Why the dislike for CVTs?

I've had three cars now with Aisin 8 speeds. The Touareg has the RWD/AWD unit, my Atlas has the FWD unit with Haldex AWD, and my Volvo XC60 had the FWD only unit.

Zero issues.

What are people unhappy with?

Edit: Four. Forgotabout the Q7. Had the same 8 speed as the Touareg.
I was just asking, as I am considering a midsized SUV. I can reference the forums I was on...
Toyota Highlander
Lexus RX 350
Kia Sorento
VW Atlas and Tiguan

I was just asking, as I am considering a midsized SUV. I can reference the forums I was on...
Toyota Highlander
Lexus RX 350
Kia Sorento
VW Atlas and Tiguan
I can't speak to the others, but the Atlas and Tiguan have both had transmission updates released.

I never found my Atlas disagreeable, but it is improved with the new software.

For your standard economy commuter, CVTs make a lot of sense. More fuel efficient and easier to keep a lesser engine in its power band. It can also be extremely smooth. I see no advantages to a slush box auto over a CVT in something like a Corolla, Civic, CRV, Forester. Yes, reliability was a concern at the beginning but that's largely been resolved. Modern CVTs are no less reliable than slush boxes.

I agree for trucks, they shouldn't have CVTs. But I always laugh when people say it's not sporty enough because it has a CVT. You want sporty, get a manual. There's nothing sporty about any automatic tranny.
I disagree. Many stepped automatics are more “sporty” or fun to drive than CVTs. Some makes still put out slush boxes but others have really elevated what a stepped automatic can be. The 8 speed in our Jetta produces near DSG level quick and crisp shifts, getting you up to speed with no drama. Certainly more fun to drive than a CVT

Some makes I’ve driven (Hyundai / GM / Ford and others) haven’t nailed down tuning on SOME of their stepped automatics. Slow and lazy are adjectives I would used to describe the shift quality.

Having said that I am not a CVT hater, they have a place and a few manufacturers have nailed down reliability.

I just can't stand the way they operate. I've had a Nissan Altima rental with a CVT and also ridden in 3 new Subaru's with them. One Outback with the 2.5 and CVT, one Crosstrek with the 2.0 and CVT and one WRX.

The Nissan was just annoying to drive. Putting around was ok but the CVT had a buzz/rattle at low RPM. Get up into the higher RPM's to get going and the engine was buzzy and annoying.

The Subaru's were better but it felt like we were riding in a car with a slipping trans. Subaru programs fake shift points into their CVT's which are slow and pointless. It just felt like the car revved to heck and never really went anywhere.

The WRX was decent, probably because it has more power and the high torque CVT. Can't say I enjoyed it though.

I drive a VW with a DSG and would take it any day over a CVT. People complain they are jerky, however I only find that true if you don't know how to drive them.

I've been looking at a Subaru Outback XT or the Ascent because Subaru's AWD is class leading. I just don't think I can pull the trigger as I think i'd be miserable with the CVT and regret spending that much on a car I don't 100% like.
I read of many complaining about jerky operation from the VW DSG. I can honestly say it’s one of the smoothest transmissions I’ve ever experienced. The one I drove was a 7 speed application in the Passat with the VR6. If your a poor driver you may experience some odd behavior, but I never did. A lovely transmission indeed.

I read of many complaining about jerky operation from the VW DSG. I can honestly say it’s one of the smoothest transmissions I’ve ever experienced. The one I drove was a 7 speed application in the Passat with the VR6. If your a poor driver you may experience some odd behavior, but I never did. A lovely transmission indeed.

You have to know how to drive a DSG and they are absolutely wonderful. They display some minor characteristics of a manual, and my guess is those who can't drive a manual at all can't figure them out.

I'm flipped over mine. I've had cars where I disliked the tranny, most simply stay under the radar as adequate but this DSG is the first I've owned where the transmission is one of my favorite features of the car.

The first CVT I ever drove was the first year of the Nissan Murano, when I went test-driving new cars with my realtor. I'm very accustomed to the direct-connection feeling of lockup torque converters and manual transmissions, so that constant-slip sensation is very unsatisfying, and unnerving....it feels like something's wrong with the transmission. The 2nd one I drove was more recently in a Toyota C-HR. It robbed what little power that engine could muster. No thanks.

Have never driven a CVT equipped vehicle. Probably never will. Unless I go to Vegas and rent a car

Back