Why so few H7 Batteries.

Why are there so few H7 AGM batteries fir sale.

Although I don’t need one right now, because both my cars call for H7 AGM batteries, while at AA and also AZ, I decided to check. Neither have any in stock. Last time I checked, Batteries + did not have any either.

I wonder why?

Had the same problem with AGM H6 for my Elantra. Wal-Mart and Sams did not have it. When it went bad I went to Auto Zone. Counter person said they do not have them in stock a lot of the time. I checked online first and they did have one. It made me wonder why are they so hard to find locally?

I'd guess it might be supply chain issues again. I retired from GM dealers last fall and we were having issues from May until I hung it up with all sorts of parts. It just takes a hunt whenever there is a shortage these days , doesn't matter if batteries for the car or a certain size lumber at the yard.

just because OE is AGM dont mean others wont work BUT sometimes "stuff" located over the battery can cause fitment issues!!

Maybe it is a supply and demand issue...maybe not much demand for that particular group of battery (in that area). I have the same issue with my '08 Kia Sorento. It takes a group 124 battery (not the 124r). Nobody in town seem to have this size in stock compare to more common sizes like the group 24, 34, 35 or 65 (top post).

Just a little off topic, but it amazes me that there are so many sizes/models of auto batteries and light bulbs. Why? You'd think that SAE or DOT would step in and make a set of standards...say three or four battery groups for gas vehicles depending on engine size (and other factors) and standardize on a few models of light bulbs (especially headlights)...of course, this could be a moot point now with the advent of integrated shaped LEDs.

While I haven't checked for availabiliy of H7/94R batteries lately I have looked around the internet to see what's listed from various manufacturers and sellers.

Costco has an H7 battery but unfortunately they only sell a wet version and no AGM. From reviews, price etc. the original AC/Delco seems like a solid way to go. I know there's others that rate overall better but there's usually a decent price bump to go with it.

What really caught my attention was a company making a lithium-ion battery in the H7 size. It doesn't even weigh 16 pounds and from the article, has more capacity than the lead-acid versions. Plus a reserve for emergency starting.

The two big problems is it looks like they won't have stock for a while and it's over $800 when you can find one.

They claim they'll typically last at least twice as long as their lead-acid counterparts. That along with the weight reduction and I'd be willing to spend about $400 for one but I'll probably need to replace my H7 within a year or two so the AC/Delco is probably the way I'll go.

Back