Why no USA 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
A poster just asked a question that made me wonder. He lives in the Northern US, but likes to redline the car in good weather.

Why don't we have a USA/Canada product for him that is easy to get off the shelf instead of GC.

Are our companies asleep?

Why no Exxon/Mobil, Pennzoil etc. in 0-30 available of the shelf with a good HT/HS this guy needs?

My impression is that any 0w-30 is good, except US Syntec and Mobil 1. A 5w-40 is usually good quality, SynPower being a weak contestant.

Good point. Why aren't we making a product like this. It seems to be in demand.

The new mobil 0w30R may fit the bill.......only time will tell.
dunno.gif

I am missing something here... So what is wrong with Mobil 1 0W30 and Mobil 1R 0W30???
Mobil 1 0W30 was used by Penske NASCAR teams in the 2002 season and it seemed to hold up under some pretty demanding conditions.. Mobil 1R is superior, granted, but is the guy turning 12 grand or what??
George Morrison

dunno.gif

I agree, but many are so schooled that a high HT/HS is important. This is the Euro philosophy.

I aked the question, but I run m1
grin.gif

This HT/Hs thing is perhaps why m1 doesn't have the whole market here.

I asked because I'm wanting to understand. I'm caught between higher HT/HS is better and the flow issue.

quote:

I asked because I'm wanting to understand. I'm caught between higher HT/HS is better and the flow issue.

A well made, highly additized 0w-20, 0w-30, 10w-30 etc. will give you great performance. A 0w-40 or 5w-50 will shear, period. Even the most shear stable VI's shear as we see all the time. Mobil 1 10w-30 has a HT/HS of 3.3 but that oil is rock solid. No VIIs. It's also not A3 rated.

Mobil 1 0w-30 is an excellent USA, group IV synthetic oil at a moderate cost that's been around nationally since about 1997.

I don't remember ANY other oil being available nationally back then that was a good 0w-30 oil.

patriot.gif

Define "easy to get". One phone call or email. Walk out on porch next day or two for most places in the USA, 2-3 days other places.

Amsoil was selling 0W-30 when people cr@pped their pants when they saw 0W.

I'll be the first to say it's really not, except in rare cases, a 35K mile oil. But that doesn't mean it's a bad oil.

Pablo, was Amsoil the first company ever to introduce a 0w30 oil? I'm curious as to who was the very first company to market a 0w oil, and exactly when it came out.

Most people still think that a 0w30 oil is "too thin" and won't protect very well compared to a 10w30, which they think is "thicker" (these people are thinking in terms of viscosity at operating temperature)

Little do they realize that the thinner your oil is on startup, the better, and a few of the good 0w30 oils available out there are actually thicker at operating temperature than the more common 10w30 and 5w30 synthetics they use, and just as shear stable.

Patman -

I have no concept who was the first to sell 0W, but when I started hawking the stuff, no one would even stop laughing. So, I guess I'd also like to know truthfully whom had it for sale first...legends have the frostbacks using it first (makes sense) but other legends have racers using it first.

I believe many dislike M1 0W-30 due to excessive consumption in their engines. My new 1/2 ton GM pickup (4.3L 6 cyl) consumes virtually no oil, except the change I tried M1 0W-30. So it may be a good oil, but if consumption is abnormally high, I will steer away from it.

Thanks Dr. T. I have overlooked this one. It might work for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Patman -

I have no concept who was the first to sell 0W, but when I started hawking the stuff, no one would even stop laughing. So, I guess I'd also like to know truthfully whom had it for sale first...legends have the frostbacks using it first (makes sense) but other legends have racers using it first.

I first became aware of the Mobil 1 0W-30 in Utah of all places. The local Autozone's started carrying it, same in Nevada. Since I've never seen colder than 4 F in Utah, I wondered what was up with that.

The only reason I use Mobil 1 0W-30 is the extreme cold winters I have to live in. We have hit -42 a few times, and the MRV BPT of M1 0W-30 is a healthy -58 F.

My application is a 2000 GMC Sierra pickup with the Vortec 5.3 V8, essentially an LS-1 motor but with iron block.

I've kept careful track of oil consumption, and I average about 4,200 miles per quart on 0W-30 and about 6,800 miles per quart on M1 10W-30. On average, the motor works much harder when filled with the 10W-30, since I tow from 7,200 - 9,000 lbs in summer.

When very cold, the Mobil 1 0W-30 provides almost instant oil pressure and none of that clatter and knock I used to get with the "regular" 5W-30 it came with.

However, when the temps warm up, I notice a LOT more noise from the motor at operating temp. Say the ambient is +10 C or higher, I hear a lot of "ticky ticky" valvetrain sounds that I just don't hear with Mobil 1 10W-30.

The HTHS rating of M1 0W-30 is 2.99 mPa s @ 150 C, of M1 10W-30 is 3.17 mPa s @ 150 C. You'd think this isn't a huge difference, but it IS an audible difference.

Jerry

I probably didn't make it very clear. I was referring to a 0W-30 with a high HT/HS similar to GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back