why jams appear for no apparent reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny.

I think all highways should have lane dependent speed limits.

For example, starting at the right hand lane would be 55mph then 65mph then 75mph for the left. : )

You pick the lane you feel most comfortable driving in.

People will still suffer from lane envy!
LOL.gif

The problem stems from the one thing is politically incorrect to punish.....stupid people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
That's funny.

For example, starting at the right hand lane would be 55mph then 65mph then 75mph for the left. : )

Id settle for people just knowing that the far left lane is a passing lane, not a lane for travel.

Read an article in New Scientist a while ago about "supercritical" traffic flow, which is heaps of cars moving faster than theory would suggest they could.

They claimed that a single impatient and aggressive person could create a cascade braking effect that would never recover without closing the feeder roads, and reintroducing traffic when the road had cleared...that actually shifted more cars than leaving the jam there for hours.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
The problem stems from the one thing is politically incorrect to punish.....stupid people.

You hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately, Charlotte has an abundance of stupid people. We get traffic jams at ALL times of day for no reason other than the majority of people here are TERRIBLE drivers!

We've all seen guys like that - they can't slow down to match traffic conditions. They speed up only to jam on the brakes and treat the car like an on/off switch instead of letting the car coast as needed. I guess you could call it "itchy pedal foot". They do an incredible job wasting gas.

I've read some people here call it "slinky" traffic or the "accordion effect". I do my best to try to smooth out this effect when I encounter that kind of traffic.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I've read some people here call it "slinky" traffic or the "accordion effect". I do my best to try to smooth out this effect when I encounter that kind of traffic.

And then some dimwit seeing the space you've left dives into it, and slams on the brakes.

Originally Posted By: cosynthetics
That's funny.

why you got to go around spreading common sense. SHAME ON YOU. don't you know you are cheating our local police and court departments out of their hard-earn dollars.

There is one driver that does not receive credit for the hard work they do. It's the Regulator. They know what speed the traffic should held to and they do that job. If there is a gap in the traffic they can jump right in and light up the brakes and get the flow back down to the correct speed. If you ever try to stay at a steady pace in an open spot in the traffic they are there to get you back in line. Closing up those open spaces is a big job but they are up to the task. And you have to remember that if someone is low-ridding in the fast lane they are more important than you and you should just back off and keep in line. And if you don't think that Regulators are important just remember that they are not the ones getting tickets, it's all the other drivers that are passing in the right lanes or trying to keep up an even pace. Next time you come upon a Regulator remember it's a tough job and you should keep in line where you belong.

Yep. WGN Chicago had a program about traffic jams a couple years ago with similar conclusions. They said that one person jamming the brakes has a domino effect that can last for miles. The further back it goes the more apparent the effect is. Someone slowing down 5mph at the front can mean people a mile back are coming to a complete stop.

It amazes me how many people don't know how to merge, can't go with traffic flow, go slow in the left lane, ride your bumper when the left lane is open, etc, etc, etc.

People here in MN seem especially clueless about merging. It's simple - if a car is coming, speed up and merge ahead or slow down and merge behind. But they all seem to speed up and then awkwardly jam the brakes and just about cause an accident.

Different cities seem to have different highway driving styles and IQ's. All are not equal.

Last edited:
Also I hate it when I'm in the slow lane with no one around and a merging car comes up the ramp and right at me on a collision course when the ram is long and there is plenty of time to go ahead or behind me. They come straight at me. I know there are three choices; ahead, behind or center punch me, but many drivers become fixated. You also see these fixated drivers out in the lanes. The freeway will be clear and you will see two cars. One leading and another right behind, very close when there are two or three other lanes completely clear with no other traffic.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

It amazes me how many people don't know how to merge, can't go with traffic flow, go slow in the left lane, ride your bumper when the left lane is open, etc, etc, etc.

People here in MN seem especially clueless about merging. It's simple - if a car is coming, speed up and merge ahead or slow down and merge behind. But they all seem to speed up and then awkwardly jam the brakes and just about cause an accident.

Different cities seem to have different highway driving styles and IQ's. All are not equal.

I can't wait for the snow birds to go back up north. It's good that they support the local economy but most of them can't freaking drive. Especially the left lane thing.

I can't access the article from here, but back in 1960 or so (from an article in New Scientist back then, there was a study of optimal traffic flow in a new, long, toll tunnel.
The research then indicated that there is a natural 'modal flow rate' for any lane (dependent on a variety of things -such as lane width, obstacles, etc.). This could best be expressed as a number of vehicles per hour.
When they adjusted the controls on the toll booths to allow no more than the correct number of vehicles per hour to enter, traffic flowed perfectly, except for accidents, of course. If more than the modal rate was allowed to enter, sooner or later someone would have to 'brake check', then the car behind them would 'brake check', etc. The first car would resume speed, but a little knot of between 3 and eight vehicles (a 'modal node') would move back down he lane at about 2 to 3 miles an hour. Only a gap in traffic in the lane sufficent that one vehicle did not have to 'break check' could eliminate the 'modal node', otherwise it would propagate all the way back to the beginning of the lane. If 'modal nodes' occurred, the throughput was always less than the 'modal flow rate'.
The particular solution for that tunnel was, as I recall, to allow six vehicles (one from each toll booth) in, then allow a gap of at least eight 'vehicle units' before allowing the next group of six vehicles in.

In Mississauga, some on-ramps to the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway are metered with a traffic light. It probably helps traffic congestion, but jams from Toronto eventually make their way up.

One time I was behind some idiot who accelerated harder to beat the yellow light than he did to merge onto the highway.

So I figure VDOT ought to put a yellow light at the end of the on-ramp. This will get the idiots to think it's going to change to red so they'll actually accelerate onto the highway.

Originally Posted By: Squishy
In Mississauga, some on-ramps to the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) highway are metered with a traffic light.

They have that here in MN, as well. It's complete bollocks. Like metering on-ramp traffic is going to help with traffic jams. I swear they do it here because no one knows how to merge.

When I lived in Chicago, there were no on-ramp traffic lights, and things worked just fine. People in Chicago drove a bit faster and were generally more aggressive drivers than people in MN, but they were also better drivers.

One of the first things I noticed when moving here was wow, people here just can't handle expressway driving.

Last edited:
You must have lived in Chicago a long time ago. Almost all the inner city on-ramps have metering lights here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back