Why shop locally for parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boss called me and asked me if I could also replace the filters when I go over to install new plugs and belt on her Gen7 Accord.

A quick search locally shows the cost of premium engine and cabin filters to be $17/ea plus tax.

From past experiences, the quality of OE Honda air and cabin filters have been significantly higher than Wix or Fram, so I checked my usual online parts seller - Curry Honda/Acura.

Price? $19.33 for the engine and $16.66 for the cabin air filter, shipped to my door. Total is $36.99, cheaper than any local aftermarket option plus I have a higher quality part.

Same for my car - the Prius. Walmart wants $6.63 for a CH10358, O'Reilly wants $7.99 for a Wix 57064. In a 10-pack, I paid $4.00 per genuine Toyota filter shipped to my door, with a new OE aluminum/teflon crush washer (normal cost for these is $1-$1.50).

Unless you have a shop account that gives you a substantial discount, or if its an emergency, I do not understand why one would purchase common routine maintenance items from local retail stores. Buying online saves you significant $$, and you often end up with a higher-quality part for less money than what you would pay at the retail level (for a lower-quality part).

Free shipping to your door step is a nice thing indeed. I take advantage of that when possible from Amazon, AAP, etc, etc.

I had a similar situation with a valve cover replacement for a 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5L.

Dealer wanted $145 + $17 for gasket + tax.

Bought an identical Genuine Nissan part on ebay from a Nissan parts distributor for $115 with Free Shipping and the gasket included. Came in a Nissan box, wrapped in Nissan wrapping with part numbers and everything!!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Boss called me and asked me if I could also replace the filters when I go over to install new plugs and belt on her Gen7 Accord.

A quick search locally shows the cost of premium engine and cabin filters to be $17/ea plus tax.

From past experiences, the quality of OE Honda air and cabin filters have been significantly higher than Wix or Fram, so I checked my usual online parts seller - Curry Honda/Acura.

Price? $19.33 for the engine and $16.66 for the cabin air filter, shipped to my door. Total is $36.99, cheaper than any local aftermarket option plus I have a higher quality part.

Same for my car - the Prius. Walmart wants $6.63 for a CH10358, O'Reilly wants $7.99 for a Wix 57064. In a 10-pack, I paid $4.00 per genuine Toyota filter shipped to my door, with a new OE aluminum/teflon crush washer (normal cost for these is $1-$1.50).

Unless you have a shop account that gives you a substantial discount, or if its an emergency, I do not understand why one would purchase common routine maintenance items from local retail stores. Buying online saves you significant $$, and you often end up with a higher-quality part for less money than what you would pay at the retail level (for a lower-quality part).

You found a premium cabin and engine air filter locally for $34 and the same items online from Honda for more at $37? I missed something, how is it cheaper?

I'm actually glad that people do by stuff from retail outlets. If everyone bought their routine maintenance items online, the local outlets would stop stocking these items when they don't move. Then the day you need a part, sorry no stock.

Agree, local parts stores have a lease to pay, employees to pay. They pass on those costs in the price. But some people are afraid to buy online. Or don't have a Visa bank debit card, bad credit, no credit card. I use Paypal whenever possible anyways.

The funniest thing I have noted about buying parts is this.

If I set up a trade account at EuroCarParts I can get 10% off.

If I order online for local collection then put all the stuff in my checkout but don't complete the transaction they email me a discount code to use.

Normally something like lastchance25 or similar.

Most I got off was 30%.

So I now do that and then get my parts from the same store.

Even better is all the parts have been OE quality so far.

THat is almost the only reason why i do it. Well that and shipping prices. Axles and sometimes rotors are about even after shipping.

Somethings just aren't avoidable tho and you need it now. LIKE a Honda main relay $50, but w/o it your car will not start.

Your under the impression that EVERYTHING OEM is superior then AFTERMARKET. While its true most cases its not always the case.

IE Toyota Air filters a while back were like $15 and $45 for TRD. We found the TRD was rebadged K and N which cost $30. Some parts the aftermarket world will make better because OEM guys will are looking for ways to cut cost and they pick the lower cost vendor who will do it. Find the vendor and SAVE tons.

oil/air filters, belts, spark plugs. Can be had cheaper with coupons. Like Pureone Gold filters L14610 are on part with OEM nissan filters and cheaper if you get a coupon/sale. $3pureone to OEM $5-7

Most online dealerships never give you a break on shipping. But Shipping normally equals tax.

Last edited:
All this buying online business is OK, but think about it for a second. What if everybody buys online? Do you really think that the prices will stay that low? I doubt it.
Also, if only urgent items are bought in local stores and everything else online, how long do you think the stores will survive? Then you will be stuck paying huge premiums for express shipping.

I'm all for saving money, but supporting your local store is very important as well. My local Napa store, for example, has some knowledgeable guys working behind the counter, not teenagers, and their advice is very helpful. Try getting that from the online retailer. Stuff like return of the parts is also much easier locally.

The pursue of the cheapest goods possible in every aspect of our lives has already proven itself to be very destructive, just look at our economy.

^ I only support my local SMALL shops. Don't give too much care into autozone, orelly, AAP. They keep hiring teens who know nothing and offer no help to me at the desk.

I had a young lady tell suggest that i installed the sensor wrong after she gave me the wrong PART! WIth old part in hand.

The pursue of lowest possible cost is ONE FACTOR. The greed on the other end is another. If i can buy xxx part online for $15 there is no reason for you to want $30-45 IN STORE because you stock it. $20-25 and you will sell more. Because at $15 the online store is still making a small profit. Being at a dealership setting and seeing some parts being marked up 300%. Thats just INSANE. [censored] even on aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
IMO there is a balance though. Many local places stock nothing but junk. It costs more to stock better quality stuff that sells for more, and Joe Public wants to outlay the minimum money without any consideration for quality or what that means. And many local places arent local places, rather just corporate stores that are physically local...

What everyone seems to fail to notice is this:

From past experiences, the quality of OE Honda air and cabin filters have been significantly higher than Wix or Fram

It appears that the due dilligence was done long ago, and the quality to price benefit was compelling. If it wasnt, Im sure that convenience would have driven selection of a local store.

I get it that the local guys have a business to run with costs, etc. But so does the guy on the other end of the ethernet wire, and many of them actually do have a brick and mortar establishment on the other end... They just had the forethought to have an internet division.

Generally what I do is try to give the local guy my business because they pay taxes in my community. I state my case and what the competitor is willing to sell at. They can accept my offer, or I can walk. Its their call. They are allowed to say no, so Im not some evil person undercutting their business. My money is green and Im willing to give it to them. Ill just not be a bozo wearing blinders to full retail when I have another basis.

What about the warranty??

I saved $30 by buying my shocks online. Now, two years later, they are completely shot and needing replacement. It was cheaper and easier for me to just buy two replacements than to pay the return shipping costs and be without my truck for a couple of weeks while this gets straightened out. I wish I would have bought my shocks local.

I buy locally for the simple ease of it. Ordering parts online can be a gamble also. What if they send the wrong part? Or it comes broken? All you have to do is, convince the seller there's was a problem, send it back and wait for a new part to show up hoping it's the right one. That really saves time. And is a cabin filter really that critical enough to insist on a superior factory branded one? Do you think Honda really owns a factory that just makes filters for them? And how about the local guy, your neighbour,the guy whose kids play with yours,Why is supporting him a bad business choice? Who would you think benefits more from the sale of a couple of filters? Honda, Walmart, a big chain store , or the mom and pop store whose owners lives in your community?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
All this buying online business is OK, but think about it for a second. What if everybody buys online? Do you really think that the prices will stay that low? I doubt it.
Also, if only urgent items are bought in local stores and everything else online, how long do you think the stores will survive? Then you will be stuck paying huge premiums for express shipping.

I'm all for saving money, but supporting your local store is very important as well. My local Napa store, for example, has some knowledgeable guys working behind the counter, not teenagers, and their advice is very helpful. Try getting that from the online retailer. Stuff like return of the parts is also much easier locally.

The pursue of the cheapest goods possible in every aspect of our lives has already proven itself to be very destructive, just look at our economy.
It's called capitalism and PROMOTES competition.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why are you being his gopher and doing what he should be doing himself ?

It's known as keeping your private sector job in a wonderful economy.

The NAPA nearest my house is a franchise, and the same guy owns a few in the area. They have good staff and a good selection whenever I'm in there, and ordering online for in-store pickup is a breeze. I'll support that kind of local ownership when I can, but sometimes they're nearly twice the price of RockAuto or Amazon for comparable items. With an unemployed spouse and three kids, cost is a big factor in my decisions.

generally i do a few things. if i'm looking for *quality* parts then i have most recently used rockauto. they are hands down beating amazon and ebay on price plus shipping.

if i need a battery, its advance auto plus a coupon, OR walmart only.

walmart really has very low prices on purolator filters.

you really have to take each instance case by case from my limited experience.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

It's called capitalism and PROMOTES competition.

I'm sorry, but a competition to the bottom is no competition at all. Capitalism will always put short term gain over long term and if something goes wrong everybody cries foul and put their hand out for our tax money. That is why capitalism has no trouble outsourcing everything they can abroad resulting in cheap goods. Sure it all seems like a win-win situation for now, but what about 15-30 years from now when all that's worthwhile is being made outside of NA?
Will you be cheering capitalism and competition while your job is done for pennies on a dollar somewhere in China, or some other place and you are out of work? What if 30 years from now you will find out that you pension is no-existent because the company packed their bags? Will you accept capitalism and as part of being competitive or want the government to do something about it?

Do you think that when China or Germany do everything they can to attract buisness and retain the existing one, are they not capitalistic or trying to stay competitive? Why can't we as a copuntry try to stay competitive?

I base my buying decision on a few balancing factors:

(1) Do I need it today? If yes, then I'm buying it local.
(2) Is there a big price difference, local vs. online?
If online is significantly cheaper, then I'm buying it online.
(3) What kind of warranty does the local part offer? If the warranty is lifetime and it's something that I'm likely to need to replace again, then I will likely buy local (assuming the price isn't significantly different.)

I bought a set of 4 shocks for my Avalanche locally. I paid about $6 more each than I could find them for online. One of them ended up having a defective bushing that became loose & noisy within about six months. The shocks had a lifetime warranty. I went to the local store, they pulled up my phone number, gave me a new shock no questions asked. I swapped the shock and the next time I was driving by the store I returned the old shock and got my refund. Doesn't get any easier than that!

I love saving money online but there are definite benefits to be had by buying local, you just need to balance your needs cost/benefit.

the question really is, can any online price touch the price of the same part at Advance Auto using a discount code? In my experience, no. So it is off to the CPU first and Advance Auto second. Those codes are a God-send!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
the question really is, can any online price touch the price of the same part at Advance Auto using a discount code? In my experience, no. So it is off to the CPU first and Advance Auto second. Those codes are a God-send!

I agree. I've been a long time Autozone shopper because they are close to my house and always seem to have everything that i need, that is until i learned about the AAP codes. Now i buy EVERYTHING from AAP online and use a code each and every time to save big. Thank God for those codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back