why no supertech for $20 walmart oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
did a quick search here but unable to find an answer. the $20 walmart oil change uses quaker state conventional. for the same price why doesn't walmart offer its house brand supertech but in higher level semisynthetic or even full synthetic? or offer a $15 oil change using st conventional? im sure that qs offers marketing support to walmart but ive wondered about a house brand that isn't given top billing by its own management...

Originally Posted by jstert
im sure that qs offers marketing support to walmart

I believe you arrived at the correct answer.

Shell pays marketing support for that offering.
Just like Castrol pays marketing support for all other OC offerings at the World of Wally.

There is no confirmation whether it is the Supertech or not?
Who knows if it is Supertech branded as QS?
Or at least what is the in drum where the oil is dispensed from.

Originally Posted by Tdbo
Just like Castrol pays marketing support for all other OC offerings at the World of Wally.

Some Wal-Mart's offer Valvoline. At least one offers Pennzoil.

I take my used oil back to Walmart for disposal. The Walmart I go to uses Castrol in the plastic bag lined boxes.
Walmart might use different brands depending on the area.

51OCOEAKIfL.jpg

its ALWAYS about the $$$$, manufacturers switch oil manufacturers recommendations regularly for more PROFITS!!!

As said above, it's the marketing. QS in quick lubes is a parallel distribution channel that won't directly affect bottled oil sales. And a customer not into API oil specs might assume that a generic oil change is no good, but are enchanted by the idea of getting a brand name they've heard of. Something a little special. We get threads here wondering if WMs name brand oil is somehow inferior from time to time.

I can get a VWB change from a local tire outlet for less money, but given the choice between QS and ST, I'd probably take the later. Not that it would make difference on a 5,000 mile change interval.

$20 oil change is likely a loss leader these days. If someone is sponsoring it with the condition of using their branded oil, why not?

Last edited:
Some people would balk at a cheap oil change with SuperTech oil, since it would be something that they've never heard of before.

But add the words "Quaker State" and it instantly adds legitimacy with the use of a national name brand. But who knows if it is actually QS oil or not.

I've personally walked away from using Pennzoil oil, due to pricing. I used to use it in nearly everything.

I'm using QS and Shell oils instead. I've been getting Formula Shell as low as $1.77 a quart.

Originally Posted by jstert
or offer a $15 oil change using st conventional?

They used to do that, but it's probably been 12 years or so ago...

WM's $20 gimme is they want you stranded in their store for 45 minutes where presumably, you'll shop. They won't touch the rest of your car.

A tire store's $20 loss leader is they'll pull your air filter, look for brake trouble, check your belts, and upsell these and other services. They might do adequate work but the upsold stuff is dealer-expensive. Might be good for a mechanically inept car owner, but could be trouble if they break your air box by opening it for the 100th time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ST oil is available in bulk, while QSAD, VWB, and others are-the bottling has to make it more expensive. Not saying WPP nor XOM don't sell bulk oil out of a truck, but SOPUS must be (currently) making them a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Tdbo

Some Wal-Mart's offer Valvoline. At least one offers Pennzoil.

Stores around here are featuring Castrol and have for some time.

The QS for cheap oil changes is in 55 gal barrels, Supertech doesn't come that way, so
QS is the cheaper option.

IF you want ST oil, they'll put it in, but it'll cost you extra.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by dwendt44
The QS for cheap oil changes is in 55 gal barrels, Supertech doesn't come that way, so
QS is the cheaper option.

IF you want ST oil, they'll put it in, but it'll cost you extra.

My 2¢

My store Quaker State comes in the Eco Box. Everything comes in an Eco box. The only thing not Eco box is the "standard oil change" which is in 500 gallon tanks of 5w-30 and 5w-20. Depending on region it's either Pennzoil and Castrol, with very few stores doing Valvoline. My store does Pennzoil. A big tanker truck comes and fills them when they get around half.

For a while, the WM I worked at around 2007 offered a $17 SuperTech oil change, vs. something like $23.97 for Pennzoil. They weren't really 'supposed' to.

Apparently SOPUS put a stop to that pretty darn quick, but not before I got 2 of those changes done to my Cavalier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back