Why Should Hyundai Care As Long As 20 / 30 Weight Used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wdn
If Hyundai says in the owners manual to use 5W30 then use the 5W30. Being forced to use a 0W20 synthetic by the manufacturer is not better for the consumer in any sense of the word. My oil changes at the Hyundai dealer are $29.95 because the car uses conventional 5W-30. The car is still under drivetrain warranty another two more years. Now if you want to be forced into $49.95 or $59.95 oil changes be my guest.

As for SN+ who needs it? That spec has been out for less than four months. There might be a handful of 2019 model year cars that will specify it yet. It exists only to address a design flaw with turbocharged GDI engines that is inherent in their design.

I guess that's a problem for me, as I will not use 0w20 in my tdi civic even though Honda says so. especially when we all know it's all about the café #'s....

For the record, I think the 3.3L V6 Lambda is their best engine....anyway,

I like my Santa Fe. ALOT. So, to keep warranty, and to help prolong the longevity, I am going by the book and the placards on the radiator. I am running QSUD[placard] 5W-30 and OEM filters changed at 3750 miles - the severe service interval. Why the severe service interval? According to the car's computer, my average speed since I have owned the vehicle is 27 MPH. So, given Hyundai's criteria, I am definitely in the severe service category, and I bet you are too.

We all brag about what oil we use, what filter we buy, and what a gr8 deal we got at Walmart on them. But then we turn around an whine and cry about having to use them to change the oil in our cars.........? What the......?

Originally Posted by Brigadier

I like my Santa Fe. ALOT. So, to keep warranty, and to help prolong the longevity, I am going by the book and the placards on the radiator. I am running QSUD[placard] 5W-30 and OEM filters changed at 3750 miles - the severe service interval. Why the severe service interval? According to the car's computer, my average speed since I have owned the vehicle is 27 MPH. So, given Hyundai's criteria, I am definitely in the severe service category, and I bet you are too.

We all brag about what oil we use, what filter we buy, and what a gr8 deal we got at Walmart on them. But then we turn around an whine and cry about having to use them to change the oil in our cars.........? What the......?

*I think my average over all speed is like 24 MPH ~ 25MPH ... Not sure what Hyundai's recommendation for OCI is based on average over all speed the vehicle is driven - but I would go along with a 3,750 servere schedule as my average overall speed is lower than yours ! ... Conversely , I wonder what average over all speed would fit into the 7,500 mile "normal" OCI - 45+ MPH ? ... *Still no oil life monitor on my Hyundai / Kia vehicles - why not ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by Brigadier

*I think my average over all speed is like 24 MPH ~ 25MPH ... Not sure what Hyundai's recommendation for OCI is based on average over all speed the vehicle is driven - but I would go along with a 3,750 servere schedule as my average overall speed is lower than yours ! ... Conversely , I wonder what average over all speed would fit into the 7,500 mile "normal" OCI - 45+ MPH ? ... *Still no oil life monitor on my Hyundai / Kia vehicles - why not ?

Yeah, I figured that 45 MPH average would probably mean mostly highway driving. Otherwise, you are spending too much time stopping and going.

I don't put much stock in OLMs. My 06 Colorado had one, and it would go 8-10k, but I changed at 6k anyway, and its engine ate itself at 114k miles anyway....

Hyundai / KIA are two of the most lenient of OEMs where viscosity is concerned. Why we have an issue with it, i don't know. If everything BUT 10W-40 were acceptable, someone would complain that it should be allowed. It's simple... use what's in the book other than the A5/Quaker State bumble, and you'll be fine.

For my KIA that means a 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 in SM/GF-4 (SN/GF-5) or "higher"

For my Hyundai Turbo, 5w30, 10w30 or 5w40 in SM/GF-4 (SN/GF-5) or A5 or "higher"

Originally Posted by wemay

For my Hyundai Turbo, 5w30, 10w30 or 5w40 in SM/GF-4 (SN/GF-5) or A5 or "higher"

This is what it says for my Lambda II V6. Easy to meet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back