Why synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on a card that hung from the neck of the 5qt jug of Mobil 1 . On one side it shows a fuel guage ans states Save Fuel with Mobil 1. On the opposite side it has the question Why synthetica? It then goes on to say the following:

Unlike conventional motor oil, synthetic oil is catalytically processed to remove impurities and allow Mobil 1 engineer our motor oil to our specifications:

. Keeps your engine cleaner
. Offer greater engine wear protection
. Flow better in low temperatures
. Increase protection at high temperatures
. Help extend engine life

This is pretty much what I saw on other jugs of name brand motor oil as they all seem to have a good , better , best , superior type upgrade for their products. Which has alwasy worked on a person like me who does not get oil on the same level as so many of you who are members here. I am that guy that marketers love as you put the word "Nano" or molecular any where on the bottle you already have me half way thru the purchase line. Yet Friday I was able to spend a little more time reading up on some the older post and so many talked about the greatness of conventional especially if you are not trying to extend your OCI to more than 5,000 miles which I am thinking will be my sweet spot for my 96 Ford Taurus which currently has Valvoline HM full synthetic 5W-30 (I know 5W-20 is now called for but I decided to go back to the 5W-30) and has only 62,000 miles on it. Many of the more knowledgeble posters opened my mind up that a good conventional or synthetic blend would still provide all the wear protection and heat protection that full sythetic would. My question is if I go to the 5,000 mile oci and use a good conventional oil would there be any benefit to using a full synthetic on every 5th OCI or so to make sure the engine is clean.

Yes I run a top synthetic and go way farther out than you do. Why bother with synthetic, if you are not going to run the oil out a ways?
I guess you could get some cleaning out of it.

How clean do people want an internal combustion engine to be, and I've never heard the actual mechanism that makes synthetic clean better.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
My question is if I go to the 5,000 mile oci and use a good conventional oil would there be any benefit to using a full synthetic on every 5th OCI or so to make sure the engine is clean.

I don't think there would be much benefit from running synth every 5th OCI.

With 5k dino changes your engine will be already very clean.

Last edited:
A '96 Taurus would be a 3.0 Vulcan?
That engine couldn't care less what oil you use.
In TX, use a 10W-30 or even a 15W-40 if one strikes your fancy.
That engine will live a long life without regard to oil or OCI.
The automatic transaxle might be another matter.
I'd be more careful in maintaining it.

Maybe in the 1970 there was a great deal better performance in the syn over conventional oils. The syn oils also had close to HDEO add packages . These days extreme cold and greatly extended oil changes are the best benefits of syn oils . If you want to spend the extra $$$ why not.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A '96 Taurus would be a 3.0 Vulcan?
That engine couldn't care less what oil you use.
In TX, use a 10W-30 or even a 15W-40 if one strikes your fancy.
That engine will live a long life without regard to oil or OCI.
The automatic transaxle might be another matter.
I'd be more careful in maintaining it.

The trans gets a lot of good attention as been changing fluid evey 15K to 20K with Mercon V. Just did a complete exchange last week with all new filter. Everything looked excellent.

The car is used as my daily driver two and from work which is about 30 miles one way into North Dallas hitting stop and go traffic pretty quickly about 12 miles into work and get out of stop and go traffic about 8 miles when going back home. I am going to study up a little more on this issue but I am considering going back to conventional or maybe a blend with the 5,000 mile OCI. I am not opposed to extending the OCI which I understand the synthetic allows, but I would be a little nervouse to go much over 5,000 with conventional.

It's not a 2016, just use whatever is the cheapest with a motorcraft oil filter. I run valvoline nextgen I bought for $1 qt on clearance.

My Mobil 1 oil change intervals are at 1400-1800 miles/1 yr. I use the stuff to give me added protection (HTHS and cold flow) over the same weight conventional....certainly not for extended OCI's. If they start making a conventional 0/5w-30/40 with a HTHS of >3.5 maybe I'll use it. Even so, with the sales these days, I can usually find a top synthetic for peanuts ($3-$4.50/qt). I use a M1/Fram Ultra which is overkill as well. I don't mind the extra $2-$3 over say a Fram TG/XG for better filtering.

I think running a synthetic every couple of oil changes could offer some benefit, especially in northern winters. But, the PYB, QSGB AD, are pretty stout in cleaning additives. Not many conv oils will clean as good as PYB.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You change your oil every 1400-1800 miles ?

Sure do. That car is my toy. Only driven about once per week on average. No doubt many here would push an OCI to 2-3 years. I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet. But, you never know. I've only recently gone from 2X per year to 1X. I would say the majority of owners of low mileage performance cars more than 10 years old are probably doing the same thing. Many still change the oil 2X per year regardless of miles. The guys doing oil changes every 2-3 yrs are in the minority. Not taking any sides, just pointing out what I see on the other tech sites.

Advantages of Synthetic
- Better Cold Flow
- Holds Up Better Under Extreme Heat, Cold, Towing, etc.
- Longer Change Intervals Save Money, Less Time Spent Changing Oil

HOWEVER, if you're not under any kind of extreme weather or conditions or you don't plan to extend your change interval, there is no use in paying the few extra dollars for synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Need4racin
It's not a 2016, just use whatever is the cheapest with a motorcraft oil filter. I run valvoline nextgen I bought for $1 qt on clearance.

So you would use a conventional 5W30 in a Ecotech engine requiring 0W20 synthetic?

Anyone else here do this?

In a 96 I think I would be running a quality high mileage oil to help maintain the seals. That and a motorcraft filter. Doesn't sound like you need a synthetic oil, but if you want it, magnatec 5w20 is full syn and cheap. Supertech is also cheap. Been running supertech 5w20 syn in my 96 civic hx with about 153k on it now for a few oci and no issues. Consumption is down from when I bought it. I ran a Berryman flush before switching to synthetic, then a short oci before 5k oci on supertech 5w20. Surprised the cheaper, synthetic,thinner oil has lower consumption than whatever bulk 10 or 5w30 it got before I bought it.
Sorry, rambling, but just meant to say that you can use a cheap synthetic without worry at about the same price. However, in your case, I would try a high mileage oil to start. Really helped in my old Camry.

I use synthetics because my cars get:

1 short trips < 2 mile commute on one
2. long idling in all types of weather.
3. VVT oil control valves and screens that need to stay clean
4. some of the female drivers ignore the OLM.

So its cheap protection. All are basically severe service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
I believe it's called MARKETING

^^This. "Synthetic" oils do not offer greater wear protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back