Why Schaffer oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between Schaffer conventional and other more common conventional oil. I was told it was different because it uses a parifin base and other oil uses an asphitic base.

Do you mean napthenic? In that case no oils use it. Parafinic base stocks are the cornerstone of modenr automotive lubrication. Schaeffers seems to have lead the pack in friction modified additive packages.

I'm sure someone on this board can give a more accurate answer to your question, but I'll add what I know.

I toured the Schaeffer's plant back in 1998 with our car club. I remember our tour guide stressing that Schaeffer only uses the most select "purest" Paraffin. Their additive package includes more additives that most other oils. I also recall the "brewing" process was a slower and more costly, but produced the best results.

[ March 28, 2006, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: denny2w ]

I just want to add one thing - parafinic base oils do not contain parafin wax. I have heard this from many old time mechanics when discussing QS. "They are too cheap for real additives, so they use parafin wax to make it slipperier. This causes sludge in your engine"
pat.gif

First off, Schaeffer's is an excellent product. Their 7000 series of oils are a mix of Group II+ and PAO (A true blend) with a higher concentration of synthetic than most blends. They are purchasing their Group II+ from either, Chevron, Shell, Mobil, Petro Canada, or Flint Hills, not sure which one at this time. The main additive package is either Ornite or Lubrizoil. They add Moly at a stronger rate than most and they add one of their special additives, Pentro.

Salesrep, if I've missed anything please add.

If I had not spent 21 years with Pennzoil and retired with Pennzoil and were not using Pennzoil Platinum, I would be using the Schaeffer's #704 in my cars. Again, it is an excellent product.

Schaeffer is a small outfit that chooses to distinguish their products through the very high quality. There are different qualities available in every ingredient in oils, and Schaeffer chooses to buy the best. They lab-test the ingredients before they're used, test the product during production, and test the finished product. This all costs money, but part of that is recouped by their lack of advertising costs and distributor mark-up.

It is likely that Schaeffer's all dino oil will protect an engine for more miles than a cheap "full synthetic," and give better protection at that.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back