and outside pieces." Forklift dumped them in my truck bed and I drove off into the night.

I get home, cut the saran wrap off, unload now-manageable pieces into my garage. Sure looks like I have two of everything, maybe even three.

So I hold onto everything in case it comes up during the installation. Do the installation, get it running following directions, yadda yadda.

The leftover pieces appear to be a two-room setup with one outside condenser. Oddly, the part number is not carried by Home Depot! Special order? You got me.

I sat on the stuff for another week, it was like three weeks by this point. I was wondering if they'd notice somewhere down the chain and telephone me. Never happened. So I called HD online customer service. They have no idea what to do but say bring it to the store.

So I pile it all back in my truck and bring it to the manager's attention. "oh, yeah, someone else ordered one but we couldn't find it. Thank you." Without any receipt or paperwork, the store was now plus-one unit.
I think what you did here is perfectly normal. You made sure everything was OK from your perspective, then took care of business to make sure HD was made whole again from their potential loss.
You did the right thing.

My wife went to the bank that she usually goes to. Yes, my wife is one of the few that visits a bank on a regular basis. She wanted to break seven $100 bills for $20 dollar bills. She got her $20 bills and left. A short while later back at work she counted the money and realized that the teller gave her $1200 in twenties. Back to the bank she went where they were waiting for her. The teller must have realized her mistake and alerted other staff. Anyone else return an overpayment to the bank?
The bank would have figured out where the money went anyway.

A company that we buy product from forgot to withdraw about $400.00 from our account. When I alerted them to this fact, they withdrew the funds but never even acknowledged my honesty with even a simple "thank you". I know I did the right thing and I would do it again but I was still aggravated at the lack of common courtesy.

My wife went to the bank that she usually goes to. Yes, my wife is one of the few that visits a bank on a regular basis. She wanted to break seven $100 bills for $20 dollar bills. She got her $20 bills and left. A short while later back at work she counted the money and realized that the teller gave her $1200 in twenties. Back to the bank she went where they were waiting for her. The teller must have realized her mistake and alerted other staff. Anyone else return an overpayment to the bank?
If you don't, it's just taken from you account at the end of day when the look at the til. I was underpaid once and they called from the head branch and notified me. It was only $50.00 and they wanted to know which account to put it in. I told them it was a casual no harm error that probably happens and to just put it back in the savings part. I did pull their leg a bit and told them I wanted it broken down first into smaller bills before it goes back in so the mistake doesn't happen again. Long silence of confusion on the other end of the phone 😂

And never, never accidently get your big stack of cash mixed up with the newspaper that belongs to the mean old man in the wheelchair!

At times it SUX to do the right thing. BUT it will come back in spades. That's a sign of a good "ol lady" :ROFLMAO:

Wait, your bank still has people in it?
That's a requirement for me . I opened a small savings account in a local credit union . A few months went by and I went to try the drive thru . When I pulled up there was a video screen with a smiling Teller . Nope . That's not how I work . Buh Bye ..

Back when the pay-at-the-pump option was new, I pulled up to a pump that didn't have that option, fueled up my pickup and drove away.
I had a LOT to accomplish that day and I was hurrying.... Anyway, about the time I got about a block away from the station, I realized that I didn't pay for my gas. I immediately returned and told the clerk and paid for my gas and she phoned the police station to tell them "never mind, the customer had returned to pay for the gas."

It depends on the bank, some mistakes are hit and miss if a teller can think back over transactions and figure it out. Sometimes they will call customers. It REALLY is stressful to the teller.

It depends for the largest banks what took place if video is reviewed, but for $500 the chances of that would be slim to none. If the teller cant figure it out OR the customer doesnt come forward, its gone.
Tellers are allowed to be off a certain amount, certain formulas that can add up to a large amount of money for a commercial bank but the teller certainly gets dinged in a running total.

Anyway, your wife did the right thing, its not the bank that suffers, I need to stress that, the bank "budgets" losses. But the teller does suffer and if your human and compassionate keep that in mind. The teller has a family, pulled their hair our trying to find it, stressed beyond belief, lost sleep over the error that may or may not ever be found and will have a ding that is tracked if by some chance of not being lucky at any given time and it happens a certain amount of time after that or large amount of currency could lose their job.

One other thing to note, if that teller was over $500 the consequences are the same. Its just as bad to be over as it is short. The bank doesnt care, they want accuracy. You lose your job either way.

Last edited:
I made a drive thru check deposit that never showed up in my account. I called fraud at the bank and it took them ten days to find my deposit. Pnc bank was not impressive.

I made a drive thru check deposit that never showed up in my account. I called fraud at the bank and it took them ten days to find my deposit. Pnc bank was not impressive.
At least they found it. Some (or most) commercial banks use third parties to service ATMs so if there is an error it takes time as a third party is involved. Big banks do not service the ATMs.

Your Wife’s what my Mother would call “A good Soul”…….that deed will pay her back in Dividends.
Ethics and Morals are sorely lacking in society today. Good to see they still exist!

Back in the 80's an ATM gave me and extra 20 on a cash withdrawal - sort of. It was sticking halfway out the rotating metal tray an 1/2 way inyo the machine. I said to myself, some chume didnt take all his money at the last transaction. Finders keepers! This was after hours in the early evening at a vestibule kiosk. Well one month later low and behold the bank sent me a nasty letter deducting the 20 bucks from my account. Looks like they find a way to aacount for every penny. Probably spent more than 20 bucks in employee time figuring this out.

Like in the op's story I would absolutely return over-dispersed funds to the teller when noticed. That is not finders keepers!

Back when the pay-at-the-pump option was new, I pulled up to a pump that didn't have that option, fueled up my pickup and drove away.
I had a LOT to accomplish that day and I was hurrying.... Anyway, about the time I got about a block away from the station, I realized that I didn't pay for my gas. I immediately returned and told the clerk and paid for my gas and she phoned the police station to tell them "never mind, the customer had returned to pay for the gas."
I did that also once..... Pay at the pump was still kind of new at the time and I was thinking about using it, then decided not to but when I was done pumping I just jumped in the car and drove away. I only got as far as the traffic light on the corner when I realized I hadn't paid so I did a quick U-turn and went back. They were only just realizing they'd been "had" when I walked in with the money! They were happy and gave me several free car wash coupons for my honesty.

1667326130313.jpg

Back