Why no M1 0W-20 Fully synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You can run 5W20 or 5W30 as well with not a single issue at all. I would run Mobil 1 5W30 in your climate personally.

I bought my wife's 2010 Mustang GT 4.6 from a friend of mine who ran Mobil One 5W-20 the first 43,000 miles and changed it every 7,500 miles. The engine looked very clean w/o any varnish at all inside it. It did very well. I'm using Motorcraft 5W-20 in it now and changing it at 5,000 miles. You can use the other grade of Mobil One with complete confidence.

Guess I never noticed that there is no plain ol M1 0W20, I have not looked all that closely at the 0W20 and 0W30 AFE oils but I'd argue that it would be deceptive advertising to claim they are fuel economy oils unless their 100C viscosities are lower than other XW20 and XW30 oil in their line or in the industry.

I did look up the 100C viscosities for M1 0W30 AFE and plain ol 5W30 and the former is 10.9cSt while the latter is 11.0 cSt. Guess AFE is about 1% lower, but there are a lot of XW30 oils out there with lower viscosities at that temp (9.3 cSt is the minimum for a XW30 at 100C).

18.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Guess I never noticed that there is no plain ol M1 0W20, I have not looked all that closely at the 0W20 and 0W30 AFE oils but I'd argue that it would be deceptive advertising to claim they are fuel economy oils unless their 100C viscosities are lower than other XW20 and XW30 oil in their line or in the industry.

I bet there's some disclaimer wording that specifically refers to a 5w-20 and 5w-30, respectively, or worse.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I bet there's some disclaimer wording that specifically refers to a 5w-20 and 5w-30, respectively, or worse.
wink.gif

What they say is the following:

Quote:
*Savings would be based on 0.2-2.3 percent potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity

They say the same thing in a couple of different places. If you read it, what grade are they specifically comparing against? None. It could be 20W-50.

Here we go again with talk about Oil in north america and Faux synthetics.

The only Mobil 1 synthetic oil is M1 Ep 0w20 according to XoM documentation.

Do I have to hit you on the head about "fully synthetic oil" being an advertising term not a technical term?

Wake up Sheeple!

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
My short OCIs make it overkill and it's almost to the cost. I get EP at $22. AFE is ~ $40. I was thinking that's a waste.

But I'm trying to understand why M1 isn't available in 0w-20 weight?

If you're using short OCIs and want to rationalize the use of Mobil synthetic, why not take a step down and use Mobil Super 0w20?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Here we go again with talk about Oil in north america and Faux synthetics.

The only Mobil 1 synthetic oil is M1 Ep 0w20 according to XoM documentation.

Do I have to hit you on the head about "fully synthetic oil" being an advertising term not a technical term?

Wake up Sheeple!

Actually no, here we go with something else.

The problem with your faux logic is you always single out a company while look what’s in your signature …

Sadly you know good and well they mix several base stocks in each application …companies that actually make a wide variety of base stocks have that ability at a price point meeting target specs …
Where do you think Amsoil gets material

Originally Posted By: Budman
Nissan recommends 0w-20 (5W-30 is an option)

I just got a new 2017.5 Nissan Murano (will be our 3rd Murano!) and they must have changed it in this mid-cycle refresh because NO where in my manual does it state 5w-30 is an "option". It now just says 0w-20 for all temps and service. I even tried to find anywhere they may have worded it I could use something other than 0w-20 for higher temps or something but nothing.

I am guessing since 0w-20 is pretty much only available as a synthetic (I know there might be some obscure blends out there but I haven't seen any), Nissan is comfortable just simplifying the recommended oil. Saved them a little bit of $$ on ink in the manual...

Also, someone said to follow the OLM but the Murano doesn't have on. I don't think any Nissan does??

BTW I have just hit 5k miles on mine and I have a jug of Valvoline Synthetic 0w-20 ready for this weekend to do. It is currently on Rollback at Wal-Mart for $21.97 in the new easy pour jugs.

Cool! I also have the 2017.5. Nissans owners manual is so redundant and complicated. Check the recommended fluid charts in Section 10-2 of the manual.

I have Mobil I 0W-20 in my Camry V6. Purchased it at Walmart. I think it was about $22.89 for five quart jug. You seem to be confused. At least I am confused. What are you asking? ALL Mobil I products are full synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The problem with your faux logic is you always single out a company while look what’s in your signature …

Sadly you know good and well they mix several base stocks in each application …companies that actually make a wide variety of base stocks have that ability at a price point meeting target specs …

I just that most ordinary folks think there getting synthetic oil, and they are NOT. Most also put Mobil 1 in high regard.

The apple ain't a banana no matter how loud BIG oil says, Banana, banana BANANA!

As far as what I'm running -I Know what I'm buying.

I don't like The latest full synthetic magnatec 5w30 in my Rogue right now.
The Semi worked better for my needs.
Current Junk appeared to shear down to near water and never came back after my last 100mile trip.
Yes, Maybe I need to look at my fuel dilution before I complain. But I had NO problem with the 10w30 qsud this past summer.

-Ken

I caught a basket full of the clearance Magnatec blend last year ~ gave most to my son to build him his first stash …
Rhino ramps, some discount filters, misc etc … (Change your own oil time, dude)
Actually have the 10w30 in all my OPE right now ~ why not …

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ohh yeah that exactly right my friend. There's a number of different Mobil 1 0w20s out for sure. I would roll with M1 0w20 Extended Performance due to it's relatively high HTHS of 2.7. Given the nature of the VQ motors to shear oil out of grade.... I would rather have a higher starting HTHS to begin with. Also being that M1 Extended Performance is thought to be a "higher" Pao base would make it more resistant to losing it's viscosity over the course of a run.

THIS!!! This just sounds right! I've heard the thin oils start good and sheers down. This was my concern on this engine as well, with such a small sump considering I am going 2.5miles over the recommended OCI or 7.5miles vs. 5k. I am thinking I will just stay with EP for this very reason.

I have a 2017 Nissan Murano w/ 18k ODO. Nissan recommends 0w-20 (5W-30 is an option) and I want to stick with Mobil 1 branded 0W-20 if possible. Based on my driving conditions, I choose to go with the M1 0w-20 in Extended Performance Oil with extending OCI to 7.5k from 5k as recommended. But that's only because M1 isn't available in the 0W-20 weight.

I've always thought 7.5k OCI on Mobil 1 Full Synthetic is a walk in the park. Why is 0W-20 Mobil 1 available in EP, AFE, and AP, and High milege formulations and not the Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 0W-20? I thought Mobil 1 being quality is not thin oil that sheers or breaks down...I need an education...what am I missing here?

M1-EP is easy work and probably overkill and uneconomical/unnecessary for going half the OCI sweet spot. But I'd like to stay with Mobil as my preferred brand based on the Group, certifications and specs and gives me comfort knowing my MDX requires the same grade and keeps it simple for me.

Hopefully, this hasn't been discussed here...apologies in advance if it has been discussed here before.

While your car is under warranty from the Manufacturer I would follow their OCI's. But thats just me.

We all know the oil can go farther, but explain that to NISSAN if you have a failure. Good Luck with that.

Jeff

I understand your question and have always thought it odd myself but I drive all FCA vehicles so I have not bothered with it because no Mobil 1 has the MS-6395 certificate.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
AFE is synthetic. It's just a 0w so they market its fuel savings. Pretty much all Mobil 1 is synthetic.

Is this a serious post?

Actually, I did not know this..hence the post and my question. I don't profess to be an oil pro...like my original post said...I need an education on this. Was trying to get some understanding.

Has anyone completed an oil analysis, content comparison or have graph comparisons of 0W-20 AFE vs. 0W-20 EP? From what I can see on mobile website is the EP offers better protection from oil breakdown, higher temperature protection and the EP is Dexos 1 Gen 2 (good for DIs like my MDX???)

There should be UOA's and maybe even VOA's of both on this web site. I know one member here from Canada reported better UOA'S with 0W-20 AFE than 0W-20 EP in his truck's use. Not sure on username - maybe Garak?

There is more than one VOA of 0W-20 on PQIA's web site, but none yet of 0W-20 EP or AFE. I think 0W-20 AFE has the lowest CCS @ -30°C of any oil I've seen tested there.

M1 0W-20 AFE June 2014 Link

http://www.pqiadata.org/Mobil10W20dexos.html

http://www.pqiadata.org/Mobil1_0W20_dexos.html

Can you order 0W-20 AFE or EP on Walmart.com to get the Walmart price, for either in-store pickup or home delivery, instead of FLAPS pricing? That may be a practical approach.

If you drive less than 15K miles per year M1 AFE should be sufficient. All M1 oil guarantees have a 1 year OCI time limit in addition to ther mileage limit.

Mobil 1 (including AFE)

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty

Mobil 1 EP

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-ep-oil-warranty

Mobil 1 AP

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: 4WD

I just that most ordinary folks think there getting synthetic oil, and they are NOT. Most also put Mobil 1 in high regard.

The apple ain't a banana no matter how loud BIG oil says, Banana, banana BANANA!

As far as what I'm running -I Know what I'm buying.

I don't like The latest full synthetic magnatec 5w30 in my Rogue right now.
The Semi worked better for my needs.
Current Junk appeared to shear down to near water and never came back after my last 100mile trip.
Yes, Maybe I need to look at my fuel dilution before I complain. But I had NO problem with the 10w30 qsud this past summer.

-Ken

I've been running PPPP in my truck, fully synthetic GTL Group III base. Synthesized from natural gas to synthetic crude oil analog, then refined.

No controversy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back