Why semi-synthetic for 2011 chevrolet cruze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new to me chevy cruze with the non turbo.
Pretty good engine, great on gas and very quiet, it spec for 5w30.

BUT dealership told me it require semi-synthetic or synthetic....why??

I dont want to do 10k oil changes, 5k is good enough for me.

Let me know what you guys think about that dexos1 propagana.

Thanks!

Helps your timing chain last.

Takes special tools to set the cam timing on it so it is an expensive proposition.

Because no Dino meets dexos1 but some blends do. So a synblend is the minimum to meet that spec.

Congrats on the car Wolf_06. Dexos 1 is the new oil
spec for GM. You have to use it for warranty. GM's OLM
system was re-calibrated on certain engines so it might
be that 5000 mi may be the limit on your engine anyway.
Enjoy the ride.

Is the LS engine turbocharged ?
If so I can understand why they want semi-syn. If not maybe it due to the oil monitor?

Either way.... the Cruze is a great car. Much better than I expected after renting a Cruze for a week / 700 miles.

Why would you want to use an inferior oil in a decent newish car to save a few dollars.

Dexos specs have been introduced for good reason.

I still feel that unless the saving is 100% why use anything other than full synth oil, wife's Clio is starting as it used to in the morning now it is back on 0w40 Mobil 1 with no oil consumption again, admittedly the synth blend was 10w40, but it will be the last time I use semi synth or a blend unless it is in extremis or if I am selling the car and want to sell it with fresh oil.

The fact that very few conventional oils are still for sale in the UK may show how little they are now used.

And the fact that I haven't seen any conventional that actually meets the specs needed for any of my current fleet is also relevant.

As is the fact that unless a car is really badly abused with lack of oil changes sludging of engines is something that you no longer hear about.

The last one to give this problem was the Saab turbo engines.

Diesels with a Dpf are a different situation caused by fuel contamination.

I think that as car manufcturers globalise more and more a lot more US market cars are going to be specifying semi synth or full synth oils as the same engines are going to be fitted on both sides of the pond.

I also have a 2011 Cruze but it's the turbo.
I wouldn't use anything but synthetic in the 1.4 turbo but the 1.8 non-turbo would probably be OK with a semi-syn.
Pennzoil's dexos1 synblend is $17 for 5 quarts at WM and QSUD is $21 so the price difference isn't huge.
The 1.8 engine has a timing belt while the turbo has a chain (lower maintenance)..

For the 1.8, just use the easy stuff Pennzoil's syn blend-only 16.50 for the jug.

If you're feeling fancy pants, you can go QSUD for just 4 bucks more!

I would guess that it is still under the factory warranty? If so, I would stick to what they recommend in the owners manual.

The 1.8 in your 2011 LS is fine running out the OLM on semi-syn. It's a easy engine on oil. The 1.4T in the LT/Eco/LTZ needs full synthetic oil changed every 7500 miles or 30-25% on the OLM. That semi-syn lasts about 5000 miles tops. It's not easy on the oil.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The 1.8 in your 2011 LS is fine running out the OLM on semi-syn. It's a easy engine on oil. The 1.4T in the LT/Eco/LTZ needs full synthetic oil changed every 7500 miles or 30-25% on the OLM. That semi-syn lasts about 5000 miles tops. It's not easy on the oil.

That's what I was trying to say.

Sciphi: So far I've only used Mobil 1....do you believe that Synpower, Napa Syn, QSUD etc..will all work for 7500miles/25% OLM in the turbo?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
For the 1.8, just use the easy stuff Pennzoil's syn blend-only 16.50 for the jug.

Not here, conventionals are like $25-30 for a jug here. Mobil1 jugs at Canadian Tire are $50 something.

I would stick to mobil 1 if I had the turbo, but its just me.

Pennzoil and sopus synthetic doenst seem to hold up as well as mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Not here, conventionals are like $25-30 for a jug here. Mobil1 jugs at Canadian Tire are $50 something.

Can I sugest that you shop at Walmart. The PYB can be found for $10.88 on sale and Pennzoil Platinum on sale at $24.88 (a few times a year) Boxing day sale on the PP was $19.88. I bought the 4.4 Liter jug M1 0W-20 at Candian Tire 2 months ago for $30.
Keep an eye out for the sales.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

We Canucks really need to abandon WM and CT. The Imperial Oil distributor here is selling synthetic for about twenty-five cents a litre more than what WM and CT sell conventional (regular prices of course).

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Are these Cruze engines now Direct Injection(DI)? If so, this is anogher reason that they require a syn/blend or full syn that meet dexos1. Also, if the engine is turbo charged and has DI then, you would certainly want more than a conventional(Dino)oil
smile.gif

GM's own brand of desos1 oil in particular, is a syn/blend. Until recently, I've only seen full synthetic oils on my store shelves that were dexos approved for GM engines.

It seems also that, more and more brands of oil are stating that they meet dexos requirement

Originally Posted By: 229
Helps your timing chain last.

Takes special tools to set the cam timing on it so it is an expensive proposition.

The 1.8l has a chain?

Thought it had a belt and the 1.4l has the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back