Why the name "Germal Castrol"? Just curious..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear those two words put together a lot on this forum and I'm not quite sure what people are talking about. As far as I'm aware Castrol is out of the Wiltshire UK, not Germany... For this reason I have been puzzled and never got around to figuring out people here on Bobistheoilguy are talking about. Perhaps I'm mistaken about where it's made.. or maybe everyone is talking about a different brand.

Btw, what makes everyone favor these oils so much?

There is one weight of Castrol Syntec available here in the US (0w-30) that is made in germany. When it was first noticed a few years back, we bagan to call it GC. Unlike the rest of the Syntec line, this stuff is made from a PAO base oil. It also uses some really high tech viscosity improvers, making it very shear stable.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
It also uses some really high tech viscosity improvers, making it very shear stable.

Patman writes that GC contains NO viscosity index improvers here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=000350#000004

quote:

Originally posted by Patman :
Yep, GC is indeed 100% synthetic, made with some very trick base oils actually, which allow it to flow very well in extreme cold, and yet also have a thicker viscosity than most other 30 wt oils (it's almost a 40wt oil) This oil uses no viscosity index improvers either, which is why it retains it's viscosity so well.

I thought it was called German Castrol because the Elves like to goose step...boy was I wrong.

I used to think it was made out of sick, deformed elves using the secret Dr. Mengele thermo-cracking process.

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
I used to think it was made out of sick, deformed elves using the secret Dr. Mengele thermo-cracking process.

twak.gif
That's blaspemy!!! GC is made by caring, tender-hearted elves, with a whole lot of TLC mixed in that oil; & the only "thermo-cracking" that's ever gone on within the confines of the GC blending facility was tha one time when Galdor Anwarünya accidentally fell backward partially into the blending tank & dipped his "warm little buns" in the oil.....if you know what I mean.
smile.gif

I just can't figure out why this GC stuff has almost a cult following...

Never used it myself, though.

It seems that if the marketing folks REALLY wanted to sell lotsa this oil in the U.S. they would have called it "Elvoline"
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Why GC? Yea, it should be pscholte-Castrol or Castrol Pscholtec.

GM,

I LIKE they way you think! The Elves are
rolleyes.gif
but they OWE me....of course, WE ALL OWE THEM BIGTIME.
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:

twak.gif
That's blaspemy!!! GC is made by caring, tender-hearted elves, with a whole lot of TLC mixed in that oil; & the only "thermo-cracking" that's ever gone on within the confines of the GC blending facility was tha one time when Galdor Anwarünya accidentally fell backward partially into the blending tank & dipped his "warm little buns" in the oil.....if you know what I mean.
smile.gif

ww,
shocked.gif

You KNOW we weren't supposed to talk about that.

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbox:
I just can't figure out why this GC stuff has almost a cult following...

Never used it myself, though.

It seems that if the marketing folks REALLY wanted to sell lotsa this oil in the U.S. they would have called it "Elvoline"
grin.gif

Cb,

Have you ever taken a whiff of the Elixer and experienced the fresh smell of Der Schwarzvald after a summer rain or the clean, crisp air at the top of the Zugspitz or have you ever poured it out of the bottle with the sun backlighting it until the Elixer glows a luminescent green that seems to make it come alive or have you seen the way it coats the inside of your engine with an iridescent film of luxurient liquid protection...THEN you would understand. By the way the Elves prefer the name Elvöl although I think Castrol Pscholtec has a nice ring to it.

Pscholte,

I can't say I've even seen, much less smelled, the GC "elixir" here in the Pacific NW though it's probably buried in the bowels of some auto parts store. If I could find it I might actually try it.

Ooom shalla goom shuck-shuck! (from the "What's Happening" TV show)

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbox:
Pscholte,

I can't say I've even seen, much less smelled, the GC "elixir" here in the Pacific NW though it's probably buried in the bowels of some auto parts store. If I could find it I might actually try it.

Ooom shalla goom shuck-shuck! (from the "What's Happening" TV show)

Cb,

When we visited our daughter in Seattle in March I saw GC in an Autozone in the Des Moines part of southwest Seattle (by SeaTac).

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:

quote:

It also uses some really high tech viscosity improvers, making it very shear stable.

Patman writes that GC contains NO viscosity index improvers here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=000350#000004

quote:

Originally posted by Patman :
Yep, GC is indeed 100% synthetic, made with some very trick base oils actually, which allow it to flow very well in extreme cold, and yet also have a thicker viscosity than most other 30 wt oils (it's almost a 40wt oil) This oil uses no viscosity index improvers either, which is why it retains it's viscosity so well.

This oil does contain viscosity improvers. The difference is that it doesn't use the traditional polymer viscosity improvers. It uses PAO ester oils as viscosity improvers.

quote:

This oil does contain viscosity improvers. The difference is that it doesn't use the traditional polymer viscosity improvers. It uses PAO ester oils as viscosity improvers.

I think the key is that traditional polymer VI doesn't help lubricate. A base oil that also serves as a VI improver does lubricate. ExxonMobil is marketing their "high viscosity index" PAO as a substitute (full or partial) for VI improver - even for "conventional" oils.

Okay I'm still unclear of why this stuff is so popular. So I now know that the viscocity improvers are a lubricant themselves. Correct?
I find this strange because I've seen some people on this forum refer to 5W/40 Castrol Syntec sold at VW dealerships as "GC".

I'm not doubting anyone about the quality of this oil, just wondering if it's worth the extra time and money to find. I feel kind of left out with all the excitement.

quote:

Originally posted by rekced:
....I find this strange because I've seen some people on this forum refer to 5W/40 Castrol Syntec sold at VW dealerships as "GC"....

If so, they are mistaken. The dealership Castrol Syntec 5w40 oil is known as "BC", or Belgian Castrol.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
-snip- Cb,

When we visited our daughter in Seattle in March I saw GC in an Autozone in the Des Moines part of southwest Seattle (by SeaTac).

Unfortunately, the nearest AZ to me is in Marysville, about 75 or so miles south of my residence.

I might add semi-OT, however, that AutoZone stores are increasing in number here in Washington State. Too bad I don't see GC at Schuck's, then again they have an affinity for F**M equipment too...

I miss Al's Auto Supply (bought out by CSK).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back