Why spend more for Timkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, am I supposed to be surprised? People want to pay bare minimum and not care about how anything works.

Maybe the import is "good enough", but Ill still do my best to not support such garbage on the market.

Now call me uninformed, but what is the unit bearing for? Is that like a hub that goes from an axle and that a wheel mounts to?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
LOL, am I supposed to be surprised? People want to pay bare minimum and not care about how anything works.

Maybe the import is "good enough", but Ill still do my best to not support such garbage on the market.

01.gif

Now call me uninformed, but what is the unit bearing for? Is that like a hub that goes from an axle and that a wheel mounts to?

Yep, unit bearing is another name for a unitized hub wheel bearing.

I know you are not surprised. I also know you go out of your way to use quality parts on your vehicles. This was more for the unwashed masses who never bother to research where the part they are buying is made.

I always use Timken components in my axle builds. You can see the quality difference! The same goes for u-joints and suspension components: Spicer or Moog.

When I sold auto parts, when a customer asked for a wheel bearing, I would go right past the Communist Chinese bearings and bring them a good domestic or sometimes Japanese bearing.

They seldom bought the quality bearing.

"They told me on the phone you had one for $4.99"

Then they would go buy the cheapest tub of sodium soap based goo grease. They wouldn't part with the 1.99 extra for the new seal. I'm just going to re-use the old one. I barely bent it."

And I say quality because you could look at the cage and the rollers on the BCA or Timken and see the difference in quality

I'm not suprised. Everytime the "cata-book" went out, I would get a bunch of people coming in wanting a 48 month $29.99 battery (BCI group 24 only for that price) for their car
"I'm sorry, your GMC calls for a group 78 (or Ford calls for a group 65....etc...)"
"I can make it fit..."

Over the last several years, Timken has been shifting their manufacturing operations to China. I talked with them about it and they confirmed that even at USA plants they are assembling bearings from parts made overseas. I don't know what the guy means when he says "domestic grade". I am not saying that Timken is not good. Heck, for all I know they may still be the best. But, all bearing manufacturers make OEM grade and aftermarket grade. I wonder if he was comparing a Timken OEM grade to an import aftermarket grade?

Originally Posted By: artbuc
I wonder if he was comparing a Timken OEM grade to an import aftermarket grade?

There still shouldn't be any bearing play in the hub assembly, let alone .003.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Over the last several years, Timken has been shifting their manufacturing operations to China. I talked with them about it and they confirmed that even at USA plants they are assembling bearings from parts made overseas. I don't know what the guy means when he says "domestic grade". I am not saying that Timken is not good. Heck, for all I know they may still be the best. But, all bearing manufacturers make OEM grade and aftermarket grade. I wonder if he was comparing a Timken OEM grade to an import aftermarket grade?

I think he's comparing the quality of a brand-name "domestic brand" bearing, such as Timken to the Chinese white box junk. Most are familiar with the fact that many companies (much to the chagrin of most) are doing a lot of outsourcing to places like China. Yet as long as adequate (much greater) QC is in place, you still end up with a quality product. Cisco gear is a fine example. I'm not HAPPY that they assemble/manufacture much of their lower-end gear in China, but it is of no lesser quality.

I think it is disingenuous, to put it mildly, when the video suggests Timken is "domestic quality" which is inherently superior to imported brands. He is suggesting "Buy Timken because it is made in the USA" when it is most likely not made in the USA. Also, it is totally unfair to compare OEM to aftermarket. All of the name brand bearing manufacturers make OEM grade which will last at least 100k whereas their aftermarket line is typically designed to go 50-60k. Just my opinion, but the video reminds me of the Sham-wow commercial when the guy pours a bottle of cola on the piece of carpet and then, when the camera goes in for the close-up, most of the cola is gone before the huckster starts using his Sham-wow.

If he is comparing Timken OEM to generic brand import, of course you will see a huge difference. Sort of like comparing a top of the line Bridgestone or Michelin to the cheapest economy tire you can get from Pep Boys. Are you impressed when the test report shows that the Bridgestone and Michelin tires are vastly superior in every category?

Last edited:
I use a lot of chinese bearings at my work. Currently I am only installing Raybestos Professional grabe hub bearings, as they are the least ones with problems right now. I've gotten timkens right out of the box that were noisy, or if they had an integral wheel sensor, it didn't work on the last one I purchased...... no more timken... sorry

Originally Posted By: 38sho
I use a lot of chinese bearings at my work. Currently I am only installing Raybestos Professional grabe hub bearings, as they are the least ones with problems right now. I've gotten timkens right out of the box that were noisy, or if they had an integral wheel sensor, it didn't work on the last one I purchased...... no more timken... sorry

Yes, this is my point exactly. I used to swear by Denso and I still believe they produce excellent quality. But, when I had to replace my A/C condenser a couple years ago they let me down big time. I paid the extra bucks to buy Denso. When it came in, I discovered it had been made in Brazil and it was all smashed up prior to packaging.The packaging was excellent and undamaged so I know it was put into the box like that at the factory. To their credit, Denso immediately sent me a replacement which was only slightly better. I straightened out the fins as best I could and installed it. So far so good.

When a major company like Denso or Timken buys a plant in a developing country, they do their best to train people, install quality control systems and upgrade equipment. However, no matter how you cut it, it takes years, if not decades, for that plant to consistently produce quality products equivalent to the "mother" plants.

I will still use Timkin, SKF, etc. The fun is in avoiding the counterfeit parts.

From CD/DVD blanks to razor blades to car parts, China will copy and sell your momma at the drop of a yen. They have been doing this for decades and will only get better at masquerading their poorly made junk as legitimate items.

Is everything made in China junk? Of course not. But how do you get retail purchasing agents that are trying to get a bonus or come under budget and don't know jack about what they are buying go the extra step to ensure that my Chevy bearing will the real deal? They don't care and probably drive a Mercedes, anyway. The Germans, like Apple Computer (for example) exercise tighter control over parts and service to avoid getting tarnished names due to items not under their control. Apple (for example) likes to screw up on their own
smile.gif

The bottom line is we are going to be hard pressed to find anything of quality in the future as long as greed rules the actions of anyone in the supply chain from a wholesaler pocketing the difference to the counter person pocketing the genuine part.

God save us all.

Originally Posted By: tgferg67
I know if I saw a "made in China" Timkin bearing I would pass on paying the "American" price.

Agreed completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back