Why would you not want "MOLY?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If some oils contain "moly" and some don't and "moly" is this "super-special" ingredient, why would you ever choose an oil that did not contain "moly" as an ingredient?
confused.gif

Moly is only one of several AW/FM additives oil makers add to their product. ZDDP, antimony, calcium compounds and boron can perform similarly. It does seem to work synergistically with ZDDP but what is the magic additive mix.
dunno.gif

Mobil 1, Schaeffer's and others accomplish excellent wear with a combo of ZDDP and moly. Amsoil also gets good wear with just a higher dose of ZDDP. Both methods accomplish the same end result.....unfortunately the high dose of ZDDP in Amsoil is not API kosher but that opens another can of worms.
gr_eek2.gif

[ June 24, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: mormit ]

Maybe what I found in the bottom of my GTX bottles was moly, never resolved. Do you want this in the bottom of your pan? This MAY be a reason for choosing an oil without moly.
dunno.gif

That is why i choose an oil without it. I also saw the residue in the bottom of oil bottles.

Guys, get a grip on yourself. Moly in today's oils do not fall out of suspension to the bottom of the oil bottle. Yes, back in earlier years this could have been true as in earlier years there were oils using a solid style of Mo. Now, the current type of moly is totally suspended just as zddp and the rest of the additives in common motor oils.

There are additives out there that do say SHAKE BEFORE USE and in cases such as that, you can bet that kind of additive will come out of suspension.

On LS1tech some posted that after he pulled his engine after tens of thousands of miles using Royal Purple, there was a brown sheen covering everything like it was anodized. However he had no bearing wear. So can this be this Moly plating up inside the engine parts. I find this very intreging. The guy stopped using RP because he didn't like the looks of the very smooth plating. But I'm wondering if this plating is what moly is doing and if actually beneficial to wear after it plates up, and makes an engine run smoother too.

Leo

[ June 25, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

The Moly that is in Schaeffer's, Redline, and Mobil 1 is the Moly dithiocarbamate, totally in solution, not suspension, and doesn't settle out.

The powdered moly sulfide used in some gear oils and greases would settle out, but I know of no modern formulated oil that uses the powdered version.

I've used moly containing oils for many years. Unknowingly in Pennzoil now knowingly in Schaeffer's. I have never seen sediment in any of the bottles.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
I've used moly containing oils for many years. Unknowingly in Pennzoil now knowingly in Schaeffer's.

I don't think moly was added to most Pennzoil viscosities until the latest SL formulation though. I know the SJ 15w40 long life had moly, but I don't believe the 5w30, 10w30 or 10w40 versions in SJ formula contained moly.

I have asked this question before, and I heard all about the virtues of Moly. However, it seems to me that a good "moly-less" dino like Chevron does as well on UOA as moly containing dinos.

Am I wrong?

[ June 25, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: novadude ]

I have an idea that the "moly" situation is similar to two guys, one has health insurance and one does not. If no one gets sick then there is no difference in their performance. If illness strikes, then a difference becomes apparent.

The amazing thing about Moly is that Amsoil told me repeatedly that they don't use it bc it can fall out of solution. Are they really behind the times here? C'mon, every motor oil I can think of uses it and it has proven it self to be very well worth it.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The Moly that is in Schaeffer's, Redline, and Mobil 1 is the Moly dithiocarbamate, totally in solution, not suspension, and doesn't settle out.

The powdered moly sulfide used in some gear oils and greases would settle out, but I know of no modern formulated oil that uses the powdered version.

Let me just say that I'm glad you are on this board sharing your knowlegde with us. Great, informative answer.
bowdown.gif

If you had a Cummins diesel you would not want Moly. It's been reported here that the Cummins roller cams can't get a good grip when Moly is used since friction is so low. That's why Delvac 1 is void of any Moly.

The sdiment you saw at the bottom of your bottles was most likely heavy by-products. It was most likely ashphalt!

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
If you had a Cummins diesel you would not want Moly. It's been reported here that the Cummins roller cams can't get a good grip when Moly is used since friction is so low. That's why Delvac 1 is void of any Moly.

Dave, I'd appreciate you supporting this comment. Where do you see this? There are many cummings engines running Schaeffers and I've yet to see where this statement is true.

Bob,
I recall reading this thread on why Delvac 1 didn't have Moly and what was reported was that it had to do with the with roller lifters needing a different type of friction modifier with more grip.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000002

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:

Dave, I'd appreciate you supporting this comment. Where do you see this? There are many cummings engines running Schaeffers and I've yet to see where this statement is true.

quote:

ZDDP is a lower temp, lower load AW additive, while Moly and Antimony DTC and the Naphthenates such as Bismuth Naphthenate, are higher temp, higher load AW additives. While not a panecea, it certainly doesn't hurt to have higher load additive.

IMO, you want Moly. I'm convinced that it has helped Mobil 1 SS become a much better oil and if you look at Schaeffer's it really does a fantastic job. Loading up with ZDDP is not the answer IMO. But I'm no chemist either!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back