Why you need a dash cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't ever like to be rear quarter back to a vehicle like that. Bad juju. I also don't like to ever be side-by-side.

Last night I was coming home, entered a road way running 90° to the one I was on with a right turn, hit the gas, I'm in my own lane, wanting to move left. Blinker on. Some dude (Austin) right beside me. I slow down, he slows down. WTH? So I hit the gas, turbo spools up, and the sled takes off. By now I'm out of my entrance lane and [censored]. He also sped up when I did, but didn't have a chance once I was in boost.

I'd rather duck behind someone anyday as now they can no longer hit me: I'm behind them. But other times, boost is your friend.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You were hanging out in the other driver's blind spot. I really good driver doesn't put themselves into that position to begin with-either go around the other vehicle or stay far enough behind so that can't happen. You were not managing the space around your vehicle very well, especially as sparse as traffic was. A good driver expects the unexpected and plans for it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Why you need a dash cam

After being accident free for the last 55 years or so, I don't think I need a dash cam.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
One thing to consider about dash cams is they can also incriminate you if you are the one that makes the error while driving. Even in this thread we've already seen people interpret the video in different ways.

Are we all watching the same video??? OP was clearly overtaking. Should he have gone 20 MPH over the posted speed limit or 5 under that numb nut to stay out of his blind spot? Come on now...

G1Ws are great cams for the price, likely the best cam for the price, but man, the counterfeits of those are out there. The only one that was counterfeited more was the https://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-027-720p/ . I ordered 3 of those from Amazon at different times, and got 3 different fakes/counterfeits. Never did get a real one. So many years ago.

I also like my dash cam for a little different reason. It recorded my last trip with mom before she passed, including all of our conversations. She was annoying to drive with. Every once in awhile I replay it.

Spend all day mowing 60 miles away in farm country.. 1 block from home this PYLON almost sideswipes me. I hit the horn and he continues over.. then gives me the "thanks for letting me in bro wave" by the rearview mirror.

5 Min before this almost got tagged by a mint vette that was texting.. weaving like a drunk driver.

I left about a minute of footage in so you could see the image quality in this 40$ G1W Dash Cam.

raw footage is better than this compressed youtube.

Why you should have a dash cam.. so that when PYLON happens to you.. its not your word against theirs.

Also notice total lack of blinker.

Good defensive driving. I think you were in their blind spot and the driver didn't see you.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The price of $1K would likely only show 180 degrees.... front and back. There are huge profits tacked-on, by automakers.

I suspect it's more likely they'd throw it into a $3k upgrade package with a bunch of stuff you don't want, like the 360-degree cameras in the Rogue we test-drove a couple of years ago.

The link you list shows a $54 camera. Same camera higher price or newer model? China is in a slump so things should not be rising superfast price wise. Thoughts currently? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Spend all day mowing 60 miles away in farm country.. 1 block from home this PYLON almost sideswipes me. I hit the horn and he continues over.. then gives me the "thanks for letting me in bro wave" by the rearview mirror.

5 Min before this almost got tagged by a mint vette that was texting.. weaving like a drunk driver.

I left about a minute of footage in so you could see the image quality in this 40$ G1W Dash Cam.

raw footage is better than this compressed youtube.

Why you should have a dash cam.. so that when PYLON happens to you.. its not your word against theirs.

Also notice total lack of blinker.

Good defensive driving. I think you were in their blind spot and the driver didn't see you.

Everyday occurrence here unless you stay home or walk.

Last weekend I purchased a Garmin 30 Dash cam for $89.99 ($80.00 off) Couldn't be happier, I feel it makes me more aware on the road and gives a since of security. 3 months ago we purchased a new vehicle for my wife so we also got a combination a GPS Dash Cam and it was so nice to have that's why I purchased mine.
TOTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back