Wife Got New Car Now I Want One Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep one new car that i don`t have to crawl under. Been getting 10 years and 170,000 out of them. Self gets well used projects that get modifications to experiment with. Makes sense to have one reliable vehicle for trips etc.

Generally, a new car quality is down while the payments are up; car insurance is on a rise too; so, a brand new car idea, not my cup of tea!

Wife got our first ever new car purchase last year. When my DD dies, I'm probably replacing it at the $10k price range. While a certain someone thinks there will be another new purchase at that time, this family is one and done on new.

I feel the same about my truck, but with 54,600 miles I have decided to keep it. Just did the rear brakes today. They had been on it for 17 years, still had 30 percent of the pad, but it was time.
It would be nice but just not worth it for the miles I put on it.
I understand the feeling, but it will pass.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Im done buying new cars I think. Yeah they smell nice but just ain't worth it.

They smell like chemicals to me. But it's better than burger smell.

Sell your current car and buy something less practical, although you will be losing a lot of value with a 66k 10 year old car. That would be a dream find for a used buyer, 66k with one owner and (hopefully) not sitting for really long periods of time.

It would be a good car to trade to someone who wants to swap their hot rod for something more practical. Low mileage Subaru is pretty much the archetype for a practical family car but with a manual trans so it's still respectably cool.

If you want to get rid of it do so before it becomes a 15 year old 100k car.

Buying a new car to put 6k miles a year on?

Pass. If I drove that little I'd have an old beater, like my 2000 Camry as a run around car.

I like the way so many here are financial advisors- we love cars and motorcycles, and not everyone here is to save $ on maintenance, many of us waste it on our passions (like 5k oil changes with 16/qt oil). The same folks that give me crap about my toys are overweight, smoke, drink, drugs, have kids, alimony, child support, kids in college, and make less than half of what I do. BTW, all my toys are paid for. No one knows what the OPs income is, whether or not he works at all, maybe he's already wealthy. The bigger question for the OP is:

How are you liking the Stelvio?

You can't take it with you. Get yourself something nice if you want.

Two new vehicles purchased with no money down - then new insurance for two new vehicles.........
....... what are we talking here for at least the next 60 months?.... at least $1400 total payment per month for both?

If you and her make good money, go for it. What's $17K per year, to get from Point-A to Point B.
If both only drive 7K per year, then lease to save money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by montero1
I like the way so many here are financial advisors- we love cars and motorcycles, and not everyone here is to save $ on maintenance, many of us waste it on our passions (like 5k oil changes with 16/qt oil). The same folks that give me crap about my toys are overweight, smoke, drink, drugs, have kids, alimony, child support, kids in college, and make less than half of what I do. BTW, all my toys are paid for. No one knows what the OPs income is, whether or not he works at all, maybe he's already wealthy. The bigger question for the OP is:

How are you liking the Stelvio?

You can't take it with you. Get yourself something nice if you want.

My sentiments as well; cars are my hobby and my wife is fine with it. As long as it doesn't wreck your financial status have at it. My one car payment is 1/15 of my take home pay and the sled will be paid off within 12 months.

Lemme know what it takes to get over the itch. I've been itching to move on for the last month as I've spent every weekend doing something on my twenty year old car, and seem to be no further ahead than when I started (the exhaust? oil? whatever? smell when I stop is still there whenever I stop at a light, but now I have something clunking at random times--and now I'm wondering when I should check the valve clearance--ugh).

Do lots of research and figure out what your price/risk/pain point is before you put your money down. That will at least give you time to be an informed buyer. Unfortunately when we get the idea in our head we're gonna get a new car, and then go drive one, we're usually buying that.

Originally Posted by Supersonic
Do lots of research and figure out what your price/risk/pain point is before you put your money down. That will at least give you time to be an informed buyer. Unfortunately when we get the idea in our head we're gonna get a new car, and then go drive one, we're usually buying that.

I spent over a year deciding what car would replace it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Two new vehicles purchased with no money down - then new insurance for two new vehicles.........
....... what are we talking here for at least the next 60 months?.... at least $1400 total payment per month for both?

If you and her make good money, go for it. What's $17K per year, to get from Point-A to Point B.
If both only drive 7K per year, then lease to save money.

We financed $15K on the Terrain for 60 months. $ 284/mo

We own our house outright, no mortgage. Last week my house I sold closed and went to buyer. Banked a decent check off the equity in that.

But on the other side of the issue under discussion, I don't relish pizzing money away, and having watched that video posted on pg 3 or 4 of this thread, I endorse the logic he uses. I axed y'all to talk me down, and you have
cool.gif

Keeping the foz.

P.S. to asker of how the Stelvio is running: Great ever since I clocked the injectors !!!
lol.gif

From a practical standpoint, if the '09 Forester is having issues, causing you to spend significant repair money, then consider something else instead. Otherwise, keep on driving it.

From a "want a new shiny car" standpoint, do what makes you happy.

I'm contemplating donating my 04' Colorado to a grandson and buying a new 19' Canyon. That'll put me in a similar boat with new insurance policy for two new vehicles, valued at roughly 59K.
I paid cash for the Santa Fe and considering doing a cash deal on the new Canyon. Probably have 45 days to decide, or move the incoming money elsewhere. Both vehicles would be the last two we ever own. We generally keep them birth to death and 17-18 years from now we will both be 85 years old. Being a clairvoyant psychic medium, I was shown in the 1960s that I would live to be 83 years old.

So that Canyon will definitely be my last pickup truck. Don't know how long the wifey will live. But all her immediate blood relatives of the parents (5), lived to an average of 95 years old. But the wifey doesn't take care of her body like they-all once did...... not even remotely close. We may both depart minutes apart.....lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back