Why no M1 0W-20 Fully synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Just this … but ask 10 folks and get 10 interpretations:

Ten interpretations aside, that is one of the least restrictive statements I've seen. Some owner's manuals say to "ONLY" use a certain grade, that one is downright permissive even with the specification.

But nevertheless that seems a bit removed from being forced to do anything. It also doesn't make any tie to your warranty.

The least restrictive mention more than one grade. Even after the temp scales have faded.
This manual has two things: Dexos and 0w20 ~ mentioned in several places … no other.
So what’s in that warning box is of no concern?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The least restrictive mention more than one grade. Even after the temp scales have faded.
This manual has two things: Dexos and 0w20 ~ mentioned in several places … no other.
So what’s in that warning box is of no concern?

Not to me, at least in the context of "can I use a slightly heavier oil". But if it means to you that you're forced into one grade, then I'd stick with what you're doing.

It would be pretty hard to say I don’t know what is “recommended” … I’ll try to get to bumper to bumper warranty period before I leave the plantation:

You're overcomplicating this.
There are four flavors of M1 in the 0W-20 grade and all of them are synthetic, although some have a higher Grp IV content than others.
Any one of them would be fine for your Nissan.
I'd personally put AFE in it, although there are also other good choices in other brands.
This old V-6 appears to be a little hard on oil, so I'd probably stick with the recommended 5K drains in the absence of a bunch of UOAs showing that the oil isn't too badly sheared after 5K, in which case you could extend drain intervals from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back