Why More Expensive Oil? For My Entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing some around here constantly questioning why someone would go for a higher performance oil over an adequately performing cheaper oil for, say, a 5k OCI.

I can only explain my reasons, so I speak for nobody else, but I thought I'd try to help you understand. Please also understand that it is an opinion and in my mind makes perfect sense. In your mind, it might not, and that's ok. I have respect for each person here and their own priorities. I do understand the logic of a minimalist approach where money is saved and oil performance, and ultimately, this is the most efficient route, if keeping costs low while maintaining good engine health is your priority.

I like to run more expensive oils, preferably PAO based Mobil 1, such as EP or AP in my Jeep, and I plan on doing only 5k OCI's that may occasionally creep up or even draw out to 8k. I am fully aware that much less expensive oils will do the job well, including Supertech. However, I tend to run my Jeep pretty hard, so I like the high temperature safety margin these oils give, for situations such as rock crawling in 90+ heat. Would I ever really stress an oil like Supertech? Probably never, especially given that I'm running it in a Pentastar, which doesn't have DI or forced induction. I also want peace of mind in case an OCI gets drawn out due to life circumstances. I know with a Fram Ultra or M1 filter and M1 AP in there, for example, I could go 15k or 16k and not feel like I'm hurting anything. I know I could probably do that with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, as well.

So again, it may make no sense to someone and they may wonder why some run this kind of pattern. Is it a waste of money? Not in my mind. I wonder if some who jump up and down that this is a waste never spends money on unecessary things. I don't drink, smoke, or eat at expensive restraunts. I consider maintaining and tinkering with my vehicles as much a hobby as anything else.

I've done a UOA with each oil change so far in that Jeep, too. 25 bucks a pop. Why? Curiosity and entertainment. No other reason. I don't have anything happening with that engine that necessitates it. It runs, feels, and sounds like it is operating exactly as designed. I'll do another with this OCI because I went from Mobil 1 EP/AP oils to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I want to see what it does differently. Again, curiosity, nothing more.

Btw, I paid through the nose for that PUP 0w20. You can't find it anywhere here, so I had to get it off Jet.com. I think I paid 35 or 40 bucks for a 5 qt jug. My plan is to change it at 5k. I'll post the UOA when I get there. I'm at about 3500, so it will be a little bit. I may also decide to go ahead and run it out to somewhere between 6k and 7.5k. It just depends on how I feel and where it lands on the calendar.

Last edited:
Red line Ester oil seems to excel under extreme heat and pressure....U should run three consecutive intervals for optimum results....$$$

I ask "why" to hear the variety of answers, not to "snipe" at what an answer may be.

I learn a lot more when I'm exposed to a variety of thoughts and approaches driven by different circumstance.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

I ask "why" to hear the variety of answers, not to "snipe" at what an answer may be.

I learn a lot more when I'm exposed to a variety of thoughts and approaches driven by different circumstance.

UD

I've never seen you snipe, so please don't take it that way. There are plenty around here that do, though.

I've always dumped a quality synthetic at manufacture suggested intervals as well. I'm sure I could double them but I've had a good run the last few years of getting PP, Mobil and valvoline jugs for under $10.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

I changed the post and removed the snipe part. I think that was a poor choice of wording on my part and I appreciate you pointing it out.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
OP, your maintenance plan is all good by me. I'd rather buy one of your vehicles than I would a long OCI vehicle.

Scott

I had a 99 Silverado that I purchased new. It had the standard silver bottle Mobil 1 5w30 in it from 1500 miles until I sold it at 130k or so, every 3k to 5k miles. (When I first bought it I was still on a 3k mindset with 5k being an extended run. I'd say around about 60k or so I started regularly going 5k). Anyway, I sold it to my secretary's husband. He still has it and continued the M1 5w30 routine. The truck has over 300k on it now and the engine runs strong. The rocker panels are rusted out, though, Lol! He paid my initial asking price because he knew my maintenance routine and that I am a bit of a nerd about that stuff. He didn't even try to negotiate. It was a fair price, though, but I still set it with the expectation of some negotiation. I'd say we both got a great deal out of it, looking back on it.

No worries didnt/dont take anything personal- I manage a global group of sales guys and I have thick skin.

Every email thread would be better communicated at a campfire in 1/3 the time it takes to write rewrite and try to balance a mail.

UD

Last edited:
Another reason folks go cheaper is because they aren't going to be 1st & last owners. They keep them 2-3-5-7 years, then either sell them or trade them-in, less than 125k on them. Many times only 36K.
I usually have mine (purchased new) for 18 years (250K). MY M.O. is similar to yours..... buy good stuff and change a little more often.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Another reason folks go cheaper is because they aren't going to be 1st & last owners. They keep them 2-3-5-7 years, then either sell them or trade them-in, less than 125k on them. Many times only 36K.
I usually have mine (purchased new) for 18 years (250K). MY M.O. is similar to yours..... buy good stuff and change a little more often.

Yup lots of short term ownership that tends to spend as little as possible.

Never seen a schedule like yours hurt a vehicle.
Owning a boat company I've seen tons of worn out 1/2 tons that I believe would have benefitted from your schedule.

The Bitog line of "you'll never wear out an engine before the rest of the vehicle" simply isn't the truth in my world.

You get to know a family or guys truck and see how they hold up. You can see who takes care of what and how over decades.

The " why better oil" also goes hand in hand with " why magnets" which Im a proponent which causes lots of debate.

UD

IndyFan, I'm the same way. I was at my sister's in Memphis last weekend and we had some friends over, one of whom is a good mechanic. He was giving me crap for weighing out the ground chuck for the hamburgers, and he brought up the fact that I get UOAs done, making the point that I'm very meticulous. He said, "Oh, I just always use Amsoil in my Tundra and I've never had a UOA done and it runs fine."

He's right - I have 100% confidence that his Tundra will live a long and happy life and probably wouldn't serve any real purpose for him to get UOAs done.

But it's interesting and entertaining for me to do it, and that's what I explained to him.

Call me a nerd!

I'm undecided on it. My fleet is getting old but I'm not in a rush to flip 'em. But I've yet to see where "good" oil is needed in my particular fleet, not with the easy lives they live. But the two "good" ones have always gotten synthetic. Maybe they'll just go cheap ST on 5k OCI's now that one is past 150k and the other not far from 200k. Just seems simplest and best bet without going overboard.

Toying with going synthetic in the other one, but "conventional cleans better" and I know it's got some varnish on the inside. It's also 20 years old and I kinda don't care either.

Originally Posted by supton
I'm undecided on it. My fleet is getting old but I'm not in a rush to flip 'em. But I've yet to see where "good" oil is needed in my particular fleet, not with the easy lives they live. But the two "good" ones have always gotten synthetic. Maybe they'll just go cheap ST on 5k OCI's now that one is past 150k and the other not far from 200k. Just seems simplest and best bet without going overboard.

Toying with going synthetic in the other one, but "conventional cleans better" and I know it's got some varnish on the inside. It's also 20 years old and I kinda don't care either.

What do you mean, "conventional cleans better"?

If you pay even the slightest attention to rebates sales and promotions it does not seem like there is a lot to be saved anyway by going with a budget oil. I suspect those running conventional to the limits basically do it for their entertainment too. Different strokes.

In the grand scheme of things the higher price of certain oils equals out to one or two lattes from your favorite coffee shop spread out over the time you run that oil.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

What do you mean, "conventional cleans better"?

Supposedly synthetic isn't as good--it's better at resisting breaking down but then isn't as good as mopping up the mess. So goes the lore. It comes up from time to time. This link goes into a bit about varnish.

The detergent package is probably more important (I think that might have been stated in that link, I only glanced at it). I run conventional more because it's a cheap old car that doesn't care.

Originally Posted by PimTac
In the grand scheme of things the higher price of certain oils equals out to one or two lattes from your favorite coffee shop spread out over the time you run that oil.

I don't drink latte's, don't buy coffee very often. But I do about an oil change per month on my fleet if I'm doing 5k OCI's on all of them. But it's a small cost compared to the gas bill!

I've used rebates a time or two. Probably should think about it again at my current consumption rate.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I don't drink latte's, don't buy coffee very often. But I do about an oil change per month on my fleet if I'm doing 5k OCI's on all of them. But it's a small cost compared to the gas bill!

I've used rebates a time or two. Probably should think about it again at my current consumption rate.

Not a bad idea considering your usage.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
OP, your maintenance plan is all good by me. I'd rather buy one of your vehicles than I would a long OCI vehicle.

Scott

I had a 99 Silverado that I purchased new. It had the standard silver bottle Mobil 1 5w30 in it from 1500 miles until I sold it at 130k or so, every 3k to 5k miles. (When I first bought it I was still on a 3k mindset with 5k being an extended run. I'd say around about 60k or so I started regularly going 5k). Anyway, I sold it to my secretary's husband. He still has it and continued the M1 5w30 routine. The truck has over 300k on it now and the engine runs strong. The rocker panels are rusted out, though, Lol! He paid my initial asking price because he knew my maintenance routine and that I am a bit of a nerd about that stuff. He didn't even try to negotiate. It was a fair price, though, but I still set it with the expectation of some negotiation. I'd say we both got a great deal out of it, looking back on it.

Smart man. Just engine based, you didn't even get you M1 dirty with a 99 Silverado and 5k. Not even considering the 3k dumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back