Why is XM radio illegal in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSV

There seems to be quite a few folks smuggling it in and using US addresses to order it & pay the bill.

dunno.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Probably concerns over "cultural imperialism", which has been one of Canada's hot button issues for a long time.

The Canadian government is trying to protect their own radio stations from this kind of competition.

John

I figure Canada and to a much lesser degree Mexico, have to work really hard to retain their own identities.

Must be hard having to sit next to the 500 pound canary everyday of your life.

Thank God Canada and Mexico are different!

I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with XM's contractural obligations to the music industry.

IE, they want more money for Canada.

quote:

Probably concerns over "cultural imperialism",

I remember a series from Canada "Due South" with Paul Gross. He would take a (very polite) jab at the USA once in a while. In one show ..he referrence the domination of the film industry by the USA ..where Canadian cimematographers and directors were reduced to "crime reinactments" to make a living (this was a howl with background music and such).

Like the wind that blows in thunder
Like the stallion on the fly
I got it all and I'm standing tall
Underneath these Blue Alberta Skies
We're gonna ride forever
You can't keep horsemen in a cage
Should the angels call, well it's only then
I might pull in the reins

I actually liked that show. It had several levels of content.

Probably because, like someone above said, they do not want media competition. Same reason Fox News is banned in Canada. All their media is left dominated, well, at least that's what Bill Orielly said today on the radio.

I remember reading an article in a flyer that came in my newspaper last winter about playing music at events in Canada. They actually pull royalties for it or something. It was strange, I have the article I will have to dig it up.

Eric

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpot01:
I remember reading an article in a flyer that came in my newspaper last winter about playing music at events in Canada. They actually pull royalties for it or something. It was strange, I have the article I will have to dig it up.

Eric

That's true, a good friend got married last spring and the banquet room the held the reception and dance was charged a fee in advance (so therefore my friend was billed)for Canadian music that might be played. The recipient of the charge was "SOCAN" which is the "Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada".
There is one of the problems with XM in Canada. Government regulations dictate that a music radio station's playlist must contain at least 35% Canadian content. Obviously XM isn't doing this.
Why is Canada so protective of its airwaves? Because 35 years of government mandated multi-culturalism has left Canada without an identity. They have to do all they can to block U.S. culture because they feel it will somehow damage our collective identity. Apparently back in the late '70's then Prime Minister Trudeau explored the possibility of using technology to block U.S. AM radio signals. Talk about paranoid. All in all this whole endeavor has been an enormous waste of money. American culture and entertainment is everywhere and this is a fact of life. This is all indicative of a society with a bad inferority complex. That is likely why you constantly see our elites clucking their tongues about how morally superior we are to the U.S.
As for sattelite radio, a buddy has a Sirrius set up in his truck and I was blown away by the sound quality. I may get one for myself before the Feds decide to really clamp down on this concept.

This is tantamount to censorship.

Goebbels blocked Germans from listening to the BBC during the War.

Lets not talk about the Soviets either.

Cultural Identity is a joke especially in North America. We all came from somewhere else, forcefully routed the Indians and called ourself "American-Canadian-Whetever."

If Canada wants identity they should mandate tribal music as that 35%.

If Canadians want XM or Sirius let them have it.

I get the impression the Canadian goverment has created the illusion they are different(superior)to us due to the fact we are more similar than they care to admit.

Resistance is futile,

Globalism 1

Protectionism 0

Wait I up the Ante:

I say America point our Satellites at Canada no matter what the goverment says.

That way anyone can have XM or Sirius.

I doubt the Canadians would invest in Anti-Satellite Missile Technology
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpot01:

Eric

At my Mum's school, they have to pay royalties every Christmas when they do the Christmas carrols.

My take is that Canada has invested large sums of mony to implement the Terrestrail radio system, the System 149 (adopted from Europe) which would provide CD quality radio and subchannels on a UHF frequency band.

They don't want no stinkin' satellites encroaching on this new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back