Wider is better

So I finally go around to putting some wider tires on my roadie/tournig bike. Been running 700x23 Conti GP4S for probably 7-8 years now. Awesome tire but I always felt that I was a little too heavy for them. Plus, they make it a bit hairy when my path takes me around a gravel shortcut or the like. Didn't want to cheap out on new tires, so I really held off for a long time. Well this winter I scored a set of the Conti Grand Sport Race in 28c. I was a little worried that they would be a downgrade from my GP4S but went ahead and installed them anyways. Man what a game changer! Comfort is through the roof. Already a soft riding frame (for aluminum) this thing is like butter now. Plus the improved road complaince really brings confidence into the corners. While they aren't quite as light or quite as fancy as the old GP4S they are pretty nice and the added width results in a much better setup for a clyde like me.

TL/DR: If you are thinking about running wider tires on your roadie stop thinking and go get them.

My wife has 3 bikes. A road bike, a cyclocross and a hybrid bike. Definite difference in ride with the wider tires on the cyclocross vs her skinnier tire road bike. She rides the cyclocross the most because it's fast and rides good.

RachelJPG.JPG

Skyactive, AND!! She drives a stick! Keeper for sure.

I am running Conti Grand Prix 4000 II's size 28 on my road bike (Domane) and I have Schwalbe G1 40's on my Ti gravel ride. The conti's I find excellent balance between handling, ride quality, and durability. I run them tubeless. I wanted to LOVE the Schwalbe's and kinds do!! They ride great and handle crummy dirt roads very well. Issue is they are relatively soft and don't last long, expensive, and sidewalls are on the weaker side. I run them tubeless as well.

For road bikes hard to beat Conti IMHO. For me, 28 is the smallest I want on a road bike. I like my tires a bit wider. I would say28- 32 is my favorite.

My skinny tire bike has 3 inch wide tires on 40mm rims. Once I got a taste of fat bikes in 2011, I never looked back.

So I finally go around to putting some wider tires on my roadie/tournig bike. Been running 700x23 Conti GP4S for probably 7-8 years now. Awesome tire but I always felt that I was a little too heavy for them. Plus, they make it a bit hairy when my path takes me around a gravel shortcut or the like. Didn't want to cheap out on new tires, so I really held off for a long time. Well this winter I scored a set of the Conti Grand Sport Race in 28c. I was a little worried that they would be a downgrade from my GP4S but went ahead and installed them anyways. Man what a game changer! Comfort is through the roof. Already a soft riding frame (for aluminum) this thing is like butter now. Plus the improved road complaince really brings confidence into the corners. While they aren't quite as light or quite as fancy as the old GP4S they are pretty nice and the added width results in a much better setup for a clyde like me.

TL/DR: If you are thinking about running wider tires on your roadie stop thinking and go get them.

I'm running Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28 from the 700x25 Conti GP4S I had previously

Back