Why Such Baby Filter On a Big Truck Motorcraft FL500S

Something to think about in oil filters and such,,,educational only

Why the proprietary plastic built in cap oil filter on top of the engine? Would a metal spin on really not cut it on these engines, this just seems silly?

In my little fleet of running vehicles, I have the 2010 Ford Crown Vic which specifies the Motorcraft FL-910 vs. the FL-820s for the non-police cars. It’s odd putting the same filter I use on my lawn and garden tractor on this car, but that’s what it calls for.

I’m fortunate that most other cars in my family use the FL820s sized filters so I buy them in bulk when I do. Right now, I’ve finished off my stash of Baldwin/Hastings filters, and will begin using some Fram Pro Synthetics I got on clearance from RockAuto. 😀

My 5.8 Ford also calls for the 500, it gets the 820
I think the FL500 has a higher bypass valve setting. There was a reason Ford went from an FL820 to an FL500. IMO, you're going backwards using the FL820.

I think the FL500 has a higher bypass valve setting. There was a reason Ford went from an FL820 to an FL500. IMO, you're going backwards using the FL820.
Well, that motor also specs 5w50 motor oil, maybe that has something to do with the filter spec.
She gets M1 Euro 0-40 or RP HPS 5-30, whichever I happen to have 8.5Qts of before she goes to sleep for the Winter. I don't track or drag race the car.

BOF ... if you search the 'net about using FL500 vs FL820 you'll find a lot of chatter. Some guys use FL820 instead of FL500 and vice versa. The FL500 has been specified for the Coyote since 2015 I believe. You'll find old info about the FL500 bypass valve setting being only 8 PSI, but it's actually set to 17+ PSI per an Engineer at Purolator as discussed in the post linked below.

Back