wicked oil leak '93 camry, had to go to a pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 296K mile wondercamry had developed a wicked oil leak on the back of the engine, soaked and destroyed a control arm bushing, and for that it failed state safety inspection.
I wound up replacing both control arms, ball joints and sway bar links (good thing, because although they didn't fail, they were on their way out)
but the oil leak was beyond me. I realized I would need to pull the timing belt, and I was not up to the task of pulling the crank pulley.
sure enough, the oil pump was leaking; actually, more like pumping oil right out of the timing belt cover.
all is well now, just thought I'd share
smile.gif
I'm hoping to keep this car at least until my 13yo son is ready to start learning to drive.
it's like a brand new 20yo car; exhaust, radiator, motor mounts, tires, brakes, rear struts, etc. nothing have ever failed, just worn out.
I've gained a lot of respect for toyota after owning and working on this car.

I had that leak on my 5sfe and it really leaves a trail.

I think one of my brake pads even had a bit of oil on it as a result also so maybe take a look at yours.

The crank pulley is easy to remove with a breaker bar and a bump of the starter, so in another 20 years you can give it a shot yourself.

Those years camrys were among the best ever made. Along with the earlier cressidas, 7MGE excepted.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond

The crank pulley is easy to remove with a breaker bar and a bump of the starter, so in another 20 years you can give it a shot yourself.

I've read about that, but since I have to work on it at my Dad's house 65mi away, I didn't want to get into a situation where I couldn't finish it, or get in over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back