Why no rear wipers on some coupes/all sedans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is it depends on the slope angle of the rear window.

Coupes have flatter window so water accumulate easier than sedans that have steeper window which water shed off automatically.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Coupes have flatter window so water accumulate easier than sedans that have steeper window which water shed off automatically.

However, station wagons have an even steeper rear window, yet their window gets dirty even faster and so they require a wiper.

Interesting topic.

My wife had an Integra when we were dating and I can't say that I ever really needed the rear wiper when driving it, simply didn't get that dirty.

With her last two SUVs I guess the lack of a tapered rear means the pressure gradient is greater/more abrupt inviting dirt and salt spray up into that low pressure area and land on the window. Both the old CR-V and the MDX need the rear wiper.

My TSX rear window never gets dirty, even when there's salt on the road.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

However, station wagons have an even steeper rear window, yet their window gets dirty even faster and so they require a wiper.

All down to aerodynamics. In a sedan/coupe air is flowing over the back window almost constantly while moving, keeping it clean. On a steeper rear window like an SUV etc, it's almost vertical, which means that air just flows past the back, not actually over the glass. It also kind of curls around under, brining road spray and dirt up onto the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back