Wife nailed a pothole, tire shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 accord FWD
Wife hit a really deep pothole near her job, like 8 inches deep by 3 ft wide.
She didn't tell me until I noticed a golf ball size buldge on the tire sidewall.
I apologize for not having a pic of it.

Current tires are continental purecontacts with 50K miles on them, of the DWS, the S is worn off. I like these tires. I was planning to replace them before winter.

TPMS are original 2008 sensors, I think I should replace them. $33 each for OEM sensors and grommets/nuts.
Is discount going to murder me to install new sensors?

So do I buy new 4 tires today or get a used one until fall?

Looking at either my current purecontacts for $115 or the RT43 for $105 minus rebate.

I previously had discount tire price match tiresdirect.net
Plus rebates.

If I got the rt43 I would miss the nice rim protector on the pure contacts, but would be like $75 cheaper.

Last edited:
I would just do all four of them now with an alignment. It would be just spending extra money in my mind to spend more later.

Last edited:
How much tread is remaining on the other 3? Might be worth getting a used one and running it until you replace all 4. My sister did that on her 2005 civic when she had a flat on the rear, and the used tire she got from the shop was almost brand new.

Potholes suck, and luckily it didn't damage your wheel. My GF hit a pothole in her BMW and cracked one of the wheels. We had to get a used wheel off ebay. The tire shop guy said he sees cracked wheels usually once a week because of all the low profile tires these days.
shocked.gif

I would get all four new tires now for three reasons:
1) tire shops are much less busy this time of year;
2) the amount of additional wear on new tires from June to October is going to be next to nothing;
3) doing all four now saves a trip and some time.

If the pothole was that deep and did that much damage to the tire, chances are excellent that the damage extends to the suspension and wheel. I would therefore also have the alignment checked. Otherwise you risk ruining your brand-new tires.

File a claim with the city/ authority that runs the road. They might have insurance for such things.

Today, May 30, is the last day for DTD's decent promotion.

You can buy tires now and mount 2-3 of them later. Are you concerned about ABS and roundness etc?

Wife did something very similar years back. We replaced all tires, but have didn't think to check if the lower ball joint was damaged until the un-even wear start to show on the replacement tire. So I'd suggest having someone you trust check the lower ball joint for damage.

Get 4 RT43s from Discount Tire Direct. Triple rebates - use/apply for DTD's credit card, 60 off for using CC, 75 off tires + 50 off from manufacturer. Have to order today.

With the rebate, complete with new wheels would only cost about another ~$150, especially if you go 16". Some decent options that start < $100. $100 rebate on wheels plus another $60 for using their credit card + save $80-$85 (at least by me ) in no mounting and balancing locally. I like the Konig options I see in 16" at $95 ea. before the rebates. Just be sure not to go for their add-ons other than tire sensors. Also, 'installation kit' is usually just overpriced set of lugs. Twice I passed on that and found the lugs much cheaper myself.

Last edited:
I don't think their TPMS rebuild is anything other than a new rubber grommet, the batteries only last like 10 years so I'm due. If I buy new OEM sensors online and bring them in you think they would put them on?
It is our car but I rarely drive it.

I'd get a used tire and then get a new set with Discount Tire's Black Friday sale. Not because of cost, but so you have maximum tread for the upcoming winter.

Like someone else said, it could be a bad ball joint. Last week, I had an appointment to get mine fixed. It had been popping and rattling. A couple days before the appointment, I hit a curb and the tire blew. Luckily, I had a road hazard warranty on it.

They should be able to put any OEM sensors on for you. They will have to sync them to your car, not sure the fee for that. Make sure before you drive off that no tpms lights are on. If they are chances are the sensors weren't programmed correctly.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Obligatory woman driver comment.

I did not find potholes to be sex discriminatory.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back