Wife drove a Saturn Astra XR Coupe today, awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's super solid and drives nice. $4000 rebate, $4500 klunker money....a $20k car for $11k. Very cool looking and unique.All we can get in a manual is red (I have a red Accord coupe already) or sandy silver (meh). Either way, it's 35% German parts, Assy in Belgium....basicly a European car.I like it better than the stripper Rabitt she wanted at $5k more. Considering that Euro, manual and no sunroof are her requirements, I think we have a hit.

Anyone want our used CRV, $3000 or less if you don't want the mounted Blizzaks.

It's far from a done-deal, but everything I can think of makes me want to get it. The reviews on Edmunds are gushing and all make great points. Right now the hanging point for the wife is the colour and the fact I think I can get an extra $1000 off the price.

well motor is an 1.8 liter eco-tec 1.8 variant with variable valve timing.

Last edited:
When we sell the CRV, looking at $7k out of pocket for an XR w/everything inc stability control.

Thanks for the saturnfans link.

We are pretty psyched.

btw- the autoptrans is made in Japan and is a $1300 option.

I wish the Astra had received the turbo four from the Cobalt SS. I would have given it a very hard look- especially as it's not screwed together by the UAW(pun intended).

Eh. The Astra has a timing belt. Doesn't it also require valve adjustments? I remember posting a link about its ridiculous maintenance schedule on this forum a while ago, but I can't find it.

Here's betting you can't get another $1000 off. Any dealer worth his salt is already losing money to move them out.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's far from a done-deal, but everything I can think of makes me want to get it. The reviews on Edmunds are gushing and all make great points. Right now the hanging point for the wife is the colour and the fact I think I can get an extra $1000 off the price.

hit those Saturn dealers hard for that extra $1000. They were peddling those Saturns at MSRP from the beginning. how humble they are now
56.gif

I suspect demand is up on low-end cars, but many are leary of Saturn now w/o GM backing. Better than a Dodge, but not as good as a Pontiac, lol. I'm shure Penske will do a lot with the brand image and his investmentin the dealerships should mean decent service for us interum customers.

I almost bought one in June. With my GM points discount it would have been around 10,000 for a fully loaded XR coupe. We ended up needing to replace our minivan so we went with the outlook (got about $9,000 below sticer price)

There are some unusual service intervals with the astra
spark plugs every 25,000 miles (not to exceed 35,000 miles)
solid lifter tappet adjusment 70,000 miles (not to exceed 90,000)
timing belt and tensioner 75,000 miles (not to exceed 100,000 miles)

We loved the astra

Figuring out the cruise control will drive you nights...

Only other issue is that the car is a one year only import. Parts may or may not be an issue.

Hey, I passed a red Astra coupe on the interstate this morning! Wish I had a clunker, or, at least, one that got bad gas mileage...

I drove one when they first came out. I descided I didnt want two leased cars in the driveway, but otherwise, it felt european. Tight handling, and smooth. Thats a good engine too.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's super solid and drives nice. $4000 rebate, $4500 klunker money....a $20k car for $11k. Very cool looking and unique.All we can get in a manual is red (I have a red Accord coupe already) or sandy silver (meh). Either way, it's 35% German parts, Assy in Belgium....basicly a European car.I like it better than the stripper Rabitt she wanted at $5k more. Considering that Euro, manual and no sunroof are her requirements, I think we have a hit.

Anyone want our used CRV, $3000 or less if you don't want the mounted Blizzaks.

Grats on the car, I loved how it shifted when I took one for a test drive. The stick feels/shifts smoothly, far smoother than my tC did. The only thing I really disliked about the car was its acceleration in 1st/2nd. Merging from a stop onto the highway was difficult but once it went it went.

I thinking my dad should get one these, he has 98 EB Ford Expedtion with 173,000 miles with a bad fuel injectors that is thinking of trading in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back