Why the dislike for CVTs?

I’ve never seen an automatic drive past 200,000 miles even with regular maintenance.

As far as I’m concerned if the car isn’t electric I will never own another automatic again, they are all garbage compared to a stick, let alone the unholy terror that is cvt.

Now E-CVT isn’t even a transmission and gets a pass but regular CVTs are total garbage if you plan on owning and not leasing the car

I've seen plenty of automatics go 200k with no problem
Ford 4F27E with 200k no problem
Nissan/Jatco RE4F04V almost 300k until the car rusted out
Honda CVT 250k no problems
Toyota A541 over 200k no problem

The car will rust out before you have any transmission problems

Agreed. Plus there's probably some emissions and fuel economy programming that doesn't play well with MTs.

Yes, rev hang

When you shift, it will hang on to revs for a second, then drop the rpm.

Some of the worst examples include the Genesis coupe and Civic Si

Last edited:
You’re cracking me up.
2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L is 20 mpg city, 28 highway
2005 Toyota RAV4 2.4L is 21 mpg city, 27 highway
Both are 23 mpg combined.

My mom and step father's 96 Toyota Avalon has 320,000+ miles on it's untouched transmission.

Leo99 went 400,000 plus miles on his RAV4... And he did not change that transmission fluid either. Quite impressive really.

Hope you are doing good Nick94. And staying cool given how hot is has been lately.

My mom and step father's 96 Toyota Avalon has 320,000+ miles on it's untouched transmission.

Leo99 went 400,000 plus miles on his RAV4... And he did not change that transmission fluid either. Quite impressive really.

Hope you are doing good Nick94. And staying cool given how hot is has been lately.
Have spent a lot of time inside this summer, we broke our previous record of 32 days in a year of 110 degrees or more. We hit 50 days already 😳. It'll be 114 on Friday, it's just never ending!

I like the CVT in my 2016 Honda CR-V EX. I do down shift it I to S (sport) mode before going up step hills. And the 2.4 L NA 4 banger has enough power with that lower ratio (revving faster) that I do not put the peddle all the way down because if I gave it more gas it would climb the hills too fast for the turns and wear out the tires to fast by the lateral force on the tires.

In S mode it gets up and goes.

Almost 7 yrs ago I got a new Nissan Juke (NISMO) as a CUV just made more sense than anything else we looked at. Originally wanted the 6-speed manual, but that was only available in FWD. I really wanted the AWD system and in order to get that it had to be the CVT due to torque vectoring. The AWD model also has a better suspension and it was my first CVT. I'm not one to put much faith in reviews as we all have different experiences, expectations, etc. Of course I've read lots of complaints over CVTs, but will honestly say this ride has been fantastic from day one. It was something to get used to with no shift points, etc., but the performance in every day traffic to spirited mountain-type driving it just performs and has never given any sort of trouble. Yes it functions differently than a typical automatic transmission, but for me it's not a night/day feeling like some describe it. Maybe Nissan 'got it right' with this particular car, but I will drive it indefinitely and keep it in the absolute best shape possible, mechanically and cosmetically.

What I think would be a great idea if if vehicle makers would tie the slope and general acceleration or deceleration that is normally experienced with accurate GPS so the CVT ratio would gear lower (higher revs) just before you climbed a hill or accelerated on a highway on ramp. GPS tied into the transmission could anticipate what the requirements will be for the transmission and select ratios appropriate for what the vehicle will be doing a few seconds before it is required.

I was a young mechanic out of high school working at a Honda dealer and they had the Civic HX with either a stick or an auto which was a CVT.
Yes, Honda did put CVT's in a very small number of Civics in 1996 models.
The HX models were rare and meant for high fuel economy. The 6th gen Civic HX with a CVT usually failed during the 3/36K warranty.
But Honda learned from it.

I wish CVT's would be programmed to make them the most effective for both MPG and performance. The auto makers program modern ones trying to mimic a traditional automatic. The old ones like in the 96 Civic HX acted like a CVT should.they were junk in early days however.

I wish CVT's would be programmed to make them the most effective for both MPG and performance. The auto makers program modern ones trying to mimic a traditional automatic. The old ones like in the 96 Civic HX acted like a CVT should.they were junk in early days however.

The 9th Accord CVT behaves like a CVT should. The Sport models have paddles to simulate a regular automatic, but you don't have to use them, and when you don't, it acts like a CVT should.

Read what Car and Driver wrote about it's Altima CVT(2019) https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a27021737/2019-nissan-altima-reliability-maintenance/

As we've reported, the Altima is more than competent as a family sedan and has several strong attributes. It looks sharp, it handles adroitly, and it's both spacious and comfortable. And, in our test car's top-spec Platinum trim, it's decently appointed. But we didn't do it any favors by configuring it with all-wheel drive, which can only be paired with the base 182-hp 2.5-liter inline-four and a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). It's a powertrain that feels not only lethargic but also considerably lazier than its zero-to-60-mph time of 7.6 seconds would suggest. What's more, the engine sounds labored when you press it for even moderate acceleration. Its performance and behavior would probably be fine for the average family-sedan customer, but that's not us.

I love mine in my Pathfinder. Takes some getting used to at times but it's so smooth. No worrying about up/down shifting and reving too high etc

I've seen plenty of automatics go 200k with no problem
Ford 4F27E with 200k no problem
Nissan/Jatco RE4F04V almost 300k until the car rusted out
Honda CVT 250k no problems
Toyota A541 over 200k no problem

The car will rust out before you have any transmission problems

Yes, rev hang

When you shift, it will hang on to revs for a second, then drop the rpm.

Some of the worst examples include the Genesis coupe and Civic Si

My WRX's rev hang is bad as well. I'd find it to be the perfect car if it wasn't for the rev hang.

Still love it though. But that's the thing, all manuals nowadays have rev hang.

As far as I am concerned, the statement about Automatics not making it past 200,000 miles is a myth. Plenty, plenty of transmissions do. It may be unknown if they had regular service etc, maybe they did, in an unknown situation maybe they didn't 🤷 but many transes last a long time without slipping, or otherwise making sounds. Quality variables abound, same as the whole vehicle and cars may well rust away and have flaking paint before there is a trans issue, it is a roll of the dice.

Back