why not ASHLAND or EXXON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive heard people on here say they won't buy products from Ashland or Exxon I've heard those two more than any other company. Some people say they won't buy Exxon or Ashland products period. I thought that's kind of weird they both make good products. Then I thought they must have a decent reason to feel that way so cam someone explain it to me. Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
prej·u·dice - Preconceived opinion not based on reason or experience.

Sometimes people will also hold grudges against companies based on one bad experience. It's just their way of boycotting the company and its products as a means of retaliation. Call it revenge if you'd like, although I'm sure the company won't ever notice they lost one of their many millions of customers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: surfstar
prej·u·dice - Preconceived opinion not based on reason or experience.

Sometimes people will also hold grudges against companies based on one bad experience. It's just their way of boycotting the company and its products as a means of retaliation. Call it revenge if you'd like, although I'm sure the company won't ever notice they lost one of their many millions of customers.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

They all have their negatives. If you protested buying any oil from the majors you would not be able to buy oil from any of them. Every MAJOR oil Co. has its list of "transgressions" against the earth so you either buy G-Oil or other grp. V only producers or nothing.

So don't pick on any of 'em. You would have no oil to buy at the store.PERIOD

No oil Co. has figured out a way to manage the earths resources respectfully (moreso in third word countries). I hope it changes but until then use G-oil or shut up!

BTW I am not directing the shut-up at the OP. I am directing it at people who choose to buy oil from one major insted of another on environmental merit, including myself as I have bashed BP and Chevron.

Last edited:
I agree I wouldn't boycot an oil company for environmental reasons that would.be like me boycoting a donut shop because it made me fat it would be ridiculous to do so. However if one company has a history of bad customer support or treating their employees like [censored]. I wouldnt support that company.

I'm trying to avoid Exxon/Mobil products simply because I think they are WAY too darn big and have too much pull with 'the man'.

Beyond that, they make good stuff so it's not always easy to do so.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I agree I wouldn't boycot an oil company for environmental reasons that would.be like me boycoting a donut shop because it made me fat it would be ridiculous to do so. However if one company has a history of bad customer support or treating their employees like [censored]. I wouldnt support that company.

+1

Both companies make great products. I buy lots of Mobil and Valvoline products in addition to SOPUS. Castrol....only when on sale or clearance because the price is too high for the products that they sell.

I bought a LOAD of Strauss Auto Full Synthetic, on clearance, for $2.20 a quart after tax and discount, its some great oil for a store bought product.

It was refined by one of the majors and I think I know which one.....Great Oil and Great Add Pack!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I buy a LOT of Exxon products from Mobil 1 oils to Exxon gasoline. But then I am a shareholder....

I'm a shareholder as well but it has no influence on what oil I use or like. Having said that, I'm on record stating I believe M1 0W-40 is one of the best formulations available.

Some people don't like EOM for a variety of reasons, many of them having nothing to do with their products. Aside from Apple, it's the largest corporation in the world so it represents that evil corporate excess to some and has had it's share enviromental disasters like Exxon Valdes. I'm sure that all affects some peoples opinion of the company.

Many people hates XOM because they are the largest oil company in the world, and many of them believe that XOM control/manipulate oil/gasoline price to get record profit the last few years. Since gasoline/diesel is the need of every day driving, higher fuel price hurts people pocket directly every day. Apple's products are not necessary, nice to have but not a must have like fuel, therefore their high price and record profit doesn't effect most people directly, therefore they don't have much negative views.

A good friend of mine worked for Exxon in Senegal for many years before their contracts expired and then decided to leave the area. He has nothing but good things to say for the company and how they dealt with the locals. As far as he is concerned big oil has not only helped him and his family personally, but also countless others in those places. In my opinion for every major environmental disaster story (and yes everybody has them) there are countless other stories where they try to do what good they can.

Until the world has completely embrace sustainability not only in resource management but also in business practice, we only have to stand up and do our part because if everyone does what they can change is possible.

In the meantime, I plan to keep my oil/energy consumption habits away from any type of extremism in any direction.

sorry that didn't mean to come across as a tirade, opinions (not just of corporations but in almost all cases) in my mind should always be based on your personal judgement after trying first to understand other's point of view.

Its kinda like everyone boycotting BP gasoline due to the oil spill in the ocean but then the same person goes and dumps castrol edge or gtx into their vehicle not know its owned BP or that same person hating valvoline but uses napa or car quest oil not knowing its ashland/valvoline. A single person boycotting is not going to make a difference. I use what product I believe is best for my conditions and my equipment. Usually a Mobil, Conoco Phillps,Cenex,or SOPUS product What I decide to do is not going to affect the companies bottom line, now 1 million people could be a different story.

Last edited:
Im not against using exxon products just buying them. I refuse to line the pockets of those fat cats who have waaay to much pull in the world. I'd be more than happy to give my money to Ashland and I do! I know that valvoline is not whispering into {removed political comment}

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Im not against using exxon products just buying them. I refuse to line the pockets of those fat cats who have waaay to much pull in the world. I'd be more than happy to give my money to Ashland and I do! I know that valvoline is not whispering into {removed political comment}

With few financial successes in our country these days, XM is a very bright spot. Their profit margine is lower than most think. Somewhere in the 15% range as a corporation.( and they do pay taxes) We have vast energy needs and XM helps in a big way to meet them. If XM went out of business tomorrow your energy cost would skyrocket. As for Ashland, how do you know what their political conections are? That's what I thought, you don't.

Why would someone hate Ashland/Valvoline? They don't actually have any oil reserves of their own, and they make a good product at a fair price. XOM and BP, I can understand.

Grandma Smith has two oil wells pumping 8 barrels of oil a day in southern Illinois. Her oil sells at the world price as does everyone elses. Should we hate her as well?

Exxon Valdez? I use M1 products because it's XOM's flagship product and they are a base oil and additive product leader. I don't think they are the "best" but they are certainly always among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back