Why would a torque convertor go bad?

Too many red flags for me to go and look, but curious: how could a torque convertor be on its way out, but ok for another year or two? I get that lock-up material can go, but to me, it’s good or bad.

Link.

Torque converter may need replacement in one or two years, according to mechanic, but up to now, it is shifting with no issues.

Maybe a reputation CYA on the mechanics part? There is a technical part of the mechanics decision making process and also a business one.

My main mechanic from years ago said he doesn't do large jobs (valve or head gasket et al) on older cars; people think they have a new car, but they have the same old one with $2K into it. "It isn't worth the risk" he once told me.

No idea.

I'd buy it anyway. How bad could a TC job be on that brick?
No idea—I assume any job is a grand these days. More like 2 since the trans probably needs a refresh by now. Could be higher, no inside knowledge on Volvos.

Edit: didn’t realize it was RWD! I guess that would make the job easier.

Last edited:
I trust Chris (Clinebarger) when he said AFM is hard on the TC - so between that and cam/lifters turned that stuff off at 52K …
Drives better too … might have lost 1 mpg …
Isn’t that because the programming intentionally slips the TC lockup in AFM, so as to smooth things out?

Isn’t that because the programming intentionally slips the TC lockup in AFM, so as to smooth things out?
Yeah - only mine was really struggling to “decide“ (4/8 constantly) … I had both a Z71 truck and the Tahoe - and they were noticeably different …

Figured you'd DIY.

Parts + beer + a weekends labor wouldn't be too bad I'd think.
Maybe… I wrecked a car recently (while working on it) and have been reluctant to sign myself up to doing anything going forward. I did manage quick struts since then, but that’s not exactly “taxing”. Seems too easy now for me to get in over my head.

I'd say that with 240,000 miles on the odometer of this 30+ year old machine, the seller is just being honest and upfront about the durability of the vehicle. Nothing lasts forever and although the vehicle is performing as designed at this particular time, there is the possibility that failure could appear within the next few years.

I'd say it's just someone being truthful.

Too many red flags for me to go and look, but curious: how could a torque convertor be on its way out, but ok for another year or two? I get that lock-up material can go, but to me, it’s good or bad.

Link.
That Volvo would have the aw70 transmission (actually built by Toyota) which has a non lockup torque converter. Also they're supposed to be filled with Dex/Merc not type F.

I would be more concerned about “title status MISSING”, myself!
Zero concern here—NH won’t issue one for anything 1999 and older. Bill of sale will do, although I want to say having an expired registration goes a long ways (otherwise a cop has to come by and do a VIN check I think, forget the details).

I’ve toyed with going down south and finding a unicorn that one down there can’t title due to this reason. Their loss, my gain sort of thing.

That Volvo would have the aw70 transmission (actually built by Toyota) which has a non lockup torque converter. Also they're supposed to be filled with Dex/Merc not type F.
I was wondering about the Type F, very explicit about that. I have heard of using that to firm up shifts (I think?) but usually one doesn’t mess with changing ATF chemistry.

Interesting: posted 20 hours ago, price drop 2 hours ago.

No idea.

I'd buy it anyway. How bad could a TC job be on that brick?

Torque convertor lockup clutch can go bad causing a lockup for number of reasons. Normally not an issue but can develop if you start doing burnouts without proper convertor/lack of maintenance.

Not hard at all to replace a torque convertor. Just make sure you top up fluid if it is dry

Makes me think of some Honda transmissions that lock and unlock in the 30-45mph or so zone and wear out. Some people shift the autos manually to keep it in gear so it stops hunting and destroying the tc.

Makes me think of some Honda transmissions that lock and unlock in the 30-45mph or so zone and wear out. Some people shift the autos manually to keep it in gear so it stops hunting and destroying the tc.
I used to do that too, preferred to downshift while not under power.

Back