Wife put gas in my diesel truck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Well DEF in the diesel fuel tank happens also. I think that's worse than gas. I don't think you could get diesel fuel in the DEF tank as it's a small diameter fill.

You can, we have had trucks towed in from people doing it. A local municipality put DEF in the diesel and diesel in the DEF, the truck had a service body on it and somehow they made the mistake. We have had a customer who has put 5 gallons of DEF in the diesel tank twice and proceeded to drive the truck. Both were very expensive repairs not covered under warranty.

I'm still wondering what the 2 quarts of 2-stroke oil is for.
confused2.gif

I once half-filled the scirocco tank with diesel - very early morning drive to work and 2 minutes after I left the fuel station the car died. Being so early in the morning I didn't realise what I'd done until an hour later, by which time I already checked spark, timing etc.
No harm done apart from the smoke show when it fired up.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm still wondering what the 2 quarts of 2-stroke oil is for.
confused2.gif

Extra added lubrication. As I recall from reading, it's one of, if not the best supplemental lube additives for a diesel.

A couple months ago, i was fueling up my car at a station which sells both diesel and gasoline, when a couple young girls pulled up on the adjacent pump. The 2 kids jumped out, one grabs the diesel hose and then the other girl say's something which i can't hear, they put the hose back and as they are both getting back in the car one say's to the other "yeah lets go to the other station, they only have one color of pump and it's not so confusing...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Run
This seems to happen quite often. Its always the wife that ends up filling up with the wrong fuel.

My dad did it to mums Landrover once. So it's not always the women.

A writer at Car & Driver did it to a Subaru Legacy a while back...and Hot Rod staffer did it to his own Camaro.

I wouldn't have started it, but that's just me. I'm sure a tow truck could have moved it off to the side.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
A writer at Car & Driver did it to a Subaru Legacy a while back...and Hot Rod staffer did it to his own Camaro.

Really? Who was that?

edit: Sorry, who was the Hot Rod staffer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I wouldn't have started it, but that's just me. I'm sure a tow truck could have moved it off to the side.

Well I figured 15 seconds or so to move it. In that time, it would have had to, drain the rail, and drain the fuel filter housing. Not to mention the engine was basically at idle.

To be honest, I wasn't in the slightest worried about gasoline damaging anything. CP3 are pretty stout. The thing that concerned me the most was the engine taking off on her from the gas. And the chances of that I calculated to be pretty low.

But like I said before, there was gasoline in the fuel filter housing. So it wasn't far off from reaching the cylinders.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: Run
This seems to happen quite often. Its always the wife that ends up filling up with the wrong fuel.

My dad did it to mums Landrover once. So it's not always the women.

my neighbor, good friend and mechanic did it not once but twice! yes sir he's male, LOL.

it happens to all of us we have to learn and i've said this before: the school of hard knocks teaches us a valuable lesson
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Well DEF in the diesel fuel tank happens also. I think that's worse than gas. I don't think you could get diesel fuel in the DEF tank as it's a small diameter fill.

You can, we have had trucks towed in from people doing it. A local municipality put DEF in the diesel and diesel in the DEF, the truck had a service body on it and somehow they made the mistake. We have had a customer who has put 5 gallons of DEF in the diesel tank twice and proceeded to drive the truck. Both were very expensive repairs not covered under warranty.

If you get DEF in the fuel tank, doesn't almost always mean replacing the injection pump, fuel filter/fuel conditioning module, all the lines and injectors - seeing how urea will corrode all the passageways?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Really? Who was that?

edit: Sorry, who was the Hot Rod staffer?

Doug Glad.

some guys I work with have Moto Guzzi bikes. They told a story of a ride out in the country. 4 Guzzi's. They pull in to a country gas station and attendant comes out and starts talking. Asking questions about the bikes he has never heard of. One guy was being pretty uppity to the attendant, saying not alot of people have heard of Moto Guzzi's. He just sort of grins about it and then says "yep, never seen a diesel bike". Guy wasn't so uppity after that.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

If you get DEF in the fuel tank, doesn't almost always mean replacing the injection pump, fuel filter/fuel conditioning module, all the lines and injectors - seeing how urea will corrode all the passageways?

Yes. Ford has special kits for the 6.7L for when people do it. Includes all the necessary parts. Pricing is in the $4000 range from what I remember. Ford does not provide any assistance monetarily when people do this.

You handled every aspect of this incident well. Take the wife out for supper for having the sense to call you right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back