Wierdos that come buy our old cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the whack jobs that (try to) buy my old cars in private party sales are any indication of society:

-- Old cadillac cimarron. Guy buys it for a decent amount of money and parks it in his driveway, never putting it on the road. I ran a carfax on it a couple years later; I was the last registrant.

-- Old truck with rusted out frame, sold on ebay: Guy bids on it from cross country, eventually registers it and begs local relatives to drive it to their farm the next state over; he'll head up sometime and part it out. He jerked me around half the winter and I kept the thing plowed out with extra effort.

-- Old dodge truck, geeky guy never even looks under the hood; drives it around the block sedately. Loved the space inside the cab.

-- Decent dodge spirit, same thing-- buyer never broke the speed limit or floored the gas during the test drive. At least she and her dad looked underneath for rust and stuff under the hood, etc. I still see it around town.

-- Great Saturn-- Guy likes it but didn't bring money
rolleyes.gif
so he's off to find an ATM... telephones 2 hours later saying he's still in town, comes back, argues with his woman, then they leave again.
dunno.gif
I still don't know if he wants the car; he checked it out VERY carefully (he even accellerated brisky and broke the speed limit) and I think he likes it. They drove from ~2 hours away. He did the "rub between fingertips UOA" on some scorching hot oil.
grin.gif
But I can't read the guy. He had a case of Napa HD-30 in the trunk of his rusted out Sentra.
gr_eek2.gif

so you are wondering what? if there are any fruitcakes out there?

is this new to you?

or are these perfectly normal people who have other interests than you?

and then there are those who agonize over the oil in their cars, ......

A coworker was trying to sell his Ford Ranger which was losing about a litre of oil an hour from the rear main seal. A guy at a bar goes outside to look at it and starts carressing the shifter! After a while he says he likes the truck and wants it. My friend the seller was so creeped out he didn't know what to do so instead of selling the truck he jumped in and took off.
grin.gif

Steve

I like to think I maintain my cars well and they'll give years of additional service. If I'm bored with a car before it's competely worn out and junked I honestly hope to hook someone else up with nice reliable transportation for a good price.

But I'm seeing the side of society that drops $500-1500 for a car and will drive it until it breaks. Through their own arrogance and ignorance the people will blame me the former owner, General Motors, the gas station that sells watered down gas... everyone but themselves.

I guess I could fill every car up with $25 worth of M1 EP or Amsoil, if it'll help me sleep nights.
grin.gif
j/k

Is this weird?
Back in the day when I was looking for my first car, I made an appointment to meet a Mexican guy who was selling an 84 Corolla. We met in a parking lot, and the guy seemed pretty earnest. The car was kinda crapped out, not even in average condition, in that cream color they had then. When I opened the hood, I couldn't believe my eyes: this guy had spray painted EVERY INCH in gloss black, from fire wall to radiator, air cleaner to sump. Hoses, belts, wires, EVERYTHING within reach had been newly spray painted. I asked him why he had done that, and he said that people like to see a nice, shiny engine compartment....

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
A coworker was trying to sell his Ford Ranger which was losing about a litre of oil an hour from the rear main seal. A guy at a bar goes outside to look at it and starts carressing the shifter! After a while he says he likes the truck and wants it. My friend the seller was so creeped out he didn't know what to do so instead of selling the truck he jumped in and took off.

That was the day one fool met another.

I had a guy give me $200 for a totaled VW Quantum Syncro wagon for the interior. He was a "pioneer" of the bio-diesel fad. Kinda quarky. He showed up a year later for the roof rack cross bar. His car was a total beater. I dunno, just was weird. One guy practically wanted me to B2B guarantee a $1500 Audi Coupe that was almost 20 y/o. He turned around and put a $700 SS Scorpion exhaust on that ***.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back