Why Mobil1 high mileage oils are not dexos certified?

I noticed M1 5w30 HM and M1 5w30 EP HM do not have the dexos stamp on them. Educate me to why is that please.

Thanks

Very common for HM oils to lack many of the approvals that their main stream counterpart does. HM oils are aimed at a different market would be my speculation as to why.

Occam's razor would indicate that they already have DEXOS approved oils in the shelf, what benefit would it be for the, to duplicate?
Yup, and it used to be the more DEXOS-approved products you offer, the more you're going to pay in licensing fees. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Every different grade or blend of oil must be separately tested for dexos approval. Extra tests cost extra money.

Yup, and it used to be the more DEXOS-approved products you offer, the more you're going to pay in licensing fees. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Depending on the license and fee structure.

According to some license costs mean nothing - a position I disagree with.

Could be the oil - could be fee avoidance.

Interesting debate here on who to trust when the words " meets or exceeds" get used vs a hard spec.

Most people will used high mileage oil after warranty is expired and secondly save cost for manufactured and not giving license fees

I notice that Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife is Dexos Certified.

whatever the case, Mobil 1High Mileage is on tap for the my next OCI.

They don't even have the Petroleum Starburst on them lol. But I have used them to good effect, I don't think there is a better high mileage oil at reducing leaks out there...

Actually it looks like the SP rated regular HM oils do have the Resource Conserving Label now. The SN didn't...

My car was made in 2004 D1G2 is not and was not required then. It will likely go 300K miles or better on anything made today that is API But I likely will die before it gets there. But I won't be sad if I'm still able to drive in 20 more years.

I actually kind of considered the non-dexos oils as better. The high mileage oils have probably higher anti-wear additives like zinc and phosphorus. Kind of gives them more of a performance oil feel to them. It's also said that the high mileage oils might have a slightly thicker substance to them. If people are in high mileage territory I think the slightly higher viscosity in anti-wear material can only help their applications

Back