Why Such Baby Filter On a Big Truck Motorcraft FL500S

Was Motorcraft just trying to standardize across an entire platform of vehicles. The Motorcraft FL500S is a great filter to be sure just shocked at how small it is on a F150 5.0. Doesn't its size severely restrict how much media element they put in there and how long it can last.

I like big filters and I can not lie, you other brothers cant deny.......

Just was not expecting a car size filter on a V8 F150. Filter on my v6 Ranger is huge compared to the FL500s on the F150

Ford released an "updated" filter (FL-2055) for the 3.5 EcoBoost years ago, only to change back to the 500s not long after. This was reportedly due to production costs associated with this new filter. It was MASSIVE compared to the 500s, it even towered over the old FL-1A filter.

Attachments

• 20210219_163704.jpg
    20210219_163704.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 117
The FL-500S is pretty standard size for a V8 application these days. Some filters for V8s are smaller than the FL-500S, many basically the same size as the FL-500S.

The FL-500S is pretty standard size for a V8 application these days. Some filters for V8s are smaller than the FL-500S, many basically the same size as the FL-500S.
Check out this letter I found floating around on the web about the FL-2055, and this subsequent PH2055.

Attachments

• 20210219_164607.jpg
    20210219_164607.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 475
Check out this letter I found floating around on the web about the FL-2055, and this subsequent PH2055.
Interesting ... apparently Ford thought the 3.5L twin-turboed Ecoboost needed a bigger more efficient free flowing oil filter (full synthetic media). That bulletin was dated back in 2011. If the NA 5.0L V8 needed something better than the FL-500S they would have changed it too, but the FL-500S has been specified for the 5.0L V8 since at least 2015 I believe. The first Gen 5.0L specified the FL-820S up until the second Gen 5.0L came out in 2015.

Interesting ... apparently Ford thought the 3.5L twin-turboed Ecoboost needed a bigger more efficient free flowing oil filter (full synthetic media). That bulletin was dated back in 2011. If the NA 5.0L V8 needed something better than the FL-500S they would have changed it too, but the FL-500S has been specified for the 5.0L V8 since at least 2015 I believe. The first Gen 5.0L specified the FL-820S up until the second Gen 5.0L came out in 2015.
Yeah it's crazy, I think Ford was chasing timing chain issues with the filter change thing. It seems the 500s is the filter of choice for the 3.5 and 5.0, curious though, the 2.7 EcoBoost F150 uses a canister style filter mounted on top of the engine.

The FL-500S actually at one time was cross-referenced to the AC Delco PF63 for the 5.3 & 6.2 GM engines. Not sure this is the case anymore as GM has changed its bypass spec, but as far as canister size, they are almost identical.

THAT is a good case for a filter claim with whoever manufactured it! I've heard the 6.0/6.4 PSDs should always use MC filters only, but I've never seen the reason explained that well before.
I totally agree with you and that Ford tech. But, wouldn't an E-Core filter be more prone to doing the same thing VS say, an FL-400S, FL-500S, PH3600, etc., type oil filter?

I’m pretty sure the Ecore only uses the plastic down the center tube & not on the end like that 6.0 aftermarket one did, and the only real Ecore issues seem to be the early, big “window”, not tightly packed media ones. Still not using them on the Express 6.0 on my sig, it’s only getting UPFs, Ultras, or Baldwins-I apparently need all the oil flow I can get!

I’m pretty sure the Ecore only uses the plastic down the center tube & not on the end like that 6.0 aftermarket one did, and the only real Ecore issues seem to be the early, big “window”, not tightly packed media ones. Still not using them on the Express 6.0 on my sig, it’s only getting UPFs, Ultras, or Baldwins-I apparently need all the oil flow I can get!
Again, l totally agree with you 100%.
I was thinking that the E-Core having the plastic "CAGE" that it too might get brittle and start breaking apart. I'm sure there was a lot of research and development that went into the E-Cores plastic center "CAGE" design. But, isn't it possible it too could break apart under the "RIGHT" conditions? :unsure:

Again, l totally agree with you 100%.
I was thinking that the E-Core having the plastic "CAGE" that it too might get brittle and start breaking apart. I'm sure there was a lot of research and development that went into the E-Cores plastic center "CAGE" design. But, isn't it possible it too could break apart under the "RIGHT" conditions? :unsure:
Haven’t seen the cage fall apart yet (pictures online), but the early ones had bigger windows, which could allow media to blow through. They redesigned the windows, made them smaller, but (on some GM engines), flow through the tightly packed media could be better.

I think people forget that modern fuel injected engines are pretty efficient and clean compared to the old carbureted engines, which is where the FL-1A filter became the standard on Ford V8s. A larger oil filter is not really needed unless (as rooflessVW said) you are running a longer than normal OCI. Oversize oil filters are also good if you are trying to clean up a sludger.

I can only go by my personal experience, and the FL-500S is pretty big compared to the PH10060 size ones that go on the GM LS engines ( I actually have 3 Puro Synthetic PSL22500 filters (FL-500S size) that I'm going to try on the 6.0, since standard size non-synthetic media filters seem to be a little restrictive. New engines are easier on filters, IF they have been maintained correctly! My 6.0 was pushed too far on conventional non-Dexos oil by the PO (& I'm sure Hertz, the original owner), filter's catching carbon, & I have an oil pump, pickup, oring, and oil pan gasket job in my future (hopefully distant future!).

Back