Why keep a big oil Stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some members buy and keep a large amount of oil/filters. I usuallly just buy it when I need it.

I may decide to try something different the next oil change and with oil tech constantly changing I would not want to get stuck with alot of "old oil".

Is it a sickness, a compulsion, or a money saving thing?

So why do you do it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I see some members buy and keep a large amount of oil/filters. I usuallly just buy it when I need it.

I may decide to try something different the next oil change and with oil tech constantly changing I would not want to get stuck with alot of "old oil".

Is it a sickness, a compulsion, or a money saving thing?

So why do you do it?

I like to buy as I go. I do not see why people stock pile 100s of quarts of oil.

I guess its a collecting thing. People like to collect.

It has to be a sickness. I need more oil like I need a hole in my head. But the PB Peak Oil deal has me on the run again this morning. I'm hoping they still have the deal this week.

AD

Why have a big stash?

Because the more you buy, the more you save!!
thumbsup2.gif

I have just two qts of Edge in the trunk of my car. Well ok, in box is brake fluid. ATF fluid. WD 40, towel's, tire pressure gauge. And some other odds and ends

I don't think the purpose behind it is to have a big stash. The purpose is to purchase the oil of one's choice when it's on sale, keeping the cost per quart as low as possible. The side effect of such shopping practices is more oil than one can use in a year or more. I had a mini-stash of my own when Penz Platinum had the rebates flowing.

Strictly a money saving thing for me. Plus my family fleet gets about 17 oil changes per year. So, I am using about 96 qts per year. That is before you get into trans, diff etc. Saving all those trips to a dealer/ quick lube etc. is also another factor. But the cost savings is several thousand each year. So, buying large quantities on closeout is worth the trouble. My average cost for a quart of name brand synthetic is $2.14/qt.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Now here is the question. Before discovering BITOG, how many of you had an oil stash?

Never more than 20 quarts.

Now here is the question. Before discovering BITOG, how many of you had an oil stash?

Before BITOG I didn't realize there were free rebates on oil, so the answer is no for me.

John

There are also folk that think their favorite brew might be forced off the market by government regulations. I know lots of folk that run 10W-30 in their cars and trucks specked for 5W-20. Some run XW-40 and even 15W-50 in these same engines. When these engines run with better than EPA fuel economy, no consumption or leak/seep, and run these engines for very high miles, they are not going to change.

Our local Walmarts get oil shipments on Thursday night. There is usually someone at each of our local 4 stores, early Friday morning, that buys the entire shipment of Valvoline full synthetic MaxLife and Mobil 1 15W-50, IN THE QUART BOTTLES.

To sickness, and compulsion, you also have to add paranoia. I have to get it, hide it away, before it is all gone.

Fortunately, I am not one of those sick, compulsive, paranoid people, but I must go now and rotate my stock of quart bottles of M1 15W-50.

Oil is cheap. A buck or two here or there doesn't mean much except for the psyche. If I find a good sale I may buy enough for my next OC on both cars and that's it.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably would make a great psychiatric study.

So would understanding why people spend money on UOA's to extend the OCI just a bit, when it would actually be cheaper and more convenient to just lower the OCI and not pay for a UOA.

So would trying to figure out why people attach mystical powers to the UOA regarding the condition of the engine and effectiveness of the oil far beyond what it is capable of telling us.

Always had a stash.

Buy low and save. Like most other things, planning will save you $$.

When you can do a oil change and filter for UNDER $5 total like I have for a LONG time, stashes make $ense.

Bill

Money saving for me here as well. When its $10 off regular price for a 4.4L jug over the life of my warranty. Works out to $160 in savings compared to buying on demand.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
So would understanding why people spend money on UOA's to extend the OCI just a bit, when it would actually be cheaper and more convenient to just lower the OCI and not pay for a UOA.

I have often wondered that myself. Let's assume 100,000 miles and someone wants to do a 10k OCI with dino oil & ST filter ($10 cost per OCI) So, skip the $25 UOA and do an 7500 OCI for the same price. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back