Why Mobil 1 shows higher wear numbers in UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lubrizol website may have given us a hint.

They state that high detergent levels which would help with engine cleanliness work against fuel ecomonomy and the friction modifiers in the oil. The Dispersants also work against fuel economy.

It's all a balance. The consumer can only choose performance based on specifications.

Some racing oils like Redline and JGR don't use detergents in their racing oils. I don't think M1 necessarily has any problems with this.

For me economy is at the bottom of my list when choosing an oil. Protection, longevity and cleanliness are at the top. These will save your engine and the money you save in not replacing the engine will more than make up for the "extra" fuel you might use.
wink.gif

Deposits can lead to significantly higher wear than just small Fe particles. Notice for GF-5, deposit control is one of the areas that they are improving.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
For me economy is at the bottom of my list when choosing an oil. Protection, longevity and cleanliness are at the top. These will save your engine and the money you save in not replacing the engine will more than make up for the "extra" fuel you might use.
wink.gif

The thing is Stevie,any of todays oil will keep your engine going,and going strong.You just cant exceed the oils capabilities with ridiculous oci`s. etc.

Agreed, I'm only using Amsoil because my lifter ticking in the cold winter drives me nuts... My next vehicle will get the cheapest oil that will get the job done (Dino or Syn) as the spec's out today are more than adequate!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Deposits can lead to significantly higher wear than just small Fe particles. Notice for GF-5, deposit control is one of the areas that they are improving.
At what point do deposits cause wear and you have to define deposits. Carbon sticking the rings would be bad a bit of sludge would not be as bad. Though we would like spotless but probably doesn't matter as mostproperly maintained engines are pretty clean. What does it matter if you drive the car to the recycler at 300,000 miles still running good but with some sludge in the engine and everything else on the car falling apart.

Originally Posted By: steve20
as stated before, with Mobil-1, you'll have the cleanest worn out engine on the block--continue using it folks

Steve

Whoa,the cleanest worn out engine??

A passive pun against Mobil 1. Cleanest meaning that Mobil 1 does a good job cleaning, and worn meaning all that Iron is leaving your car so the parts are all worn out, but clean.

Agreed. Mobil (TDT and D1 ESP) and Amsoil (DEO) are also very close in terms of wear in my VW TDI too. Close enough to be within the margin of error or close enough that it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: steve20
as stated before, with Mobil-1, you'll have the cleanest worn out engine on the block--continue using it folks

Steve

What a JOKE!!!!
indifferent0018.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back