Why Should Hyundai Care As Long As 20 / 30 Weight Used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should Hyundai care if a 0W20 or 0W30 is used as long as the 2nd number is 20 , 30 or even a 40 (i.e. Europe) ?
I would think a 0W would also help Hyundai's CAFE numbers too ? Other than perhaps volatility , the OW oils are better (cold weather use only be darned !) ... All 5W20 oils are "meh" - might as well use a conventional as a 5W20 synthetic oil doesn't really buy you a whole lot as compared to a 5W30 synthetic or the 0W oils ? ...Is anything going to spin out , scorch , or otherwise going to grenade at start up ? *And what does it really mean by saying "The Hyundai Theta engines were "designed" for 5W & 10W oils - really ? Me thinks Hyundai says what they do to allow customers to use conventional oils and not feel like they have to use more expensive syn blends or full synthetics . Also save the dealers from carrying multiple oil types . The major players are making some darn fine 0W20 SN+ DEXOS 1 GEN 2 synthetic oils now with a lot of protection offered. Short of creating a TSB , I think Hyundai should advise service centers if a customer brings in a jug of M1 0W20 AFE , then let them use it ... Your thoughts ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
The major players are making some darn fine 0W20 SN+ DEXOS 1 GEN 2 synthetic oils now with a lot of protection offered. Short of creating a TSB , I think Hyundai should advise service centers if a customer brings in a jug of M1 0W20 AFE , then let them use it ... Your thoughts ?

As far as I know, Mobil would back them up on that choice.

I have no reason to use anything other than a 5W-30 in my Hyundai, so my thoughts are that I'm not going to get worked up over a manufacturer recommending what to run in their engines and acknowledge that they won't honor the warranty if I choose to run something else.

I see the Hyundai recommendations to allow for frequent trips to the dealership for oil changes. It is not about engine health, but dealership health.

I DYI and come out the winner. It allows me to use up the oil stash I accumulated.

I don't think it matters much in the USA with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protecting USA users, but how I have seen Hyundai Canada on the forums "weasel" out of warranty with their "Hyundai Click of Death" just by blatantly denying warranty or making the customer pay a $800 tare down to see if sludge cause the engine failure when they have 3 different engines on mass recall. Their 1.8 liter in a double secret warranty recall if you push them, in the US. When all they have to do is look down the oil fill hole or even pull the valve cover to get the full story if the customer changed their oil.

I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that had the HCofD at 14,000 miles and the new motor after 5,000 was such a slow dog I traded it in, YES, for a 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T. I only bought it because it is Hyundai's best motor, purely by luck on their part, and it hit every check box of what I was looking for. A roll of the dice I do know. That car is rated for 5-30 and 5-40 if no 5-30 is available. But with a GDI/Turbo and fuel dilution/heat the 40 makes far more sense. I already see my motor making oil in hot weather in Minnesota, how is that going to be in our winters with short tripping and car starter idling in the coldest mornings. I will be doing UOA to watch my fuel dilution till I get a trend and know when to dump it.

Hyundai (and Kia, made side by side with Hyundais) as per the manual, recommend 12,000 Km (7,500 mi) OCIs on a 2013 model. Yet if you read the manual, their criteria for "Severe Service" covers normal operation by about 95% of their buyers (eg: driving in hot weather, driving in cold weather, driving on roads that receive salt treatment, driving in city traffic, driving on freeways, driving on country roads ... I could go on). Now it's a 6,000 Km [3,750 Mi] OCI, oil and filter, with synthetic no less. Pure Dealer profit support, nothing else.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*And what does it really mean by saying "The Hyundai Theta engines were "designed" for 5W & 10W oils - really ?

Well, there goes my Sonata...

57.gif
15.gif

A grey area for sure.

The same could be said about a 40 weight. If they say to use a 5w40, a 0w40 should be an acceptable alternative warranty wise.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
I don't think it matters much in the USA with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protecting USA users, ... .

The M/M Act really isn't to protect the users. The intent is inform the users, and protect the OEMs by giving them the ability to "limit" their warranty.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business...w#Magnuson-Moss

When something goes wrong while under a limited warranty, the issue is one of the burden of proof.
Using products specified by the OEM (meets their criteria; or is licensed by them, etc) places the burden of proof of failure upon the OEM.
Not using products spec'd by the OEM allows them to have plausible deniabililty; they can outright deny or at least delay coverage, and the burden of proof of how/why a product failed is now upon the USER.

Consider a hypothetical:
Your new 2018 Brand XYX motor vehicle spec's a 5w-20 lube that meets their criteria, as stated in their engineering specification "ESMO-12345".

Example 1:
If you use a motor oil that is licensed to that spec, and you have a lube-related engine failure, the OEM must either cover the claim, or prove that their engine was not to blame. (They would have to blame the oil or filter maker for a lube related failure). All the expense of the denial is upon the OEM because you used an approved lube. Even if the lube was at fault, you'd be able to go against the lube maker and claim against their warranty. You chose a product that was licensed for the application; there is no fault on the "user" and the OEM and/or lube maker will cover the repair.

Example 2:
You decide that you know better than the OEM, and you use a lube that is NOT approved against the licensed spec. Now, when you have an engine that suffers a lube-related failure, the OEM can delay/deny your claim and make the USER prove that the lube chosen was appropriate for the application. Say you thought 5w-40 was "better" (you live in the thicker is always better camp) for the new engine, despite it's OEM spec for 5w-20. Now it is up to you to prove that your selection was NOT the cause of the failure. Additionally, most every lube maker out there in the market place will have their own statement that using the correct selection to OEM criteria is a condition of their limited warranty. So if lube maker brand PDQ has a lube that meets XYZ's motor oil spec of ESMO-12345, but you chose not to use that fluid, and instead used your own selection, not only can the OEM deny your warranty claim, but so can the lube maker. The burden of proof that the failure was not due to your choice is totally upon you. You against the big corporate lawyers and their teams of engineers and reams of data.

PS - same goes for filters, by the way

Caveat Emptor is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
To the OP, what started this discussion? Was it in for service at the stealership or did you read this somewhere else?

As dnewton3 said it's probably to cover their butts in case of any issues.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Mainia said:
Not using products spec'd by the OEM allows them to have plausible deniabililty; they can outright deny or at least delay coverage, and the burden of proof of how/why a product failed is now upon the USER.

And there lies the part that most people don't understand. I have seen first hand claims being denied, or delayed with engine failures, and customers waiting hoping they'd be covered or have to hire an attorney to fight for them.

With regard to engine oil, if your vehicle calls for a certain grade of oil and "you decide" to use another grade of oil and have problems make sure you have invoices for the grade on the fill cap/owners manual if you go in for warranty work......... I'm not discussing ethics here, I'm discussing problem avoidance. Yes people will say they never ask or check what was used and only make sure the sump was full and the oil "looked OK." That is not always the case, sometimes proof is requested, date, miles, an invoice, and the grade used leading up to the claim. Claims can and have been denied or delayed. Is it a rare event? Yes. Can it happen? Yes.
27.gif

If Hyundai says in the owners manual to use 5W30 then use the 5W30. Being forced to use a 0W20 synthetic by the manufacturer is not better for the consumer in any sense of the word. My oil changes at the Hyundai dealer are $29.95 because the car uses conventional 5W-30. The car is still under drivetrain warranty another two more years. Now if you want to be forced into $49.95 or $59.95 oil changes be my guest.

As for SN+ who needs it? That spec has been out for less than four months. There might be a handful of 2019 model year cars that will specify it yet. It exists only to address a design flaw with turbocharged GDI engines that is inherent in their design.

OP Here : I wrote this topic for the DIY guy changing his own oil , researching the best oil for the vehicle and questioning a few things related to OEM approved oil grades ... In the end M1 5W20 OR 5W30 Extended Performance (WM - on sale) for less than 7,500 OCI (max mileage Hyundai allows) is about as good as it gets for this 2.4L non - turbo engine .

Back in 2013 when checking Mobil1's lube selector, they would show 0w20 as a choice...along with 5w20/30 and 10w30 for the 2.4L. Fast forward to today and you'll find this is no longer the case. Only the grades allowable per the manual are recommended. If an owner only referred to that website once (back in 2013), and has since been using 0w20 and suffers engine failure, it may be an uphill battle for warranty coverage. If you're ok with that, than carry on. Rare that it is, it is possible. I, for one, did use xw40 in the last Sonata i owned, twice. I won't be doing so in the Sportage. No matter how much the fan club urges you on, if a warranty issue arises, will they retain your lawyer...? I know the important number is the one behind the W and some 0w20s are thicker than 5w20s at operating temps, but i don't want to have to defend this point in a contentious legal affair.

I don't see where any significant difference between 5w and 0w will be born out at Hyundai/KIA conservative oci in your climate.

Last edited:
I have the Hyundai/KIA 2.4lin my Optima. I use a 5W30 Blend or Synthetic with 5,000 oci. I keep my receipts. Am I worried? No! As far as 0WXX, none of that stuff is going into my vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Mainia
I don't think it matters much in the USA with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protecting USA users, ... .

The M/M Act really isn't to protect the users. The intent is inform the users, and protect the OEMs by giving them the ability to "limit" their warranty.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business...w#Magnuson-Moss

When something goes wrong while under a limited warranty, the issue is one of the burden of proof.
Using products specified by the OEM (meets their criteria; or is licensed by them, etc) places the burden of proof of failure upon the OEM.

Consider a hypothetical:
Your new 2018 Brand XYX motor vehicle spec's a 5w-20 lube that meets their criteria, as stated in their engineering specification "ESMO-12345".

Example 1:
If you use a motor oil that is licensed to that spec, and you have a lube-related engine failure, the OEM must either cover the claim, or prove that their engine was not to blame. (They would have to blame the oil or filter maker for a lube related failure). All the expense of the denial is upon the OEM because you used an approved lube. Even if the lube was at fault, you'd be able to go against the lube maker and claim against their warranty. You chose a product that was licensed for the application; there is no fault on the "user" and the OEM and/or lube maker will cover the repair.

Example 2:
You decide that you know better than the OEM, and you use a lube that is NOT approved against the licensed spec. Now, when you have an engine that suffers a lube-related failure, the OEM can delay/deny your claim and make the USER prove that the lube chosen was appropriate for the application. Say you thought 5w-40 was "better" (you live in the thicker is always better camp) for the new engine, despite it's OEM spec for 5w-20. Now it is up to you to prove that your selection was NOT the cause of the failure. Additionally, most every lube maker out there in the market place will have their own statement that using the correct selection to OEM criteria is a condition of their limited warranty. So if lube maker brand PDQ has a lube that meets XYZ's motor oil spec of ESMO-12345, but you chose not to use that fluid, and instead used your own selection, not only can the OEM deny your warranty claim, but so can the lube maker. The burden of proof that the failure was not due to your choice is totally upon you. You against the big corporate lawyers and their teams of engineers and reams of data.

PS - same goes for filters, by the way

Caveat Emptor is all I'm saying.

And in a lot of the cases the oil speced viscosity is ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY there because of tree hugger "GREEN" CAFE standards,PERIOD. And oil form and car forum Dogma keeps repeating FUD over and over again. And really when have we truly seen oil related engine failure? Almost never. In the final outcome we see no oil in the sump, we see engine design problems and manufacturing problems, with Hyundai the crowned KING of both those issues, still in 2018. They have 4 different style engines in crisis.

In a lot of cases yes they know better then the manufacture, because they know a viscosity spec is only because of "GREEN" And if it was up to a engine mechanical engineer the engine would have 5-40 or 0-40 in it as a whole. Yes thicker is better in my camp, I have a GDI Turbo in Minnesota with short tripping. Thank God Hyundai at hear did not screw up AGAIN in their enginnering and specd 5-30 and 5-40 for fuel dilution and high heat. Unlike Honda 1.5 turbo thinking 5-20 is a good GREEN spec that has no place in a fuel dilution making engine, an obsurde choice. Thinking the choice is chosen because their engineers chose it, is also absurde.

Yes, the manufacture has an out, but most don't challenge viscosity or testing to find out what and who's oil is in your sump in the USA, other counties I have no idea, if so Amsoil would be getting challanges all the time by the manufactures seeing their Signature Series does NOT pass API because they have MORE additives in their add pack then spec. A problem I want to have. All they have is a couple rouge dealers who have a puffy chest. Our oil is so good these days you just are not tanking engines with even conventional oil.

As for burden of proof, lets see them deny Signature Series because it has a more robust add pack then what API is specing, it appears the manufactures are not doing it because they know better.

I also completely disagree with your take that MMWA is there to protect the manufactures, to limit warranty it is the antithesis of that. The MMWA gives ME the right to buy a brand new Rav4 drive it off the lot go to my garage and dump the crap WS out and put in some Redline D6 and 1 year later the tranny blows and they test which they wont unless it is a rouge dealership that you would own(wink) and they have to warranty it because D6 is far superior in every way then WS mind you, and Redline has approved the use of D6 for a proper replacement for crap WS.

Sorry, I don't agree with your forum FUD Dogma. I have talked with both Amsoil and Redline with how oil related controversies have worked with manufactures and dealers with them for the last 5 years. It's always rouge dealers that don't seem to win the cases they bring.

I guess you didn't read the link I presented ... Right from the FTC website.

The OEMs generally have written limited warranties.
So do the lube makers.

Go ask Amsoil if they will cover you if you choose to run GL-5 gear oil in your 2.4L engine. Ask them if you are covered if you choose to run a 5w-40 where a 0w-20 is spec'd by the OEM.
Here's what they have to say in THIER OWN WORDS, IN THEIR OWN WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY.
Amsoil:
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf
Failure of equipment when AMSOIL lubricants are not used in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage. The Consumer is solely responsible for determining a product’s merchantability or fitness (“suitability”) for a particular purpose and assumes all risks and liabilities when used other than in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage.

Both RL and RP don't have their warranties for viewing. I've emailed them.
Here is what RL has to say:
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, we stand behind our products as being suitable for use but don’t offer a specific extended warranty and wouldn’t specifically supersceed the manufacturers warranty obligation.
We base our recommendation on the viscosity and fluid type originally specified and called for.
Regards,
Dave Granquist

IOW - they don't even offer a written warranty. !!!!!!!!! You have NO warranty from RL products other than the implied warranty at the state level.

Here is Mobil's:
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty
This limited warranty excludes: ...
Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.
Mobil lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil.

SOPUS:
https://rotella.shell.com/warranty/terms-and-conditions.html
https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/w...LzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=
etc

Other companies are similar.

Regardless of the reason (your assertion of tree-hugging not withstanding), the vis CAN BE a part of an OEM spec. Or maybe it is not. Two examples from the same source; Ford.
WSS-M2C945-A is for 5w-20
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...d%20Motor%20Oil&category=Motor%20Oil
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...c%20Motor%20Oil&category=Motor%20Oil
You will note that both the semi-syn and full syn are set up for that same spec. And in fact, there are lots of dino oils that are licensed to that spec (Mobil, QS, Shell, Valvoline, etc).
My point is that the base stock is NOT a part of the spec, but the grade is a part of the spec.

WSS-M2C946-A is for 5w-30; same here. No requirement for base stock (dino, semi, full syn can be qualified to that spec). But GRADE is a part of the spec; only 5w-30.

But, the diesel oil spec is different:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf
a large smattering of grades, base stocks, etc. There is no one specific grade; many can qualify. There is no specific base stock; dino, semi, full all apply.

When Ford spec's a lube, as long as you use the spec'd lube (applicable by license, etc), then Ford bears the burden of proof in any issue.
If you don't use a spec appropriate with the OEM, then the lube maker warranty MAY OR MAY NOT apply, depending upon how they word their warranty. If they recommend a 5w-30 where for a Ford application where Ford spec's a 5w-20, and you use a 5w-30, then the lube maker would warrant the failure IF it were lube related, even though Ford can deny/delay claims. But if you use a 5w-30 where both the OEM and lube maker 5w-20, you're out there in the cold on your own. It is up to you to prove that your choice would be valid and did not cause the failure.

If this were not true, if the concept of "full or limited written warranty" did not apply, then the concept of implied warranty would rule. This is EXACTLY WHY the M/M Act law allows a maker of a product to limit their warranty statement. IT IS NOT TO PROTECT THE CONSUMER FROM WARRANTY DENIAL; IT IS TO PROTECT THE PRODUCT MAKER FROM AN OTHERWISE UNLIMITED IMPLIED WARRANTY.

The nuance you allude to is that of the OEM vs. Lube Maker. If RL or RP makes a lube that is not licensed, but otherwise would meet the intent of the OEM spec, then there would be some amount of wrangling between them, but not you. Unfortunately, you may well be a causalty of time in their lethargic response to your vehicle being immobile, while they argue the merits and test stuff.

It is correct to say that OEM cannot make a requirement of use of their branded product without providing it free of cost. But as long as the aftermarket steps up and offers alternatives, that is not an issue. HD dealers got into a big pickle a few decades ago when they tried to mandate the use of their HD lubes at service time, and/or heaven forbid if the owner used a lube that was not "spec'd". Oddly, HD didn't publish their motor oil spec at that time, and so it left little to the user to decide what to do. But, HD found out the hard way from the FTC that they could not deny warranty claims because they were unwilling to give their lube away for free, but also hadn't published a spec for the lube.

Again - caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Hyundai speced 5w20 in my Gen Coupe turbo but quickly threw that in the trash for 5w30-10w40s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back