Why you need Rustproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't look very rusty to me. I've seen less metal on a FIAT after a mild Scottish spring.

That's a JK Wrangler Unlimited. No doubt. Looks pretty good to me! Looks like the 3.8 V6 so that means 07-11, so for Ontario, I'd say it's a win.

Last edited:
Mazda
27.gif

It always blows me away when you see brand new trucks with visibly clean frames driving around without having been oil sprayed. Also cars that you know for certain are 5 years old max drive by with bubbled wheel wells. If you oil spray every year your car will never rust.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
It always blows me away when you see brand new trucks with visibly clean frames driving around without having been oil sprayed. Also cars that you know for certain are 5 years old max drive by with bubbled wheel wells. If you oil spray every year your car will never rust.

I am split on rustproofing. On one hand, I have decided that I will probably rust proof my next vehicle either yearly or 1 on 2 years.. Only reason, is because since I work from home, I dont put much mileage on my cars and I like to keep them a very long time.

However, my 2007 is still pretty rust free and its never been rust proofed. Underneath its really good, very minimal and all surface rust only. I am starting to see some rust bubbling on the lower rocker panels that just appeared this past year.. 10 years in heavily salted roads can do that I suppose... however, I also don't want to send my car to scrap with the body in mint condition.. LOL.. Reminds me of my dad scrapping his old car.. after taking his seat cover off, the seat looked brand new! If I drove more, I wouldn't bother as for most folks 10 years is a good life for a vehicle.. I could probably go 5 more years without rust proofing before rust becomes a real issue, so in theory, despite rust starting... 10-15 years of life til it meets the scrapyard due to rust in an area with large temperature swings and heavily salted roads... you cant complain...especially considering that most people dont keep them even 10 years...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: maxdustington

I am split on rustproofing. On one hand, I have decided that I will probably rust proof my next vehicle either yearly or 1 on 2 years.. Only reason, is because since I work from home, I dont put much mileage on my cars and I like to keep them a very long time.

However, my 2007 is still pretty rust free and its never been rust proofed. Underneath its really good, very minimal and all surface rust only. I am starting to see some rust bubbling on the lower rocker panels that just appeared this past year.. 10 years in heavily salted roads can do that I suppose... however, I also don't want to send my car to scrap with the body in mint condition.. LOL.. Reminds me of my dad scrapping his old car.. after taking his seat cover off, the seat looked brand new! If I drove more, I wouldn't bother as for most folks 10 years is a good life for a vehicle.. I could probably go 5 more years without rust proofing before rust becomes a real issue, so in theory, despite rust starting... 10-15 years of life til it meets the scrapyard due to rust in an area with large temperature swings and heavily salted roads... you cant complain...especially considering that most people dont keep them even 10 years...

You are probably correct as even if a rust free example has higher resale, anyone looking for a truly cherry whatever you drive would not be looking for it in Canada. This is BITOG buddy, obsessive preventative maintenance is encouraged here and who does not love a mint condition old car?

Rusty cars drive me nuts, especially if I own them.

Can't see: Is that chassis C-channel (good) or box-section (bad)?

Are any lightish C/U channel chassis vehicles available on the US market?

Looked into it in the Yook and the only reasonably-sized one seemed to be a BL Sherpa chassis-cab. Earlier versions of the Toyota Zace here were channel, but no more.

That really does not look that bad to me you should see the frames at the local Toyota dealership here in Western Massachusetts. A good friend of mine works there and they are replacing Tacoma frames as early as three years old! Now just think about that! Part of the problem is in MA the brine they use on the roads is 15 times more corrosive then sea water! It is only used in three states MA, NY, and NH. Used cars here in the snow belt of Western Massachusetts look like [censored] after a shot time. I don't know what you kids up there in Canada use on your roads but I hope it's not the same mixture we use.

This year I did undercoat my frame and other areas on my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I must say the frame was nearly rust free. I was going to leave it but I had already purchased the undercoating so why not. When I sold my 2006 Toyota 4Runner in 2012 the frame and front end was extremely rusty. Toyota truck frames do not hold up well in a heavy salted area!

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
That really does not look that bad to me you should see the frames at the local Toyota dealership here in Western Massachusetts. A good friend of mine works there and they are replacing Tacoma frames as early as three years old! Now just think about that! Part of the problem is in MA the brine they use on the roads is 15 times more corrosive then sea water! It is only used in three states MA, NY, and NH. Used cars here in the snow belt of Western Massachusetts look like [censored] after a shot time. I don't know what you kids up there in Canada use on your roads but I hope it's not the same mixture we use.

This year I did undercoat my frame and other areas on my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I must say the frame was nearly rust free. I was going to leave it but I had already purchased the undercoating so why not. When I sold my 2006 Toyota 4Runner in 2012 the frame and front end was extremely rusty. Toyota truck frames do not hold up well in a heavy salted area!

I think they are experimenting with treated wood chips up here.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Did the rest of the body sleuth off in one rusty heap, leaving only the frame? What am I missing here???
I think that is supposed to be the joke.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

My cousin lived in the Lake George area of NY. He swore off Toyota years ago because of their rust problems, he'll never own another Toyota. Rustproofing is a must in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back